Bit Baby
parich007
Accepted Solution

iMAC won't boot after RAM upgrade

Hi,

I have just received delivery of my iMAC upgrade kit.... (2x2GB Modules)

When I install both modules the system does not boot... no power on self test beep or anything

When I install either of the new new modules, I get the same ---- Nothing!

If I put my original 1GB module in one of the slots and a new 2 GB module in the other ---- it boots and shows 3GB in the system profiler ....

I have discovered that both new 2GB modules work in this manner.

I ordered the upgrade kit on the basis of the output from the Crucial Memory adviser --- the Spec of the modules delivered looks fine!!!

Can you help?

Regards

Paul

Crucial_maulmod

Re: iMAC won't boot after RAM upgrade

in reply to parich007

Hi Paul,

There are quite a few different versions of the iMac, could you please confirm the exact model of yours (i.e. processor speed etc?)  Also, please reply with the full CT part number from the module labels- this will allow us to check compatibility etc.

It could be that you have the incorrect speed, for some DDR2 iMac models there is a 667MHz and an 800MHz version.  You can check what your original memory is by looking in the System Profiler and making sure what you have matches that, if not we should get it exchanged.

Please get back to us with the above info and we can confirm what the problem is and what steps to take from there.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby
parich007

in reply to parich007

Hi,

I talked to the online advisor relating to this issue --- it seems that I should have ordered 667Mhz RAM instead of 800 Mhz ....

However, I am a bit concerned since I ordered exactly what the crucial memory advisor tool recommended

Regards

Paul

Bit Baby
dvlack

in reply to parich007

I just installed the 667 4GB kit and my iMac wouldn't boot.  I took out both pieces and swapped them and now it boots fine....

Bit Baby
glebn111

in reply to dvlack

I am having the same issue with a mid-2007 24" 2.8 ghz iMac. Both old sticks and it will boot, one new stick and one old and it will boot, both new and it wont. The "about this mac" section sees the 1gig and the 2gig stick together and show me running 3gigs of RAM regardless of which of the sticks from the 4gig upgrade kit I use. Crucial, pleas help

Crucial_maulmod

in reply to glebn111

Based on the testing you've done I recommend that you have the parts exchanged, and our Customer Support department can take care of that for you. Be sure to use the proper link for your location, and reference this thread so they can see the troubleshooting you have done.

US Customer Service

UK/EU Customer Service

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Kilobyte Kid
Miker10

in reply to parich007
I am having same issue with iMac 2.8 and 800 MHz ram sticks, but I have reinserted my old original ram sticks and can't get system to boot now??? Can you advise. I have double checked the proper insertion of the sticks and can't get any boot up.
Crucial
Crucial_Dude

in reply to Miker10

Hello,

If the system isn't booting with the original memory, that would tell me the memory isn't getting seated all the way.  When installing the memory into the iMac, you have to press with a good 20 to 30 pounds of pressure to get it to click in the last little bit.  Something I have heard some users doing is putting the memory in and getting the lever closed.  Once the lever is closed press on the memory and it clicks in just a little bit further.

Dude, Crucial Employee, US
Bit Baby
hannaandco

in reply to Crucial_Dude

Thank you Crucial_Dude! We were having the same issue and your response fixed it!  Now we're up and running! Thank you!

Bit Baby
Lily23

in reply to parich007

I have just received delivery of my iMAC upgrade kit (2-2GB 200PIN DDR2 SODIMM UNBUFF PC2-6400 CL6) today, Saturday, August 6, 2011. My Imac won't boot after I installed the ram upgrade. When I installed both 2GB modules the system wouldn't boot.  The screen stays black, there is no beep/chime or anything else going on.

If I put my original 1GB module back on the Imac, it boots up fine.  I took the original module out again and tried putting the new 2GB modules one more time to make sure the memory was put in properly but my Imac still wouldn't boot. I did this two times and Imac still wouldn't boot with the new upgraded ram.

I ordered the upgrade kit after talking to a Crucial adviser in the sales department.  I told the lady in the sales department that my Imac had the 1G- 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM installed and that the bus speed was 800MHz. 

She checked the specs on her computer and told me that she recommends that I buy the 800MHz ram instead of the 667MHz ram. She also told me that it would work regardless, because the memory would revert back to 667MHz if it didn't work at the rate of the 800MHz.  I took her advice and ordered the 800MHz ram, now my Imac won't boot. 

I think I should have ordered the 667Mhz ram instead of 800 Mhz ram. Can you help you help me replace my 800MHz ram for the 667MHz ram?

Thanks You,
Gloria