Binary Boss
MagsZ

BLT2KIT4G3D1608DT2TXOB on a Asus R4E still having problems

Hello,

Not sure if you remember me but I am the guy who came in and was talking about how the new Asus Rampage 4 Extreme had the 3.3 volt VDD SPD removed from their boards because of a few people putting the DRAM in wrong and taking out the 3.3 volt line.  Asus took care of my mother board and the BL25664TB1608.16FF worked fine finally.  LED's were working.  4 Channels 16 GB  DDR3 1600

So I got bolder and finally got your BLT2KIT4G3D1608DT2TXOB which are  4GB per stick and have a total of 32 GB and these are suppossed to be 32 GB and Windows 7 x64 see;s 32 GB but says 16 GB usable????  Not sure why that is as the Asus Rampage 4 Extreme can handle 64 GB and the mother board see's 32 GB and even windows see's 32 GB but the Usable thing says 16 GB weird.  Perhaps it's Windows cutting me off wanting me to Upgrade it.  Not sure yet on that still looking into that.  Also before anyone ask I have Windows Home Edition x 64 Bit so 32 GB should show up.

Also now I see a problem with your program >>>>>>Ballistix Utility x64.msi <<<<<<<  Loaded this on the computer ok but when I go to run it the program comes up with a little box and says "MOTHERBOARD NOT COMPATIBLE"  The LED's are flashing on the memory Blue Only.  I guess that color must be the Default.  

What I am running:   Intel i7 Sandy Bridge - E 3930 Running 6 cores at 4 GhZ.  1300 Watt Rosewill Power Supply.  Dual Radeon 6970's in Crossfire.  Sound Blaster Fatality XFI ,   If ya need more info than that let me know.  But I feel rather cheated here.  I got 32 GB but see only 16 of it and your Temp. Change the pattern and Color program does not work at all.

My son has the same setup and Asus has not done the mod yet on his Mother Board.  I still have to send his out to Taiwan to have them fix his problem of the 3.3 volt VDD SPD.  This new memory BLT2KIT4G3D1608DT2TXOB comes up and Error on his Mother board.  His board would not even turn it on I'm guessing because of the 3.3 v line not being on his mother board yet.  The older style Ballistix Tracers still do work on his.  His DRAM RED LED came on with the new BLT2KIT4G3D1608DT2TXOB in on his Unmodified board.  Obviously this BLT2KIT4G3D1608DT2TXOB needs the 3.3v to be there unlike the older style.

Well I know my questions are a bit long winded and not easily answered.  but need a bit of help here and possibly answers that I can give to the Engineers at Asus on fixing these incompatiblities.  And please let me know why I see MOTHER BOARD NOT COMPATIBLE with this new memory.  They light up on my Asus R4E and they are sort of recognized at 32 GB but say 16 Usable?

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Crucial 32 GB DDR3-1600 Ballistix SMART Tracers
Intel 3930-K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2 GHz 6 Core 130 Watt CPU
Dual AMD Radeon 6970 graphics cards in Crossfire
Rosewill 1300 Watt Power Supply
5 WD HDD 2 - 2TB Black Editions 2 -1.5 TB Black Editions and a 1 TB
Sound Card Creative Labs Titanium Fatality PCI-E
Binary Boss
MagsZ

Re: BLT2KIT4G3D1608DT2TXOB on a Asus R4E still having problems

OK I found my answer on the 16 GB problem.  Go figure Microsoft would toss in a limit for Windows 7 Home Users LOL!  Yeah bill Gates don't have enough cash.  WINDOWS MEMORY LIMITATIONS

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

I knew there was different limits on things, but didn't know they limited memory like that, that's carzy!! :smileymad:

As for the MOD utility, be sure you have all windows updates installed, including the optional .NET Framework ones.  And reboot and check again after installing those if you don't already have them installed, because there will be more updates to them after you initially install.

Also be sure you are using the latest BIOS for the motherboard in case this may be the issue.  It might just be because X79 is new though, so they may need to update the utility.  You may want to chat with Crucial directly on this and see if they've updated or plan to update the tool for X79 yet.

How are users putting in memory wrong and breaking the 3.3v line you mention? 

*Edit*

I see Shamino is helping you, that's always a plus!!  That's you right?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8473-I-Have-2-Problems-on-a-Rampage-4-Extreme-Mother-Board

Haha, never mind, i see from reading that thread how users are shorting out their boards, that's crazy! I can see trying to insert memory the wrong way, but it's obvious it doesn't go in that way so I don't see how anyone would try go ahead and  power up their boards with the memory in only half way and sticking out/up diagonally like it would when inserted the wrong way around!?!? :smileyvery-happy:

Binary Boss
MagsZ

Isdmeasasp If you know the new LGA 2011 Boards they have 4 DIMM sockets one way and 4 DIMM sockets the other way. on both sides of the the LGA 2011 Socket.  yes I have the latest of all mod's and updates.  Still I see MOTHER BOARD NOT COMPATIBLE.  Yes Old Bill Gates needs more money.  I mean in the past Updated say XP PRO was the same as regular XP cept you had more control over networking ect.  but to limit the Memory to just squeeze people a bit harder if they want to go up in Memory is **bleep**.

Yes Asus I yelled at them.  The Rampage 4 Extreme is their top of the line MoBo.  if your stupid enough to put the memory in wrong then you deserve not to have a 500 dollar MoBo.  I mean a 911 targa is not made to drive 60 mph cause of 1 or 2 stupid idiots who wrapped themselves around a tree.  So I sent my board to Taiwan where they fixed the open 3.3 volt VDD SPD line for me and allowed the voltage to get the to memory.  I even sent them memory (my older Ballistix Tracers) to make sure that it worked.

Asus was nice about it and well I got my son the same memory and he has not had this modification yet and the new SMART TRACERS will not even work in his at all.  In mine all I have is the BLUE LED's going only  And I see the 32 GB but Windows says 16 USABLE  LOL Jerks and money hungry people.

Now I have no idea what is left or why the memory is not usable in the CRUCIAL Memory program.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Binary Boss
MagsZ

Yes Shamino has been helping from Asus.  I try and go between here and there and give them both the whats up to see if we can get this problem fixed.  But now I assume this is now a Crucial problem with their Mod Program.  The Quad channel Memory perhaps is causing a problem.  The BLUE LED's look cool.  But I know the Orange running too would really be cool.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]
Ya, I have a X79 here, so I know what you mean about the slots, it's still no reason for anyone to partially install memory.  I mean I guess I could see it happening, but those users would have to be blind seeing the memory sticking out diagonally  / sideways and think it's OK to turn the motherboard on.   I saw Shamino mention the one side clicking though, and I know some board have slots that actually only click on one side, so I guess users could be used to that and maybe do it, but that still doesn't explain how anyone would think it's installed while at a slant :smileyvery-happy:
Haha, I agree on your "If you're stupid enough" comment! :smileylol:
16GB issue may be your OS version probably, you know that already though correct?  It's x64 Home premium right?  Or were you just yelling at MS there now about wanting your $$ too, and you knew already :smileysad:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_l...
As for the tool, see my comments below.   And also, I think there is known issues on some x64 OS with it, and some X79 boards, have you contacted Crucial directly via chat?  If not chat them up and see what they say, and also add your info and any images of errors you have into this thread
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Ballistix-Performance-Memory/Ballistix-MOD-Memory-Overview-Display-utili...

MagsZ wrote:

Yes Shamino has been helping from Asus.  I try and go between here and there and give them both the whats up to see if we can get this problem fixed.  But now I assume this is now a Crucial problem with their Mod Program.  The Quad channel Memory perhaps is causing a problem.  The BLUE LED's look cool.  But I know the Orange running too would really be cool.

So Shamino fixed the 3.3v voltage thing for you, and tested the memory there while he had the board?  If so, why did he send it back if it's not working, how can you be sure it's the utility or memory and not the board itself still?

You know what, I actually want a set of orange/blue too, but I want to disable the orange so it's only blue on the running boards and maybe the top ones too, but sometimes those can be a bit much (I've only had the old DDR3 Blue tracers though, not the ones you can configure, so I might like the blue on top too if I could dim it)

Binary Boss
MagsZ

Yeah Isdmeasasp I read that section.  But I would hope that since the new X79 chipset has been out for awhile that they are working on something that works with it.  you say you have a X79 Chipset.  Do you also have Ballistix Smart Tracers?  If so does that program work for you?  And if you don't have Ballistix Smart Tracers.  Try the program anyways and see if it works for you?

Just wondering if this is a X79 problem or a Asus problem.  I mean as I stated already Asus pulled the 3.3v VDD SPD lines from the boards because of a few people who put in their memory wrong.  As I told Shamino you could also smash the CPU in wrong as well.  What are ya gonna do there remove the sockets cause of stupid people?  When the memory are longer on one side and not the other how in the **bleep** can you smash them in wrong and it even come close to going in and taking out the voltage lines?

Well I love the memory.  Just want it to work right is all.  They look wonderful.  And yeah I left that link on the second post I made here as to answer my own question that Microsoft needs more money so they limit the users of Home Prem. to 16 GB memory.  That is why it says I have 32 GB but only 16 Usable.  They want at least another 90 bucks to be able to use that other 16 GB.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Binary Boss
MagsZ

Can anyone from Crucial tell me whether or not their program works with X79 chipset?  and if not are there in the workings of making a program for it?  Can anyone tell me if they have a X79 chipset does this MOD program work with it?

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

Well just be sure to make a post there so your system is added to the list, and so the thread will get a bump too!

Yes, I have X79 here, but only have the old normal Blue tracers.  I'll test the program right now and let you know if I have any issues with it installing or starting up, but I'm not sure if it will even start without the Smart Tracers.

I'll edit this post once I test.  I will test with regular older Blue Tracers, and then non-Crucial and see what the outcome of each is.  I'll be using the x64 version 11.0.40825.2 (Says 1.2.0.0 on opening), I see it was last modified on 2/3/2012, so it has been updated recently.   Check to be sure you have that version, if not update and see if that helps

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

No dice here either!   It fails and say motherboard not compatible, with any memory installed.   It also messes up the ACPI tables or MCHBar tables because once it fails, and you close it, you cannot read any SPD data from the memory afterwards until you reboot.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9796/x64crucialmodutilityfai.png

I submitted an issue report here for both of us

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Ballistix-Performance-Memory/Ballistix-MOD-Memory-Overview-Display-utili...