2x Crucial MX200 Updated with Crucial Storage Executive no longer boot.

Kilobyte Kid

2x Crucial MX200 Updated with Crucial Storage Executive no longer boot.

Core i7-2600k

GA-Z68XP-UD3 Rev rev 1.3 - U1J UEFI Firmware

CT500MX200SSD1 -GPT, Windows 10 Pro

CT500MX200SSD1 - NTFS, Storage volume

CT512M550SSD3 - NTFS, Storage volume

Bios - Safe boot on

CSM - Off

I have been running windows 10 on this machine with the same configuration for a long time. I recently installed the Crucial executive storage and used it to update the crucial ssd drives in the system. The two MX200 drives succefully updated to MU04. One of them being the Windows 10 boot drive. 

After rebooting with no changes to Bios settings, the two MX200 disks were no longer listed in the Priorty list , or the Boot Menu. The two drives do show up in the ATA port information list.

ATA Port Information.jpg

Enabling CSM to show Legacy drives will list the drives in the boot options, but will not successfully find and boot partitions on the disk in the mode. 

If I connect to another pc or mac via USB, the drives come up with all data intact.

Power cycling the SSDs, and resetting bios to default has no effect. The other Crucual CT512M550SSD3 msata disk shows in the boot list just fine after the firmware udapte.

Any idea whats going on with these to MX200 drives? Why would the bios update remove the UEFI compatability?

4 Replies
Community Manager

Re: 2x Crucial MX200 Updated with Crucial Storage Executive no longer boot.

@gandreozz,

Thanks for your message. I’m sorry to hear your MX200 drives are no longer detected by your system. As the drives are working fine on another computer, you could backup or clone the data of both drives so you have a copy of your data and don’t lose it, and then attempt a secure erase of the drives. After the drives have been returned to factory settings, you could then clone the data back on to them or restore from a backup.

To erase your drive, you will need to use the “Sanitize Drive” function on Storage Executive. If you would like to clone the data, you can find more information on this here.

I hope this helps and keep me posted on how you get on with these steps.

Crucial_NG, Crucial Moderator, UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
DIMMented

Does your system have a key command to access a startup boot menu?  If so, try that and see if your Windows 10 system is seen.  You may also want to make sure the Boot Order still has Windows 10 listed first.

If the above does not help, then I would download a Windows 10 installer from Microsoft and boot it into Recovery Mode and try to fix "Startup Issues" automatically.   

Kilobyte Kid

Sorry for the late response. The drives were never detected again by any computer Bios via SATA. they would just not show up as a bootable disk or any disk for that matter. Almost like the sata power cable was not working. I thought maybe the sata power cable run had gone bad but it works fine with new drives. 

I put them in some usb c sleds and wiped them on a mac. Put new SSD's in the computer the Crucial drives had been living. Going to just use them as external drives via USB for now. 

Kilobyte Kid

This thread is a case of user error, the drives show on the port so they are detected

What op hasn't done is reset the drive order in the bios.

Boot priority will not display the device if the drive order has not been corrected

In AMI for example, this item opens a menu which lets you set the order that drives are reported in the system, 

Image result for AMI hdd order

AHCI drive orders do not follow the port order, so a change to firmware would have caused the information to change and the ssd's moved down the order list on the next power cycle.