Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
meddylad
Accepted Solution

CCleaner's Wipe Free Space option to increase SSD Speeds

Just a quick question to see if anyone has used the wipe free space option in CCleaner for their SSD's - apparently according to this to is a customised version of TRIM that writes 0's over the free space so increasing read and write speeds - some have reported a speed increse but one or two have reported a loss.  I have tried it but cant say ive seen any changes to be honest.  All comments welcome

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?56855-CCleaner-wipe-free-space-Could-this-be-...

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: CCleaner's Wipe Free Space option to increase SSD Speeds

[ Edited ]
in reply to meddylad

What that will do is fill the drive up with a huge file and then delete it which will cause trim to reset all the affected blocks.  This will cause an erase cycle for every free block on the disk rather than just those that need doing.  Just let the 1916 firmware do its thing for you, trimming as and when needed and GC and don't try and force it. It'll do fine on its on.

If you particularly want to manually clean up your free space anyway, use wiper - ccleaner was suggested for older drives that do not have a wiper.  And I can't see how ccleaner would work anyway because 1 is reset for NAND ram not 0. FreeSpaceCleaner would be a better bet as it has an option to clean with 1's (FF) but it wasn't around when that ccleaner thread was made: http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=2

So in order of goodness:

i) Do nothing - the drive will look after itself (recommended)

ii) Use wiper which was actually designed for the purpose for your specific drive (if you have old firmware - doesn't work on raid)

iii) Use Freespacecleaner in FF mode (only if you have old firmware and use raid)

iv) use ccleaner or some other program to fill drives with 0 (don't do)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
meddylad

in reply to targetbsp

Marvellous - Thx for the answer, but you know what its like, we always trying to squeeze every last bit of performance out of our trusty ole M225.  Will let TRIM do the work for me in future.

Bit Baby
dwalley

in reply to meddylad

I need some help as I am a nood to ssd's. I just built a new system. I setup my Crucial C300 drive in ACHI mode and install Win7. Everything is great. I installed CCleaner and have used it several times until I notices the Wipe MFT setting was on and then stopped. I am needing help as to what to do next.

Is there another program I should run to undo what has been done?

Did I mess up my install by writing the "00's"?

What is my firmware and where to look for it?

Adice please???

SODIMM Sherpa
Snakeyes

in reply to dwalley

No real damage done. Maybe a fractional, and I mean a very small fractional reduction in SSD life. Ongoing trim and GC should fix all issues. Relax and enjoy your SSD.

Bit Baby
dwalley

in reply to Snakeyes

please explaing what runs Trim? and what is GC? I have a friend that has and intel and he has a tool that help his drives. What is gonna help this?

Can I run CCleaner without the option?

Thanks

Bit Baby
dwalley

in reply to dwalley

Should I run this after the CCleaner issue that I did? FreeSpaceCleaner

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to dwalley

This is an old post. We've moved on from free space cleaners to apps that actually trim the free space now.  If you do want to trim the free space then this will do the trick for you: www.adultus-solus.com/downloads/SSDTool.exe

But as above - you shouldn't really need too.  The drives have Garbage Collection so will sort themselves out in time.  Intel don't have these feature which is why they need the toolkit.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Our Latest Posts