Can't clone larger HDD to smaller SSD using EZ GIG IV

Bit Baby

Can't clone larger HDD to smaller SSD using EZ GIG IV

Hi -

This is the second time I've tried using EZ GIG IV to clone a drive.  The first time I moved from a 320GB HDD to a 256GB SSD with no problems using the software as only about 40-50GBs were used on the old HDD.  

This time around I'm trying to go from a 640GB HDD to a 256GB SSD, again only about 40GB of the 640GB are being used, but EZ GIG keeps only recognized the full 640GB.  When I go to advanced options the automatic resizing of partitions or manual resizing of partitions will not work.  

Am I missing a step somewhere?  I believe I should be able to do the clone from the 640GB to the 256GB SSD with no problems as the actual space used is significantly less than the 256GB available on the SSD.

Thanks,

John

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Can't clone larger HDD to smaller SSD using EZ GIG IV

While I will not help with EZ GIG there may be some unmovable files located that EZ GIG cannot handle properly. You could try to disable pagefile as well as disable hibernation (it should remove unmovable hibernation file from the drive). After that you could try to reboot and defragment the drive prior the cloning process.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby

Re: Can't clone larger HDD to smaller SSD using EZ GIG IV

Hi John

That's bad to hear that manual resizing is not working for you.

Have you read the guide here : [Solved] Cloning HDD To Smaller SSD