Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cloning using Acronis True Image HD

Posted By Moderator Moderator Posts: 508 Registered 04-23-2009

If you want to watch a video on how to clone with the CD version of Acronis True Image HD, a video of the cloning process has been posted on The Cru blog.

If you are looking for a guide on how to install and activate Acronis True Image HD 2014, we have written directions in another article, and  Matt_theCru has posted a video of that cloning process on The CRU blog as well.

The hardware requirements of Acronis True Image HD correspond to the minimum requirements for the operating system installed on the computer to be used for running Acronis True Image HD. In addition Acronis True Image HD requires the following hardware:

• CD/DVDROM
  • Mouse or other pointing device (recommended)
  • Second SSD or HDD to clone to

Acronis True Image HD has been tested on the following operating systems:

• Windows XP SP3
  • Windows XP x64 Edition SP2
  • Windows Vista SP2 (all editions)
  • Windows 7 (all editions)
  • Windows 8 (Acronis version 0713)

Supported file systems:

• FAT16/32
  • NTFS
  • Ext2/Ext3*
  • ReiserFS*

* The Ext2/Ext3, and ReiserFS file systems are supported only for disk or partition backup/recovery operations. You cannot use Acronis True Image HD for file-level operations with these file systems (file backup, recovery, search, as well as image mounting and file recovering from images), as well as for backups to disks or partitions with these file systems.

1. Connect your new SSD to the system using the SATA to USB cable that comes with the Laptop Install Kit, or the SATA cable that comes with our Desktop Install Kit

2.  Put the CD that came with your Desktop or Laptop install kit into your CD/DVDROM, and reboot your computer.  If your system does not boot to the CD, you will want to check your BIOS boot sequence and change to put the CD/DVDROM before your hard drive in the boot order. In order to boot Acronis instead of Windows, your CD/DVDROM needs to be the first device in the boot order.

Note that attempting to access the CD from within Windows will not work! The CD will appear blank. You must boot from the CD in order to use the software.

3. Choose your language.  Use the slider bar next to the language options to view more options.

IMG_1032.JPG

4. After the program loads, click on "Clone Disk".

IMG_1033.JPG

5. Select your clone mode.  Most users will use automatic.

IMG_1034.JPG

6. Select your "source disk" and "destination disk".

IMG_1036.JPG

7. Click the "Proceed" button.

IMG_1037.JPG

8. Once complete, click the "OK" and close window "X" buttons, and your computer will reboot.

IMG_1039.JPG

9.  Remove the Acronis disk, and change your SSD to be your boot drive.  You will either need to remove your original drive, or change your boot sequence to boot to the SSD first

The Cru is an elite group of Crucial.com team members with extensive technical knowledge in four key areas: Hardware, Crashes, Anti-virus, and Macs. Visit their blog to learn more about DRAM, SSDs, and computers in general!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for more information on Crucial SSDs?  Learn more here!

Looking for Customer Service? Contact Crucial Support for your region.

Comments
by eboykin on ‎11-07-2013 12:35 PM

Have attempted to clone existing hard disk drive on HP Pavilion dv6 running Windows 7 Pro.  Software works as advertised up to point of actual cloning start.  The error message appears that process failed.  No other information is given.  Also tried Windows version of Acronis True Image 2014 Premium with same error message at same point in process (when write to Crucial SSD is supposed to start).

by Moderator Moderator on ‎11-12-2013 11:11 AM

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the cloning process. The link to Crucial Support in the article signature will help you get in touch with our Technical Support team, who in turn can help you with the cloning process.

by Flashrob on ‎12-07-2013 12:59 PM

Has anyone had a problem replacing the hard drive in the dv7t 3100.  I've attempted to pull the tab to the left and it doesn't budge.

by hakiuser11 on ‎12-18-2013 10:45 AM

is there a download link for the cloning software? I have a new curcial m500 120gb but it does not have a cd

by Moderator Moderator on ‎12-18-2013 11:35 AM

Unfortunately we don't offer a download of the software. It is included with both the Desktop Install Kit and the Laptop Install Kit, both of which we sell on Crucial.com. You can find them both here.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. You can also contact Customer Support directly.

by The-Speculator ‎12-28-2013 11:40 AM - edited ‎12-28-2013 12:19 PM

Hi

How long would it normally take to clone 84Gb out of 128Gb SSD onto a 480Gb one?  this is taking over 4 hours??

also when I formated the new SSD, it also took over 6hrs, is something seriously wrong?

also it is getting very warm, not hot, but definitly very warm, not sure that this is a good thing...

thanks

by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎12-30-2013 02:56 AM

Hi The-Speculator,

First of all I'm sorry that the drive is taking long to format and to clone.

Usually when it takes a while to do a clone it is down to the USB port you are using to do the clone.  I would recommend trying the SSD being connected to a different USB port when doing the transfer.  It could be possible that your USB port is only USB 1 which would slow down the transfer a lot.

If it is a desktop system you are using it might be worth while attaching it to one of the other SATA ports and transferring the data across to the new SSD.  It sounds like it is the speed of the USB port that's causing the slow transfer rate.  Please let us know if you are still having issues with the transfer speed after trying the drive internally. 

by ucdom on ‎01-07-2014 06:52 AM

Can anyone tell me - before I go opening my packaging - whether the edition of Acronis True Image supplied with the Laptop Installation Kit (I have revision 5294) is compatible with GPT formatted hard drives?

I've read that some versions of Acronis don't recognise these drives. I have a Pavillion 15-n series laptop running windows 8.1.

by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎01-08-2014 03:18 AM

Hi ucdom,

Thank you for your question.  The version of Acronis that we supply is called Acronis HD which unfortunately does not support GPT formatted hard drives.

I am sorry for any problems this may cause. 

by LesB on ‎01-16-2014 05:07 PM
Do I need to initialize my new SSD per the following link prior to proceeding with instructions on this page? http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/How-to-initialize-your-SSD-Windows/ta-p/111492 Or do I follow the instructions on this page with the SSD straight out of the box?
by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎01-17-2014 08:53 AM

Hi LesB,

I would recommend that you initialize the SSD before doing the clone.  That way we know the SSD is fully being picked up before you start the cloning process.

If you need any help with cloning please feel free to contact us and we would be more than happy to help.  You can contact the customer service team for your region directly using the links in my signature or simply reply to this.

by Nepharyte on ‎02-03-2014 08:48 PM

I have done all the above in the instructions.  But, after I select my language, it goes to Acronis Logo screen and then nothing happens.  No program loads to continue.

by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎02-04-2014 02:20 AM

Hi Nepharyte,

I am sorry for the problems you have had with Acronis.  I have sent you a private message asking for your address.  We can send another copy of the CD out to you.  It does unfortunately sound like there is a problem with the disk itself.

If you need anything else in the meantime, please don't hesitate to ask. 

by pja11 on ‎02-26-2014 09:01 PM

Will this work with Windows8 OS? (I assume that the earlier post was not just due to Windows8.1, but rather due to GPT formatted hard drives?)

If the current SSD drive (128GB) is partitioned into 2 partitions (one being a recovery type of partition but much smaller than the main partition) on it, does the cloning allow both partitions to be copied to the new SSD drive (480GB), and is it automatic or do I have to go into a manual mode during the migration?

I am doing this for a friend, and belive he has only an external DVD drive. That drive should be able to be booted to, correct? (I would just have to make sure it recognizes the external DVD drive and change the boot order to that recognized DVD drive I am assuming)

Thx

by Moderator Moderator on ‎02-27-2014 08:08 AM

We have Acronis software that will work with Windows 8. Since we have both versions in stock, I recommend that you call Customer Support for your region to place your order. That way, we can make sure that the Windows 8 compatible version of the software is shipped out.

by pcarcas on ‎02-28-2014 06:33 AM

Re Nepharyte's problem with the cd that wouldn't load properly, what was the outcome? I have the same problem and when I spoke to the customer service I was told that I have to return myy cd and then Crucial would send me a replacementt. Or I could buy a new one and then have the original refunded. Before I spend any more time on thos I would like to know whether the solution is liekly to work.

Thajnk you

by pcarcas ‎03-02-2014 07:30 PM - edited ‎03-02-2014 07:30 PM

No response fro Crucial after four days. I managed to sort my problem out by using free software and a cheap drive enclosure, much better value than the installation kit that doesn't work.

by Moderator Moderator on ‎03-03-2014 08:30 AM

Hello pcarcas,

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to sort out the cloning issues you were having. Did you at any point use the link at the end of the guide to contact our Technical Support for your region? Even though we respond to comment if they are left unanswered for a few days, the comment section of our Knowledge Base articles is not intended to be an official support channel, and if you need help urgently, this is unfortunately not the best place to ask for it.

by pcarcas ‎03-04-2014 06:38 PM - edited ‎03-04-2014 06:39 PM

I clearly pointed out that I spoke to ypur customer services. I have also sent you a pm but haven't had a response.

by iikkakki on ‎03-04-2014 08:01 PM

Acronis True Image is paid or not?

by Moderator Moderator ‎03-05-2014 08:04 AM - edited ‎03-05-2014 08:29 AM
Hello iikkakki,

The Acronis software is included with our Easy Install Kits, that you can find for sale here.

by Moderator Moderator on ‎03-05-2014 09:45 AM

Hello pcarcas,

One of our UK-based moderators informed me you've been in contact with our Customer Service. I'm glad they were able to help you out and answer your questions. :smileyhappy:

by dougthring on ‎03-12-2014 03:52 AM

I recently purchased the easy Laptop install kit, assuming it would be comatible with windows 8.1.  I have revision 5294.  Can you please confirm this is compatible with windows 8.1

Thanx

by Moderator Moderator on ‎03-12-2014 08:01 AM

Hello doughtring,

Revision 5294 is unfortuantely not compatible with Windows 8.1. For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 you need revision 0713. If you contact our Customer Service they will be able to provide you with revision 0713 though.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

by dougthring on ‎03-14-2014 03:34 AM

Thanx

I will get that version.  Is there a driver fo Windows 8.1 to see the M500 480GB ssd attached via a usb to sata cable?

Doug

by Moderator Moderator on ‎03-14-2014 08:06 AM

Since you are connecting the drive to a USB port, the built-in USB drivers should be sufficient.

by dougthring on ‎03-14-2014 08:54 AM

Thanx but I have tried that.  Do i need to do anything else as it does not show up?

by H2nick on ‎04-30-2014 07:26 AM

Thought I'd share my Acronis cloning fun on a Sony Vaio (E series) running Windows 8 using the Crucial kit (ie the USB to disc cable +  Acronis CD)

First off, the laptop just booted as normal, so I realised I needed to change the boot order,

No hold F8 or F10 on these - there's an 'ASSIST' button to the left of the power switch which comes up with a menu.

Ignore the 'boot from optical device' - that didn't work...

Instead, take the option to go in to BIOS & change the boot mode to legacy (from UEFI) and make the optical disc the first device.

Now the cloning software will work.

After data was cloned,  reset the BIOS option to UEFI & fixed disk, verified the laptop still booted then replaced the disk with the SSD (ie the easy bit shown in the Crucial how-to video...)

Note that some of these steps took 2 reboots, for some inexplicable reason...

Have fun - laptop works very well now !

by jaq-in-the-box on ‎06-04-2014 09:24 AM

Dell Dimension 5150  Bios v.A04 Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

I cloned the 80Gb HDD on SATA-0 to a Crucial M500 240Gb SSD using the Acronis HD Clone software supplied with the Crucial kit.  The SSD was fitted internally and connected to the only other SATA connector, SATA-2.

I followed the Crucial guide and the cloning completed successfully.  The PC rebooted, presumably from the original HDD.  On removing that drive and replacing it with the SSD (connected to SATA-0) the PC would not boot into Windows.  Windows Repair started but could not repair the problem.  The drive was correctly recognised in the BIOS. 

Reinstalling the WD HDD and connecting it to SATA-0 with the SSD on SATA-2 allowed the PC to boot.  There is no option in the BIOS to select a particular SATA drive as the boot device.  In Disk Manager the two disks appeared to have identical partitions and files.  The original HDD was still C: and shown as Healthy (System, Boot, PageFile, Active, CrashDump, Primary Partition).  The SSD showed as E: and Healthy (Active, Primary Partition).

Research on various forums suggested some causes and solutions.  One post said booting with two identical disks causes problems – see post #5 here:

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/3750

So I cloned the HDD again and this time made sure the PC did not reboot after the cloning finished (there’s an option to shut down the PC after cloning).  I took out the HDD and substituted the SSD connected to SATA-0 and it booted into W7 OK.  Disk Manager now shows the SSD as C:  and healthy (System, Boot, PageFile, Active, CrashDump, Primary Partition).  Everything still seems to work OK after a number of restart cycles.

I haven’t reinstalled the HDD yet as I will wait a while longer but if I do I’ll make sure I reformat it first.

If Crucial agree this was the cause I suggest they update their guide to advise people to use the “Shut down” option after cloning and to swap disks before rebooting.  Hope this helps anyone else who gets the same problem.

by Knarvel on ‎06-08-2014 06:06 PM

Hi,

is there an option to put the image of Acronis-HD onto a USB-stick? I would like to replace the conventional disc in my Samsung N150+ netbook with a M500-240Gb. This netbook does not have a CD-drive, and netbooting from a cd in another computer is not supported by this machine's bios.

Does the version of Acronis-HD you offer support incremental backups?

Thanks in avance..

by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎06-09-2014 10:45 AM

Hi Knarvel,

Thanks for contacting us today. Unfortunately, Acronis does require a CD. There a number of other cloning software out there that do not require a disk that may be better for you to use in your situation. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

by svhg on ‎06-10-2014 04:21 AM

I've just got a new Cruicial SSD plus the laptop install kit so I can clone my current environment to the new disk.  However my current disk is full disk encrypted with PGP whole disk encryption.

There is some discussion on this on the Symantec web site:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO41997

I am not clear what all this means - it seems to make make a bootable disk differs according to whether you have AronisTrue Image version 7 or 9.  What version will I have? (my disk is labelled "Revision 0713").  Do you have any guidelines for my environment?

by CarlAlb on ‎06-17-2014 09:06 AM

I have wimdows 8.1 Pro installed on an HP Pavilion P7-1446s computer.  I noted that the cloaning software did NOT list windows 8.1 or 8.1Pro as an OS that it had been tested for.  What is the status on this?  Can it be used to clone my 1 T drive (used 168 GB) to a 240GB SSD M100 or larger? 

by macounwr on ‎08-23-2014 05:38 AM

I posted this in Community Forum a few days ago, but no response. Trying here...

I have a Dell XPS L702X with dual 512gb drives, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Service Pack 1. No windows updates are pending.

The system is running well.

I bought the MX100 512gb and the Easy Laptop Install kit, and attempted to clone the C: (boot) drive. I took the automatic option, and it ran to completion in about 90 minutes. I swapped the MX100 for the existing drive, and attempted to boot. It failed to boot, offering a "repair" option, which I accepted. After a short time, the message came back that it could not be repaired.

I swapped the disks back, booted, connected the MX100 with the USB/sata cable, and went into disk manager to see what I could see. Here is the comparison between my old drive and the cloned MX100.

Both drives have the same apparent content (folders and files).

Both have three partitions:

1. 102 mb, healthy, OEM partition

2. RECOVERY, 14.65 GB, NTFS

Old drive: Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

Cloned MX100: Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)  DIFFERENCE: not designated "System"

3. Old Drive: OS (C): 451.01 GB, NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

3. MX100: OS(G): 462.18 GB, NTFS, Healthy (Primary Partition)  DIFFERENCE: not designated Boot, Page File, Crash Dump

I'm guessing I have to manually control the cloning process to set the parameters that are missing. Is that correct? How do I do it?

Is there anything else I need to do, drivers e.g.?

All help appreciated.

by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎08-26-2014 09:33 AM
Hello macounwr, Sometimes during the cloning process files can get copied over incorrectly. When this happens the boot partition may not recognized by the computer and will not let you boot into the drive at all. It sounds like this may be the situation that you are experiencing. A couple of things we need you to try. -Run a full defragmentation on the old HDD -Run a Checkdisk on the old HDD - Then perform the Clone with the drives in opposite locations (so have the old HDD connected with the USB cable and the SSD installed inside the laptop when doing the clone) Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Article Dashboard
Our Latest Posts