Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial MX300 SDD - Windows 10 Freezing (HELP ME)

Bogdan, this is just to say 'Thanks' because you proposed the one solution that works in my case.

I recently installed a Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 SSD and promptly had the freeze problem.

All other solutions I found in support forums or from Crucial customer service failed.

Enabling Momentum Cache did the job, but that's not really what I want.

For the record: I downloaded that Intel 11.02 driver, unpacked it, installed the 'iaAHCI.inf' file and picked the 'Intel (R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI controller' flavor. I then disabled Momentum Cache and re-started the system. No freezing so far.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

@DrEtym, no problem. I belive that in many cases issues are caused by improper, namely too old, storage drivers. You were lucky with that 11.02 Smiley Wink What is your motherboard/notebook exact model?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

It's a rather primitive barebone desktop with an Acer mainboard (H110 chipset) and an i5 Skylake (2016). Device Manager said the 2006 MS driver is the best I can find, and even the Intel assistant didn't find anything compatible. But, as I said, manual installation of that 11.02 driver (2012) helped me out.

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

I think that Device Manager searches for the drivers within Windows folder so in most cases it won't find anything newer than what is already in use. Also Intel driver assistant seems to be... well, it never worked for me at the times I have been trying to use it.

You should check your Acer desktop support site for chipset and SATA drivers. Anything they list for this H110 mainbord should work very well and I think that newer driver should give you slightly better performance and stability. It may be 15.x driver I guess.

JEDEC Jedi

bogdan wrote:

Also Intel driver assistant seems to be... well, it never worked for me at the times I have been trying to use it.

As far as I can tell, it only recommends updates for stock Intel drivers you already have installed.  And not specifically for the Intel hardware you have installed.  Which kind of makes sense since Intels view has historically been you should get drivers from the computer manufacturer rather than them so they probably wouldn't want to upgrade anything but previously installed generic Intel drivers?

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

It's Intel! It should be like 'show us all your hardware ID's and we will install all the best from Intel' Smiley Very Happy

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

So just last month i thought it was time to upgrade my old 1TB HDD to a new Crucial MX300 525GB SSD on my Samsung NP-QX411. So i did, but now my laptop is just freezing constantly.

To rule some things out, i dont have the Crucial migration software installed. 

AHCI is enabled at the moment

I tried looking on the samsung website for any support with regards to any drivers, but theres no support whatsoever.

I tried looking for a new and up to date driver on the intel website, but i also couldnt find anything.

Maybe im looking in the wrong place for the driver, but im not really sure. 

I downloaded the "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant" to see if i can find the latest driver, but after the scan it told me my device is up to date. So that was of no help as well. 

I also contatcted crucial support and they replied with the message below. I followed the steps and the current driver that the system has is Standard AHCI Serial Controller.

"

Thank you for emailing us today. The issue is most likely the current SATA driver used in the system and you will need to swap this out. Here are the steps you would need to take to swap out the SATA driver for your system.
To replace possibly malfunctioning manufacturer-specific Serial ATA drivers or a non-compatible SATA Driver we need to replace it with either Microsoft's MSAHCI or Manufactures SATA drivers which may have better functionality/compatibility in your system, use the following guide:

1. Enter Device Manager in Windows via either your Control Panel or Computer Management.
2. You should see a category of "IDE ATA/ATAPI controller’s driver". Click the 'plus' symbol to the left of this line to expand that category.
3. Confirm which SATA driver is currently being used by the system. IF you see the manufacturer drivers you will need to swap for the Windows standard driver.
If the Standard AHCI driver is already in place you will need to get the manufactures driver from the system manufactures website.
4. If the manufactures driver is installed then you need to right click, select 'Update driver software.
5. Then you need select browse my system.
6. Then select pick from list of drivers.
7. Select the "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller"
8. Then click next and the system will reboot and the driver will be swapped and you can go back in there to confirm that.

If you have the standard AHCI SATA drivers installed, then you will need to go to the system manufactures website and download the latest SATA driver. If they do not have one you can go to either Intel’s or AMD's website for the latest AHCI drivers."

That was their response but my Samsung NP-QX411 is still not working and its an unusable state.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you for your time in advance

JEDEC Jedi

The Intel sata drivers are available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005

Newer ones probably won't install on older hardware.  11.7 is probably your best bet on a system of that age.

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Ill give this a shot and see if it works!! Thanks so much for the response. I dont think i would have found this on my own. Ill keep you updated as to whether that solved my problem or not. 

Also i probably forgot to mention but the OS im currently running is Windows 10. Just by looking at 11.7 it doesnt state if its compatible with Windows 10. Should i still go ahead and install and see what  happens?

Once again Thank You!

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

The .exe installers are not compatible and most likely they will not work, I wouldn't use them. But the drivers themselves are unified and they should work on any OS from XP to Windows 10. You just download f6flpy-x86.zip - for 32-bit versions of the operating system or
f6flpy-x64.zip - for 64-bit versions of the operating system, unzip the file and install the driver via device manager. 11.7 should be a good one for you but you may even try 12.9 driver.