Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
BarryBGB
Accepted Solution

Crucial SSD Toolbox - Where is it?

I have a C300 with firmware 002 and I am moving it to another system so I was looking for a Toolbox to perform the firmware update to 006, then to 007 and also just to do a secure erase.

Where is the Crucial ToolBox?

And if there is none, why not?

I have three other SSD's from other companies and they all have a Toolbox for doing all the above.

Everywhere I read about the secure erase on a Crucial C300 is using various techniques like HDDerase, GParted, PartedMagic, etc.

Which one do I use and why use that particular program?

Also, will updating the firmware give me any more speed, features or abilities from version 002?

What controller is on the C300?

I know there a lot of questions but I read somewhere that if you use the wrong program on a certian controller, it could brick the drive.

Thanks

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Crucial SSD Toolbox - Where is it?

in reply to BarryBGB

The C300 firmware update is a bootable CD image.  There's currently a Windows updater for the M4.  There's no eraser for either.

I never bother erasing my SSD - don't really see the point.  But if I was going to, I'd use PartedMagic  - the instructions for it just seem more logical to me.  Search the forum for partedmagic and then posts by m0fus for instruction.

Firmware changelogs:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/RealSSD-C300-Series-Firmware-Version-006-Release/...

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/RealSSD-C300-0007-Firmware-Update-Feedback-Thread...

You'll note that 0006 does indeed have improved performance.

With regards to bricking the drive I'm pretty sure that was the very first updater for the C300 when used on sata 3 controller and it was promptly withdrawn.

The C300 and M4 both use a Marvell SSD controller and this fact has nothing to do with the firmware update which was down to the sata controller on your motherboard.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
BarryBGB

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

Thanks for the reply.

I think I will try the 006 firmware.

On my Sabertooth X79 board I have both Intel and Marvel 6G SATA ports and I believe, ASMedia ports. Which would be the proper one to use for the update? I also have Intel 3G ports as well.

Also, on my Thermaltake Level10 GT case, all of the ports are connected to the hot swap drive bays which will make it easy to change ports quickly. I know I have to set it for IDE for the 006 but may be able to use AHCI for the 007.

Right now, all of my drives are running with the BIOS set to Raid instead of AHCI. It just makes it easier when I setup my raid system.

I guess the reason for the secure erase is that it returns the drive to a fresh unused state, or at least from what I have read on several sites. Oh, bTW, when I asked about the controller it was not for the update but the secure erase. I read somewhere about using either hdderase, gparted or partedmagic that it doesn't work for any other controller except sandforce. I can't remember exactly where I saw that but it was when I was looking around today or yesterday. 

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to BarryBGB

Well, it only working on SF controllers is definately not the case so you don't need to worry about that. :smileyhappy:

The first Intel port is the best to update the SSD from and an Intel 6gbps to run it from.

Upgrade Ace
error-id10t

in reply to targetbsp

Saw this posted on another forum

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/plextor-m3-crucial-m4-octane-performance-pro,3178-7.html

For C300 it mentions that HDDErase doesn't work but implies that Parted Magic will do it right.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to error-id10t

HDDErase does work on a C300 because it's the one lsdmeasasp recommends and he only has C300's. :smileyhappy:

But Partedmagic does seem a little more fool proof from what I've seen in posts around here so I'd favour using it if I was ever going to.

Binary Boss
BarryBGB

[ Edited ]
in reply to error-id10t

The first paragraph in the link that error-id10t added is exactly what I was asking about.

I have known about the firmware 006 since it was first released but did not try to update my drive because of all the steps I had to go through to do this. I did keep up with the forum during that time period though. I also know that once I do the 006 there is no going back.

Since I have had the C300 for almost 2 years I would have thought Crucial would have some sort of management software by now.

I have had virtually no problems with my C300 since I first got it and would really love to see Crucial release some sort of mangement software. In the meantime,  I will just use what Crucial has provided and hope for the best.

My company has hundreds of another companies SSD's installed in Addonics Mini-NAS servers that I have to update and erase when needed and the only requirement is the computer has to be running Win7 and be in AHCI mode. I use a second laptop at work with an EsataPowered port and use a single cable to do this. Very simple and very fast. Unfortunately I cannot use that computer with the 006 CD as it has PGP loaded and will not boot from a CD.

The link also talks about the 'HPA/DCO' error when trying to erase Marvel based SSD's so I think I will try the partedmagic program. Now just to find some instructions on using this one.

I did burn the 006 image to a CD but it wouldn't run on my desktop computer. I used Alcohol 120 to burn the image but kept getting drive error when starting the program. I may have been a bad burn. I tried burning it from my work laptop just now and it seemed to work. I booted the laptop with the CD and the program came up.

I will try the new CD in my desktop computer when I get home tonight and if it still gives me an error,  I will try to do the update in my work laptop instead.

Since I am going to install it in my work laptop and image the drive from it, I really need to do a secure erase before. Just to sure. Actually, it is required by my company when installing a new drive.

BTW, should I format, secure erase then do the update or just do the update then the secure erase?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to BarryBGB

It doesn't matter what order you erase or update it but formatting will be pointless because erasing will do that anyway.

Like I say, there's a Windows updater for the m4 but I can't see them bringing one out for a drive they haven't sold for well over a year.  There'd be little point in investing development/testing time in it as the last firmware for that drive is a year old and most people that want to, would have already updated.

Whether any future functionality added to the Windows program will be backwards compatible with the C300 - who knows?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

I was about to say that I don't know what that link is on about because it simply is not the case.  But if you read it carefully, they do actually exclude the M4* from the drives that don't work. :smileyvery-happy:

*I presume they didn't test the C300 as it's a non-current drive?  In any case, it works.

Our Latest Posts