Dell Inspiron N4030 Maximum SSD or HDD and RAM capacity

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Dell Inspiron N4030 Maximum SSD or HDD and RAM capacity

Hello. I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron N4030 (Pentium processor) to the maximum specifications allowable by the system. I checked the compatibility using crucial.com's compatibility tester, and it said that I can install a 1TB SSD and 2x4GB RAM modules, but I have also talked to Dell customer support, and they refuse to tell me if I can use a 1TB SSD, or even to tell me if any SSD will work in this laptop. The only answer that I could get is that it was not tested by Dell, and they don't recommend trying anything beyond a 500GB HDD because it's untested and they don't want to be responsible if I damage something because I upgraded beyond the maximum specifications, but I understand that working on my laptop is at my own risk. I inferred from the response that I received (only 6GB is used by the system, but both RAM slots accept the 4GB RAM modules) that I can install the 2x4GB RAM modules, but only 6GB will be recognized by the system. I would really like to install the 2x4GB RAM modules and a 1TB SSD, but if the system doesn't allow for it, please let me know the maximum specifications so I can order the correct components from this website as soon as possible to fix my laptop. Thank you Smiley Happy

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Dell Inspiron N4030 Maximum SSD or HDD and RAM capacity

The accuracy of the compatiblity tester is guaranteed: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/crucial-compatibility-guarantee

The version of your Windows is something to watch.  If it's a 32 bit version, you will only be able to use approx 3.5GB of RAM.  If it's 64bit you should typically be able to use as much as the system supports you installing.

There have been a variety of hard drive size limits over the years but I'm not aware of one between 500GB and 1TB so if you support 500GB, I see no reason you couldn't support 1TB.  2TB is the point after that where things may get tricky again on older hardware and older versions of Windows.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

You're awesome. That's exactly the information that I've been trying to pry out of Dell for a week. I really, really appreciate all of the help. I'll be ordering my new SSD and RAM modules right now Smiley Happy

JEDEC Jedi

No problem. Glad to have helped. Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I do have another question, though. I replaced the CD/DVD player with a SATA caddy so I can install a second internal hard drive, and I wanted to know if installing a 1TB SSD and a 1TB HDD would cause any problems (since you stated that a 2TB drive could be an issue). Is it okay to have 2TB available to the system if they are split between two drives as long as I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit? If possible, I would like to install the 1TB SSD, and the highest capacity internal HDD that I can find under 2TB (I think it's 1.5 TB).

JEDEC Jedi

That will be fine.

a) The limit I'm thinking of is 2TB - no need to aim for less, 2TB would be fine

b) The limit is per drive. Smiley Happy  So a 2 and 2 would be fine even.

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I would love to install a 2TB SSD. Does Crucial make them? I would rather not go elsewhere for components since I trust Crucial so highly. I already have to go through Western Digital for the HDD that I'm buying, but I haven't had a bad experience with their products yet. If I could install a 2TB SSD along with a 2TB HDD, that would be great.

JEDEC Jedi

I just got one of that brand of hard drives myself yesterday in my desktop. Smiley Happy

Crucials SSD's only go up to 1TB at the moment I'm afraid.  The MX300 may come in a 2TB drive later but it has launched only in the 750GB size.

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

That's a bummer. I guess that the 1TB SSD will be sufficient. I really want Crucial components in my computer, as much as possible. I appreciate you going above and beyond to help me figure all this out, Dell customer support can't touch your level of service. Not even close. You answered every single question that I could come up with. Now, I have some computer components to buy. Have a great day Smiley Happy