Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
Bluebeans

Firmware Update not possible for Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2

Problem:

My Computer freezes approx. every hour I'm using it.

I checked the RAM with MemTest twice, everything allright.

I connected the OS-SSD with another cable to another Port, but ist still freezes.

In this forum I discovered, that the problem maybe could be solved with a firmware update of my Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2. Firmware is 0002, according to the Hardware-ID Information of my System.

So I downloaded the Windows 8 Firmware Updater from http://www.crucial.com/eu/support/ssd/index.aspx?source=web and tried to use it.

Problem is: The Updater does not find my SSD.

It's the SSD, my OS is located, is this the problem? Or what else can it be?

How could I solve this problem? Or is it something else, which causes my system freezes?

Thanks for your help,

Bluebeans

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Firmware Update not possible for Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2

in reply to Bluebeans

The old firmware is indeed likley to be your problem.

Use the manual boot file on the right instead: http://www.crucial.com/eu/support/firmware.aspx

You burn it to a CD (as image rather than data) and then boot from the CD.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
Bluebeans

in reply to targetbsp

The Firmware Update was succesfull.

Yesterday evening 5 hours of different Computer-Work without freeze or crash. Today 3,5 hours of comupter-activity without problems.

It seems, you have solved my problem.

A big "Thanks" for your help,

bluebeans

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Bluebeans

No problem. Glad it's working now. :smileyhappy:

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Memory Leak Geek
unclemusclez

in reply to targetbsp

Hey Everyone,

I have 4 of these drives, 2x 64gb, and 2x 128gb.
After crashing during my attempts to update the firmware through Windows 8, I made a bootable usb with the driver.
Each time I updated the driver succesfully with the boot utility, "an error had occured."

When I try to reupdate the firmware with the Windows 8 utility, it says the firmware is up to date.

THAT BEING SAID, Here lies the issue:

When I am browsing the internet with Chrome (I've tried IE, and IRON as well), periodically I get hung up "waiting for cache", locking up the computer and freezing applications for up to a few minutes. 
I get a similar response from my computer when I open the launchers for certain online-games I play.

A few things about my setup:

64GB drive has just the operating system, Chrome, and some small programs.

128gb drive has games and fun stuff.
An extra, blank, freshly formatted 64GB drive and 128GB drive, each used to have a whole bunch of memories and really important documents on them, but those are all gone now because of how these awesome hard drives are.

I've tried migrating the browser cache to its own separate drive. No improvements. 
The games are on a diff drive altogether, and still causes operating system to lag. (I WILL ADMIT, there could possibly be a separate issue with the app. However, I've never experienced this before until these drives started failing.)

Sometimes when I restart my computer after these drives crash, I cannot even get the BIOS to boot. It seems as if power does not get supplied to my USB ports or Monitors. I've only experienced this issue previously, on the same machine, with the earlier set of drives that used to have all those awesome memories I was talking about.

What the dilly, Billy?

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to unclemusclez

Hi unclemusclez,

I am very sorry for the issues that you have experienced with these M4 SSDs. As far as your firmware goes it does sound like you have updated your firmware successfully. There are some cases when it does says it's unsuccessful, but when it's reflashed it says it is updated. Have you still been having issues with these drives after the firmware updates or were the issues before you attempted to update the firmware?

What system are these SSDs installed in? Has anything else changed in the system?Any other hardware been added?
Any Windows or other software updates?

Have you tried letting Active Garbage Collection run? There is a feature built into our SSDs called Active Garbage Collection. Letting Active Garbage Collection run on the drive for an extended period will clean these cells and restore the SSD to a healthy state. To do this on your PC or Laptop, you will need to let the SSD idle for 6 to 8 hours. In a PC, simply disconnect the SATA cable from your SSD and only leave the power cable connected. After switching your PC on, the SSD will be in an idle state but still have power so Garbage Collection can function. Leave the PC powered for the 6-8 hours.

Please let us know if there's anything else we may help you with.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
unclemusclez

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

Trying this now. The system has been entirely reformatted and does not experiecne the same issue on my 4TB HDD. I only started experiencing this recently with this set of drives. I've expreicend very similar issues with a differnt set of these drives about a year ago, but I do not beleive there was as much information on the problem. Those are the empty ones I was talking aobut in the previous post.

To be honest, we used a bunch of these drives at work for our own custom servers. There have been reported failures. However, I do not know if it was related to the same issue. I'm going to gather more information from them as well.

The issue seems to be specific to Internet browser caches. Launchers/logins for games will freeze  consistently and all of my browsers are expereincing the waiting for cache issue. 

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to unclemusclez

unclemusclez,

Please give us an update after you have tried running the Active Garbage Collection. Hopefully it solves the issue and if not we will go from there and see if we can find a solution that works.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to unclemusclez

Hi unclemusclez,

After researching some more I do have another link you may read and see if helps solve the problems you are experiencing with the cache. This link can be found here. I think it would be worth trying and see if solves the cache issues.

Memory Leak Geek
unclemusclez

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

Situation has improved. I still get the same hang ups and freezing, but they seem to be for a less amount of time. Lanchers for games will crash after I log in or change information. That has been consistent. I also reinstalled my games to check. It didnt make a difference. They are still on a different drive as well, which leads me to believe its some type of system process that is losing connection in the memory. 

Our Latest Posts