Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Baby
Devro

Flashing file folder on startup

I have just bought a Crucial M500 240GB SSD to replace the hard drive in my late 2008 aluminum body MacBook.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to do a complete clone of my hard drive onto the SSD using a SATA to USB connector.  All went well.  Before disconnecting the SSD from the MacBook, I used the Startup option in System Preferences and it booted up OK and all my files were there.

I then replaced the hard drive with the SSD but on restarting, all I got was the flashing file folder.  Holding down the Option key on startup just left me with the arrow cursor on the screen.

I then replaced the hard drive and it booted up OK.  I again attached the SSD via the USB and again it booted up using Startup in System Preferences. I checked the drive in Disk Utilities.  All OK. I repaired Permissions.

I replaced it again, but only got the flashing file folder.

So it works via the USB port but not when installed in the MacBook.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

Re: Flashing file folder on startup

in reply to Devro

Hi Devro,

I am sorry that you are having issues cloning your drive. Will you please try cloning again with the SSD internal and the hard drive external? 

Does this change anything? 

You may also try cloning using Disk Utility if you still have issues after cloning with the SSD internal. A link to the steps for this can be found here. Please let us know if you are still having issues after these tips. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Our Latest Posts