Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Baby
TabsAZ

How I fixed my M4 that wouldn't detect in the BIOS

Just wanted to let everyone know what I did, because I'm not convinced that the procedure Crucial posted here actually works:
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from...

I tried this procedure and it did not work.

What did work is this:

1. Plug in the drive's SATA power cable *only* (not the data cable)

2. Boot the PC and let it sit for around 30 minutes.

3. With the PC power still on, plug in the SATA data cable.  Do not disconnect the power.

4. Press the PC's reset switch.

When I did this, the BIOS immediately picked up the drive and everything's working fine now, no data loss at all.

Ryan

Bit Baby
pvtop

Re: How I fixed my M4 that wouldn't detect in the BIOS

in reply to TabsAZ

Thank you very much! I fixed my M4 too with your method!!

Memory Leak Geek
greeman

[ Edited ]
in reply to TabsAZ

I also tried the Crucial method and it didn't work.  Tried your method (except I only left powered up for 20 min.) and it worked perfectly.  Thanks!

Upgrade Ace
front360

in reply to TabsAZ

I'm glad you discovered an alternate procedure, now if only someone could figure out a new working procedure for users that only own laptops.

Kilobyte Kid
ahow628

in reply to TabsAZ

Unbelieveable. I had tried the Crucial procedure that you linked to about 5 times over the past 3 days. I called to request an RMA and while I was on hold I was cruising the forums and saw your post. I ended up plugging in just the power for 10 minutes (maybe less), then plugging in the SATA cable, and rebooting. Boom, the drive pops up. I disconnected it and put it back in my laptop and it booted right up.

Thanks so much for this procedure. We should all try to get a mod's attention on this post so they can update their procedures.

Bit Baby
TabsAZ

in reply to ahow628

Glad to hear this worked for you guys!

Kilobyte Kid
danielgrm

in reply to TabsAZ

Gentleman, thank you very much for your hint. You saved my day.

I'm in Brazil, and there is no Crucial branch or sales representative here, (I bought it while in the US). For short, I would have a problem, and would have thrown some bucks in trash can, because their precedure wouldn't fix a thing. I tried the 20-min thing 5 times.

Your method, however, works like a charm.

Hint: I could hear my ssd "booting" (a very low hiss) and subsequent very low "beeps", which sounded like a good-ole defective spinnin disk.

When I tried your method within the first minutes, it didn't work. Then I patiently tried again, ear close to the unit. At the 8th minute, it went silent, only then I tried, and this time it worked. So, for me, the 20-minute time frame is way too long. Your suggested 10-minute wait should be enough (it was for me, at least).

Once again, thanks for saving my ssd!!

Beeing very curious of your unorthodox solution, I must ask: how did you came out with this solution?

My best regards,

Daniel.

Binary Boss
sfitzp4573

[ Edited ]
in reply to TabsAZ

@TabsAZ

Many thanks. Like others in this thread, I tried the Crucial-recommended method, but had no sucess. When I tried your method, it worked perfectly first time.

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but I have had this problem twice in the last week since I updated the firmware from 000F to 010G. Previous to the firmware upgrade the drive worked perfectly. The future doesn't look good for *this* drive. Time to ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor*** choose a different manufacturer.

thanks again.

Simon.

Bit Baby
TabsAZ

in reply to sfitzp4573

Yeah, I suspect something's up with this firmware version too - hadn't seen a problem in the 6 months or so that I've had the drive and now it's happened to me twice in about 2 weeks.

I had it happen again the other day just from a system lockup (overclock related) + hold down the power button situation.  This has to suck for someone using a laptop or something where they can't easily pull the drive and do this proceedure to reset it...

Hopefully Crucial looks into why this firmware seems to be so susceptible to this.

Bit Baby
Dweezled

in reply to TabsAZ

Thank you TabsAZ!

You just saved me hours of frustration!  Your solution works like a charm. Thank goodness for people like you and for the modern day benefits of Google.

Just updated my M4 firmware to G10 from 001F about 3 days ago and experienced a BSOD that led to the BIOS not recognizing the drive. 

Clearly this is a firmware issue since I had been running my PC 24/7 (server) for about 6 months on 001F with no BSODs whatsoever.  Let that be a lesson for those of us who decide to update our SSD firmware! 

Let's see what Crucial is made of.  If they care about their reputation they should quickly put out a fix for this.

Our Latest Posts