Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lordgllynn

Re: How do I fix my MBR when windows 7 system recovery shows no drive

in reply to m0fus

Yep, best to let it run. If it fixes everything, you'll see it boot to Windows, if an error appears, you'll know what to do from there.

Bit Baby
SteveInWA

in reply to lordgllynn

Actually, to answer your original question, the command to repair the MBR and/or boot sector in a Windows Vista or Windows 7 system is "bootrec", documented here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Unfortunately, the method to fix the MBR has changed several times since the Windows XP days, so the command is hard to remember.  If your machine is just spinning away endlessly on the Win 7 automated recovery screen, it's unlikely to be fixing anything; it could just be stuck retrying.  I'd suggest going to a command prompt and executing the bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot commands.  If your drive's data isn't corrupted, these commands won't <further> destroy any data.  If you give up on trying to save data, you should go into diskpart from a command prompt and issue the "clean" command to initialize the drive, and then partition and format again.

By the way, I have the 64MB drive, too.  I was experiencing intermittent failures of the drive being recognized by BIOS during resume from sleep.  I solved this by replacing the flat SATA-II cable with a very short, round, shielded SATA-III cable sold by Newegg.

Bit Baby
SteveInWA

in reply to SteveInWA

I should also add a warning, if you aren't careful using the command-line diskpart program, you can easily operate on the wrong drive or partition, destroying data.  So, to be safe, you may want to unplug any other drives.  This is the same "uh oh" that applies to parted in Linux, or any other operating system, for that matter.

Binary Boss
pkincy

in reply to SteveInWA

These types of things are why I have invested in a good backup program and run total backups on my Sys and C Drives 3 times a week and on my data drives 1/week.

SSDs are super but are a bit quirky.

The only thing I might add is to use the Clean ALL command on Diskpart rather than the Clean command.  You might as well restoe the NAND.  You will find a detailed set of instructions for that within a few threads of this one.

Perry

Lenovo W520, I7 2720QM, Crucial M4 512 GB OS/boot, Crucial M4 256 GB Optibay, Intel 80 GB mSata, Q1000M Graphics

Lenovo X220, I7 2620, Samsung 830 Pro SSD,
Intel 80 GB 310 mSata, Intel HD 3000 Graphics

Asus P8Z68-V Mobo, I7-2600K, Radeon HD 6870, 1TB WD Sata 3, C300 256 GB OS Drive; C300 128 GB Data Drive
Bank and Slot Hot Shot
m0fus

[ Edited ]
in reply to pkincy

do not use clean all, as it dirties the nand. hdderase/secure erase is really the best option, as with' clean all' you are unnecessarily  writing '0s" to the entire drive, which appears to the drive's controller as nand that needs to be prep for fresh writes. secure erase command, on ssds, 'refreshes' the nand in a matter of seconds, and will be factory fresh, unlike the results from 'clean all' or any other hdd app that 'writes' to the nand...

in reply to m0fus

Right:  diskpart "clean" command overwrites the mbr and partition tables, and is a perfectly fine way to initialize a SSD or conventional hard drive.  Diskpart "clean all" writes zeros to every sector, which is a bad idea for SSDs.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465%28WS.10%29.aspx

There's a lot of bad information floating around about erasing SSDs.  Here's the link to the recommended method of securely erasing a SSD with the least wear and tear:

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

Bit Baby
jamespdavid

[ Edited ]
in reply to ampedal

You should check whether or not you can even see the drive in BIOS. If you can't then it isn't the drive's problem.

Now that you are able to see the drive, you need to fix the MBR. follow these steps:

I recommend the bootrec command.

First try bootrec /fixmbr then try bootrec /fixboot

Then, if that doesn't work, try rebuilding the BCD. Microsoft's original instructions has you exporting the old BCD. To heck with that.

cd c:\boot attrib bcd -s -h -r ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old bootrec /RebuildBcd

----------------------------------------

Thanks and Regards

Jamespdavid

[Edited per Guidelines: No 3rd party links.]

Our Latest Posts