Laptop not rebooting - MX300 problems

Bit Baby

Laptop not rebooting - MX300 problems

I have an MX300 being used in a Lenovo V110 laptop.

After the laptop has been on for several days and I try and reboot it, it fails.

It doesn't get beyond the BIOS.

I have to remove the battery and reconnect it. The laptop then boots.

This is particulalary annoying as I have to remove ten screws to access the battery.

I have the latest firmware installed.

Any idea what would be causing this?

11 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Laptop not rebooting - MX300 problems

It may be related to some power management issue. Did you check for BIOS update and/or SATA driver update? Do you know what driver version are you using right now? You can check it with Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers (or Storage Controllers) -> right click on the selected controller -> Properties -> Driver tab

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

DIMMented

I'm having flashbacks to an old V-series Lenovo that had similar issues to this.  The problem started out very similar to yours then one day it would not even POST.   Since it was out of warranty I never had it repaired, but I suspect it was due to a faulty BIOS chip.   Make sure you have a good backup or have another copy of your files just in case the laptop dies completely.

When you disconnect the battery, also make sure the power adapter is disconnected.   Then press & hold the power button for a few seconds.  Then let the laptop sit without any power source for maybe five minutes before reassembly.

Did you just recently update the BIOS and encounter this issue shortly afterwards?    Intel has been actively working on releasing new firmware for their CPUs to address the recent Spectre vulnerabilities and some updates from January 2018 have been known to cause problems.   The revised versions are slowly being released to the OEM vendors such as Lenovo.  While I haven't heard of any new issues with the revised updates, you never know.    If your BIOS update is from January 2018, I would check to see if it is possible to downgrade it to one from 2017.   You will want to confirm your backups first since with your problem it could easily interrupt or break the update process.

Is your SSD firmware also at the latest version M0CR060?

You should also make sure your Storage Controller drivers are up to date as bogdan suggested.  Plus make sure Windows is fully patched.   Also if you are using Windows 10,  hold down the Shift key as you select Reboot so it does a proper full reboot and not a soft reboot (although it sounds like this might already be the case).

You could also try loading the Default BIOS/UEFI settings as well.  

If you still have your original Lenovo drive, I would install it to see if it also has the issue.  This may eliminate the OS and the drive right away as the culprits.    I also wonder if Secure Boot or Hardware Encryption could be causing a problem if something has been corrupted.

I would also acquire some other USB bootable media to see if it will boot to it when this occurs in case it is having trouble with your internal drive.

It might not hurt downloading a bootable anti-virus disk so you can boot to it from USB to scan your system in case something got past your defenses.

If you are able, I would suggest leaving the battery disconnected to see if the problem still occurs.  I realize this may not be possible for you.  

I believe this is most likely a Lenovo issue rather than a Crucial issue especially since it acts just like my old Lenovo before it died completely.  You may want to check the Lenovo forums and perhaps even ask for help there.   Sometimes someone from Lenovo will chime in on threads.

If you are unable to resolve the issue easily and don't have your old Lenovo drive for testing, then I would suggest doing a Secure Erase of the SSD and do a clean install of Windows.  If your laptop is still under warranty I would then look into a warranty repair.

Bit Baby

The IDE ATA controller driver is from 2006. Version 10.0.16299.98

SSD firmware is indeed M0CR060.

I do have a good backup of my files.

I have recently installed a BIOS update due to Spectre.

I've checked for Malware etc and nothing has been found.

I'm not using Secure Boot.

I will try deafult BIOS settings.

Bit Baby

It doesn't look like I can downgrade the BIOS.

We shall see how it goes.

DIMMented

Most systems won't let you downgrade.   Look around the BIOS/UEFI settings for an option for downgrading the firmware.  I just saw a recent Dell system which had a checkbox to allow or restrict this feature.   It was actually the first time I've ever seen such an option.

Just curious what year was your laptop made/purchased? 

JEDEC Jedi

I think you should update storage/AHCI driver. The one you are using may not be the best option for you.
Go to Lenovo support site and download drivers proper for your exact notebook model. You should at least download and install proper chipset and storage drivers.

Bit Baby

I've tried using 'search for updates automatically' in Windows via Device Manager and it says the best driver is already installed.

I've been to the Lenovo support site and there are no options for other drivers there.

Any more clues?

DIMMented

I took a quick look on Lenovo's website and randomly selected one of the V110 models.  There are indeed very few drivers to download, but I did notice there was an "Energy Management Driver".   If your specific model also has this driver, you should try it.  You could also try modifying your Energy Saver settings in Windows & BIOS/UEFI settings.

Otherwise, just keep going through the options I outlined previously and hope it points to a software issue.

JEDEC Jedi

@otronics wrote:

I've tried using 'search for updates automatically' in Windows via Device Manager and it says the best driver is already installed.

I've been to the Lenovo support site and there are no options for other drivers there.

Any more clues?

In most cases device manager is useless for that purpose. I have never seen it working for storage driver update. 

What is the exact model of your V110? Like V110-15ISK or something like that. Lenovo support site list plenty of drivers for V110-15ISK so I guess we could find something for your submodel too Smiley Happy