Latest firmware for M4-CT512M4SSD2?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Latest firmware for M4-CT512M4SSD2?

Hi

I am experiencing "freezes" on my MacBook Pro (model mid 2010 - OS X 10.9.2) approx. every hour (starting yesterday). Various searches indicates that I should investigate the disk which is a M4-CT512M4SSD2 (Crucial 512GB SSD) that I installed 2 years ago. It has current "Revision" 9. Then I looked for a firmware upgrade - but I am a little uncertain as to what "product" to select to get the right firmware? Is it "Crucial m4 2.5-inch SSD" that reflects the model number: M4-CT512M4SSD2??

The newest version for this product is "070H" which seems another numbering sequence than just "9" which is the current version.

Is there by the way a too (for Mac) to query the disk's status? Is it on its way to break?

I don't know if the cause of my problems is in fact the disc. However, I have tried to upgrade to the latest version of VMware Fusion (that I use to run Windows for some dev. tools). I tried to uninstall Google Chrome since the last message in the system.log was from that browser. I have verified the disk (and it found some pointers to correct the first time)... - but the problem exists :-(

Therefore, I thought of making sure that the disk was in the best condition (e.g. not "sick" and newest firmware).

I hope you can point me in the right direction and there in fact is a new version of the firmware.

Thanks in advance.

/John

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Latest firmware for M4-CT512M4SSD2?

Hi, 

It is quite likely your freezes are related to 0009 firmware bug described here. M4-CT512M4SSD2 part number indicates you should use "Crucial m4 2.5-inch SSD" firmware version and 070H firmware is the newest one and apropriate to your drive. Try to use "Manual Boot File for Windows and Mac" type of the updater.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for your help - that was the right version of the firmware. And it did indeed solve the problem - the computer has now run for 6-7 hours without freezing ;-)

.... but who decided this behaviour after 5.184 hours? It's impossible to clone the system disk in an hour.... :-(

JEDEC Jedi

It was a bug. Bugs do happen. It is safe to say it was unintended I guess Smiley LOL

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Hi I have the same issue and I am not able to update the firmware.

"m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour"

->  The bootable cd I made dont go throught the loading img...

In the instructions pdf crucial advise about the EFI locked and how Disable/Remove Drive Passwords but all the instructions are windows or linux related and I am not capable of doing any advance.

ANY HELP?

My SDD:

crucial M4-CT512M4SSD2 partitioned into three.

MacBook Pro 17" early 2011

nachezman

SODIMM Sherpa

nachezman,

Check to make sure you burned the ISO image to CD and not just the data file.  While booted to OSX, insert the CD.    If it only contains the downloaded .iso file on the CD, then it is not a bootable disc. 

Here are instructions to burn a bootable CD from the ISO file for OSX 10.9:

http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/11/how-to-burn-an-iso-on-your-mac/

To boot from the CD you need to restart the laptop and just after the startup chime, hold down the "C" key.   If it doesn't even try to boot the CD, you could boot back into OSX and check to see if it shows up as an option in "Startup Disks" in System Preferences.   Select it then click Restart.  Just make sure afterwards to go back here and select your SSD again so it boots to it quicker.

If this is not the problem, then please report back.