Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Memory Leak Geek
colinbutcher

Re: M225 2030 firmware causes disk freezeups, BSODs, unreadable drive.

[ Edited ]
in reply to techvslife

Another possible scenario is how you upgraded - preserving drive content, or wiping it and starting from scratch. I chose to make an image copy of the drive first, then delete all partitions, then apply the firmware update, then create a temporary large empty partition, then run the wiper tool, then restore the image copy of the drive.

I am not relying on any data that was in the drive still being accessible after updating the firmware, thus I am not relying on the firmware having to keep track of which set of NAND gates store which set of disc blocks either side of the firmware update.

So far, no problems, other than actually performing the update. I ended up borrowing an older laptop and having to make a bootable USB stick with the firmware update files on it.

The Crucial supplied CD image does not work (fails to detect SSD) on my HP 8530w laptop, even with the SATA interface in IDE mode. Nor does the Crucial supplied CD image work (fails to load CD driver for the CD drive it booted from) in the older Toshiba laptop I borrowed to do the update.

In practice I have 2x M225-256GB drives, one in use, the other as a portable spare. I periodically make an image copy from one to the other and swap the drives around. It's a useful technique if you travel a lot and rely on a laptop for your work. The main reason for using SSDs is simply the reduced probability of mechanical damage while travelling. The improved performance (especially reduced boot time) is a convenient bonus.

I saw the projected lifetimes of the two drives drop from around 85% to just over 70% after upgrading from FW1916 to FW2030.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to colinbutcher

I think most of the Indinlinx models are very similar. Certainly in the early days of the drive it could only use that Samsung nand whose estimated life was halved.  Later firmwares added support for other nands.  In fact in there where is the 2030 firmware thread that was around here (like I say, we got it late) there was a link to installing another brands firmware on our drives!

In light of the above comment from colinbutcher, I have to admit that my M225 was freshly installed after 2030 because it was going into a different computer at the same time as the firmware was released!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

SODIMM Sherpa
techvslife

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

The drives I have are I think earlier models of m225s (the one in front of me now is serial P567602-HDIX-6299067) but they have no jumper switch.   Another possibility for a cause is that the 2030 firmware installs improperly over the 1916 firmware if the drive is in a certain state (but reproducibly).  But I wouldn't install the 2030 firmware on any drive at this point until more is known, given the extensive and reproducible data problems it caused on multiple drives--or at least one should test and use the drive extensively for a couple of weeks with no information that couldn't be lost.

I certainly did NOT follow the series of steps outlined by colinbutcher above in his upgrade.  If they're necessary, they ought to be in the directions, and the firmware upgrade 2030 should be flagged with "REQUIRES COMPLETE REFORMAT AND DATA DESTRUCTION."  Possibly something as simple as wiper first might help, but who knows?  None of these steps were required for the 1916 upgrade, which was problem-free.  All I did for the 1916 upgrades was install over the previous, and none of the data was affected.  

I used the Crucial CD image for the 2030 upgrades.  

DIMMented
namaiki

[ Edited ]
in reply to techvslife

Perhaps a wipe is necessary in some situations, but not necessary for my drive.

When your drives are flashed to 2030, what does SMART attribute 205 / CD (decimal / hex) read as? Is it 5000 / 1388 or something else?

Memory Leak Geek
colinbutcher

in reply to namaiki

1388 on both drives.

DIMMented
namaiki

in reply to colinbutcher

colinbutcher wrote:

1388 on both drives.

Is your drive one of the ones getting disk freeze ups, BSOD, etc?

Memory Leak Geek
colinbutcher

in reply to namaiki

Not yet.

What's the significance of the Thermal Asperity Rate in this context? For those interested, information on SMART attributes can be found here: http://www.ntfs.com/disk-monitor-smart-attributes.htm

SODIMM Sherpa
techvslife

in reply to namaiki

Sorry, I can't go to 2030 firmware again on these drives, since I'd have to do a full backup and restore to prevent corruption. However, there were no errors on the upgrade and the BIOS screens on startup indicated that the drives were running firmware 2030.  (Note also that installing 1916 right after 2030 corrects all problems, so offhand I wouldn't think it's a temperature issue.)

DIMMented
namaiki

[ Edited ]
in reply to colinbutcher

SMART attribute 205 / CD on these drives is the number of write cycles that the manufacturer has calculated. (applies only to these Barefoot drives)

All before 2030 are rated at 10000, but in 2030 some have an updated value of 5000, or 3000. Was just wondering if the drives that had the issue were rated at 10000, 5000, or 3000.

In that case, techvslife could you run the following and check which NAND is in each of the drives? http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?68136-Drive-Identity-Tool

This doesn't require you to flash anything, just boot from USB stick.

Admittedly, running the tool might tell us if the drives are the same, but in the end it might not tell anything.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to colinbutcher

colinbutcher wrote: For those interested, information on SMART attributes can be found here: http://www.ntfs.com/disk-monitor-smart-attributes.htm

No It can't :smileyvery-happy:  If you read your smart info based on that you'll think your drives has died a 1000 times over. :smileyhappy:

That's the generic layout for a spinning disk.  You'd need the layout for an Indilinx SSD.  CrystalDiskInfo will show you the smart info correctly

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Our Latest Posts