MX100 Causing Windows 10 to freeze (A TCG Command has returned an error)

Kilobyte Kid

MX100 Causing Windows 10 to freeze (A TCG Command has returned an error)

Hey there,

so recently (~3 weeks ago) I built a new pc. The only things I took from my old PC are the SSD (MX100 256gb) and the HDD. I made a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD.

However, now my PC started freezing randomly. It doesn't matter what I do, it's just that all inputs and the screen freeze and I have to hard reset (holding down power button).

The reason why I believe it's the SSD is that immediately before the PC crashes, the following message shows up in the event log:

Spoiler
A TCG Command has returned an error.
Desc: AuthenticateSession
Param1: 0x1
Param2: 0x60000001C
Param3: 0x900000006
Param4: 0x0

... and a little bit of googling showed my that it is not that uncommon with crucial SSD's.

Here is what I already did to try and fix the issue:

• (Re-)Install all kinds of drivers, Update Windows 10
  • Update SSD Firmware to the newest version
  • Install AMD SATA Controller Drivers
  • Change to Performance Mode, disable HardDrive-Shutdown (?)
  • Update BIOS
  • Reset BIOS to standard settings
  • Disable several autostart programs
  • Use Windows 10's tools for Optimization & Defragmentation

What else could I do? I really want to fix my system so I can finally enjoy my PC again Smiley Sad

Thank you for your time!

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX100 Causing Windows 10 to freeze (A TCG Command has returned an error)

[ Edited ]

Seal33 wrote:

What else could I do? I really want to fix my system so I can finally enjoy my PC again Smiley Sad

Don't give up, there is always hope.

Long story short - MX100 model support hardware based encryption and it can be used in two modes, 'ATA security features set' and 'TCG Opal'. For some reason Windows 8 and Windows 10 enable TCG Opal mode during installation, without asking user for such permission. The problem is that in most cases TCG Opal mode encryption is not enabled after installation. Moreover Windows 10 Home doesn't support such encryption but enables it anyway. As far as I understand that correctly this is the reason of the issue - during Windows 10 install the drive is switched to TCG Opal mode, it is ready to use TCG Opal commands issued by OS but the OS (let's say Windows 10 Home) doesn't support this state. It has been thoroughly decribed by other forum user, r0m30 as far as I can remember.

To fix that you would have to reinstall Windows 10 one more time according to following steps:

1. First of all you have to 'PSID revert' the MX100 drive using Crucial Storage Executive tool - it reverts the drive from TCG Opal mode back to ATA security features set. For this step the drive has to be connected as a secondary drive - you cannot PSID revert your OS drive unfortunately.

2. Then you can install Windows 10 again, however at the very begining of instalation you have to perform one of the available actions to prevent Windows 10 from switching the drive to TCG Opal mode again - here are possible solutions.

Two days ago I have been installing W10 and fortunately I remembered about that. I have used Reg add... command at the begining of install.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

JEDEC Jedi

@Seal33, I am sorry, I have posted detailed explanation and solution to your issue about one hour ago but my previous post disappeared for an unknown reason.

Long story short - you will have to reinstall Windows 10 one more time to fix this.

1. First you have to PSID revert your drive using Crucial Storage Executive tool. The SSD has to be connected as a secondary drive to your system, unfortunately you can't PSID revert OS drive.

2. Then you have to install Windows 10 again however at the very begining of install you have to instruct the Windows 10 not to enable some features that are causing issues. Take a look here. Two days ago I have been installing W10 and I have used Reg add... command workaround.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for your reply!

I guess I'll have to try it :/ Whats weird though is that the freezes only started around one week ago, with the new pc being 3 weeks old already.

Do you think it would hurt to do both the regestry edit and the partition fix to prevent windows 10 from failing me again? I really want it to work this time Smiley Happy

JEDEC Jedi

Yeah, you can do both Smiley Happy Keep in mind that PSID revert will erase entire drive so backup your data. Then you can boot your PC wit a tool like Parted Magic, or since the drive will be connected as a secondary drive you could run MiniTool Partition Wizard Free and do the same in 20 seconds ;-) After that you can perform Shift+F10 step with Reg add... command. In my opinion it should work.

I really don't know why this 'TCG Command has returned an error' and system freezes are happening on some systems but few months ago I have fixed one PC with M500 that was freezing very often using that workaround. And as a bonus PC user received fresh W10 install without all unnecessary apps that were installed before Smiley Happy

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you again for all your help!

One last question though, is it absolutely necessary to do the PSID reset from the application by crucial? Because that would mean that I'd need to get a third hard drive, install windows there, install the crucial tool, PSID reset the problem-SSD, install windows on the SSD, reset the third drive. So I would have to install windows twice... or is there an easy workaround?

JEDEC Jedi

As far as I know you cannot do that on OS drive. So you need other OS drive anyway. You can attach the drive to SATA port of other working system (of your firend, coworker, family member, neighbor...).

Kilobyte Kid

Hi I'm just installed a Crucial 525gb SSD and I have been getting this error as well. But I'm not getting the freezing or any too bad it, just shows up on every boot. Should I reinstall or leave it alone if its not causing too much harm? This was a clean install of WIndows 10. No cloning. 

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Imho if you do not see anything strange during real use you could probably leave it alone.