Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
Fenn

NO HELP FOR RAID-0 USERS?

Hi,

I am a bit fed up after doing allot of research, TRIM which I was waiting for is no good for people on RAID-0 - and I am also unable to use wiper as well.

So that leaves me relying on what? Garbage Collection?

Which is apparantly not supported on this firmware OR the upcoming firmware.

What other options do I have? can I just format? will that do it? probably not right? is there ANYTHING I cna do to freshen up these drives when I need to? (now that TRIM is OUT and Garbage Collection is unlikely for a LONG time)

DIMMented
rpsgc

Re: NO HELP FOR RAID-0 USERS?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Garbage collection will be released as a manual tool after the firmware update.

"The new firmware will not support garbage collection. We will offer a user initiated garbage collection tool following the release of the new firmware."

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Status-update-Firmware-upgrade/m-p/5130#M826

Mic
Binary Boss
Mic

Nope, and if you did a little research you would know that before you bought the drives. Its the main reason I myself went with a single drive instead of a raid setup. Can't really blame crucial for it, I mean windows 7 isn't even officialy released yet and we can't really expect all drivers to be working perfect for the first several months after a new OS release, if so that sure would be the first time.

You could always run both the drives as seperat drives instead of a raid system, for most parts you if using onboard raid you won't get much additional performance, you get more or less the same boot time, application load times, seek times. And with no TRIM yet for raid ,then this would in most cases be a better choice.

-Mic

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Someone asked this recently.  Basically it's not the fault of the SSD's, it's the fault of the raid controllers.  When the manufacturer of your raid controller has released updated firmware (or a motherboard bios update if its onboard raid) then you'll be fine.  And it's the same for a lot of single drive users too as the Intel hard disk driver doesn't yet support trim.

My average erase count in CrystalDiskInfo is 151. It's probbaly mroe complicated than this but I would imagine if that figure is more than 1 then i've rewritten each free nand at least once and it potential needs a wipe?  Well I've never done one and the drive still loads Windows and all my apps 7 times faster than my hard disk.

So why are you so concerned about freshening the drive up - are you actually experiencing any issues? Only write performance is affected and benchmarks show even dirty SSD's are faster than a raptor at writing.  I too want my drive running as fast as it'll go but it's so **bleep** fast anyway I personally believe it's not worth losing sleep over a theoretical drop in write performance that you probably wouldn't notice outside a benchmark.

I don't think formatting would help but  I believe a destructive flash (such as the one the firmware is likely to do) will reset the drive.  I'm near certain wiping and replacing Windows on a regular basis will waste considerably more of your time than the msecs time you'll save with faster writes though . :smileyhappy:

Only a final note I would love Garbage Collection or my hard disk controller to support TRIM but I'm not letting the lack of it detract from how fast the drives are without and cause me any distress.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to targetbsp

Incidentally I'm assuming the manually initiated garbage collection is a fancy name for a crucial branded wiper.  And wiper does not work on raid either. I take it your assuming the firmware has the built in garbage collection and its just manually initiated rather than running on idle time.  I hope your right cause that will be pretty cool.

SODIMM Sherpa
sonicsonic

in reply to targetbsp

so no raid support for wiper even after the new firmware?

its a mess

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to sonicsonic

Disclaimer:  My comment about wiper not working on raid is based on the fact that OCZ's wiper does not work on raids.  I have no knowledge as to what Crucial's manual GC potentially can or can't do. :smileyhappy:

DIMMented
rpsgc

in reply to sonicsonic

Take it to Indilinx then, or your RAID controller's manufacturer. If you didn't know beforehand that TRIM/wiper wasn't available for RAID then you should do better research before purchasing something. Or buy an Intel SSD, there, no worries.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to rpsgc

To the best of my knowledge the intel drive does not support TRIM either though they have promised a firmware update to the G2 to add it - so they're basically at the same point as the Indilinx drives.  II've seen it assumed that we are waiting on that to happen before we'll get AHCI driver updates from Intel to support Trim pass through.  Even if Intels drives did support it, you'd be just as stuck until your raid controller pass through the Trim commands surely?  So yeah, I think bugging your raid controller manufacturer is probably the best bet.

DIMMented
rpsgc

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

Intel drives don't NEED GC/Wiper/whatever.

Our Latest Posts