Remove Micron Firmware

Kilobyte Kid

Remove Micron Firmware

Hello!

I've been having some issues witht he most recent firmware update (M0CR060) and my SSD, and I'd like to remove it.

I've already tried going through some troubleshooting with support and on other forums and at this point I really just want to remove the firmware so I can atleast use my PC again.

Unfortunately I was unbale to find any information online about how to remove SSD firmware (I already re-imaged the drive during the troubleshooting which didn't remove the firmware).

Could someone please explain to me how this can be done?

Thank you!

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Remove Micron Firmware

You can't 'remove' the firmware.  It's an essential part of any hardwares operation.  And when you update it, it replaces the existing firmware in it's entirety with the new version.

What issues are you having with the new one? Perhaps we can help you.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I apologize for the late response, I live in Berlin and just woke up.

Copy paste from another forum:

"Basically I had been using this machine for around 6 months and then heard that you can update SSD firmware. Well I went ahead and installed Crucial's "Storage Executive" software and updated to their most recent firmware (M0CR060) through their software as recommended.

This is how it went...

The firmware downloaded --> Then I was prompted that my machine will have to restart --> Machine automatically restarts --> My machine appears to shut down? but the power LED light and fans are still running --> Nothing happens for 15 minutes and I eventually cold-start it --> After turning the machine back on, it installs the new Crucial firmware then takes me to the windows logon screen --> Okay that's fine I guess.

I then start playing Overwatch and during my very first match, my machine freezes and my music just starts buzzing really loud (just proving that the whole machine really froze). I quickly check to see if my machine was overheating but my case was still quite cool. I waited a little and eventually cold-started the machine.

When starting back up, it gets stuck in the same exact comatose state that I explained above during the firmware update. I waited a little and then eventually cold-started... After that it boots up normally.

After booting up again I try to simply "restart" my machine. It once again gets stuck in the state. I test it a couple more times and can 100% say that it gets stuck in this state every-time I restart but this doesn't happen when I do a normal "Shut Down", that works with seemingly no issues.

I then try playing Overwatch again but the same exact thing happens in the first match I play. (windows event view shows nothing other than my system had to restart unexpectedly)

I contacted Crucial support and they told me to reinstall Windows... I did re-image the drive but I'm getting the same issue (reinstalled all drivers and Motherboard is up to date, during this time I also re-seated my RAM and GPU, and cleared CMOS... no change).

I really apologize for the wall of text, but I'm at a lost with what to do here besides getting a new SSD and the prices are pretty high right now."

That's basically it.

Here's a bit more information about my machine:
SSD - CT525MX300SSD1
MB - ASRock AB350m Pro4
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600

GPU -  RX 580 8gb Asus dual

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 550W 80+ Gold Fully-M

RAM - Corsair LPX 3200 16GB

Windows 10 Home

Thank you!

Edit: I unforutnately have no way to currently test the drive in a different machine.

SODIMM Sherpa

toasty_kitten,

Sorry you are having this problem.  If it is any consolation, you may have needed to apply this update at some point anyway as I've had issues with the older firmwares.   The firmware update may just have exposed a hidden issue that would have taken longer to discover otherwise.  

If you have the Crucial Storage Executive software installed, run it and post screenshots from it especially  one with the SSD's SMART Attributes listed and the SSD's listed firmware to make sure it was actually updated.    There are other programs availabe to do this as well, but their reliability varies.  I believe the Crucial software will display this information.   Also you should be able to initiate an internal SSD SMART diagnostic.  I would suggest trying the long/extended version to see if it passes or fails (might take 15 minutes or so).

You should also investigate the Windows system logs with Event Viewer around the times you have these issues to see if they might point you to a possible cause as well.

If we determine from the SMART Attributes the SSD appears to be Ok, then  you might want to run a filesystem scan on the SSD.  I'm no longer a Windows user so I'm not sure if there is just one type of scan or if Windows now has two scan methods.   I would wait on the filesystem scan until we are sure the SSD appears Ok.

BTW, whenever I have to start from scratch with an SSD, I tend to perform a Sanitize/Secure Erase on it as this will tend to reset and erase the SSD restoring some performance to the drive and sometimes fixing internal issues.  I've had to do this to all of our MX300 SSDs in order to get them working properly again.

Kilobyte Kid

Hey, 

Thank you for the detailed response!

Smart.png

Here's a screenshot of the SMART tab.

Unfortunately I didn't see any way to run a SMART diagnositic of any kind in Storage Execuutive, and I couldn't find any answers to that after a goole search.

Also I won't be able to use the Storage Executive sanatize funtcion because this SSD is the only drive I have atm so I can't boot with anything else.

Kilobyte Kid

I'm using that version of the firmware with no issues.

I would try this.

Command Prompt - Run as Administrator . . . chkntfs c:

If you get a message like this (I don't think I got the exact wording):

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume C: is dirty

. . . then you need to run . . . chkdsk c: /r . . . or, I just do . . . chkdsk c: /x /r

What's going on?  A volume can be marked dirty if the system suffered a power interruption (power failure, plug pulling, battery removal, power button), aborted restart or ungraceful shutdown.

SODIMM Sherpa

toasty_kitten,

Your SSD looks good with those SMART Attributes.  Does Crucial Storage Executive show the SSD firmware as M0CR060?

The filesystem scan can also be initiated from Disk Management by right-clicking on the OS partition or as mb1280 mentions.  Both options will require a reboot so the scan can run.  If the scan does not solve your problem, then here are some other ideas:

Make sure to keep your motherboard system settings as close to defaults as possible. Disable any overclocking or tweaking of the CPU, GPU or memory.  I would recommend saving your motherboard system settings and then resetting everything to defaults.  Leave all of these settings at the defaults until you figure out the issue.

Connect the SSD to another power connector from the power supply and another SATA port on the motherboard.   Also disconnect any uneccessary internal & external devices from the system during testing.

One thing to keep in mind with Windows 10 is that a Restart & Shutdown are not the same as it was in earlier verisons of Windows.  A Windows 10 Restart & Shutdown only perform a soft restart/shutdown.  To do a traditional full hard restart or shutdown, you need to hold down the Shift key while selecting the option and executing it.  This does not always work, but if you see and can interact with the System POST by bringing up the System Boot menu you performed a full shutdown.

If you press the "F8" key as Windows boots (timing is critical), you can get a Windows boot menu where you can enable boot logging. This could tell you where the system hangs on a reboot.  You could also try select "Safe Mode" to see if it boots properly.  If so, you can narrow the problem down to a driver or software issue since a Safe Mode boot only loads a few basic drivers and disables other startup items.

After a crash, try investigating using Windows' Event Viewer to check the logs.  Look to see if anything unusual might have been logged before the crash.  Check the software logs as well as the system logs.

Do you have sufficient free space on your Windows volumes?

If the problem only occurs with Overwatch, have you investigated to see if an Overwatch update could be causing your problem?  Also make sure your AMD GPU driver is up to date and check if it could be the source of the problem.  Is there an offline mode for Overwatch?  If so, can you install an older version without patching to test it offline?

With Windows 7 I know there was a way to set up Windows to monitor your system resources and view the results later. I'm not a Windows user so I'm not sure if Windows 10 still has this feature or where it would be located.  Even with Win7 it was not exactly the easiest to find & configure.

Determine what may have changed since you updated the SSD's firmware on the old Windows installation.  Did you apply any Windows updates, installed any new or patched software, updated motherboard firmware, any new devices attached to your computer, etc.

If you never applied the Fall Creators Update v1709 before the SSD update, then this could possibly make a difference in behavior.  If you have an older Windows 10 installer, you can use it to reinstall Windows, but then only patch it to the Spring 2017 update (v1703?) and test.  Use the Windows default drivers or use any pre-2018 drivers if they are available.  Of course you may need to install the AMD GPU drivers to test Overwatch.

Another possibility is you've installed newer drivers or system software for your motherboard.  Some drivers & Windows patches since v1709 may contain updates to work around the CPU Spectre vulnerabilities.  These updates were and are still being pushed out beginning in Jan. 2018.  The same goes for the motherboard firmware.  You shouldn't notice any performance hit playing games though, but there is always a possibility the updates are causing crashes.

Make sure you don't have some other software running in the background which is consuming system resources or bandwidth.  Make sure your web browsers are not running as they can be resource hogs and the advertisements might even be using your computer to mine bitcoins.  Are you sure you don't have a virus/malware infection or your anti-virus isn't causing a problem or you?

If you are unable to sort out the issue and go to reinstall Windows again, then only install the bare minimum of software & drivers necessary to test Overwatch as this really narrows things down.

If you go to reinstall Windows again, then I would highly recommend performing a Secure Erase.  If you have the M.2 or NVME SSD, then your best option is to purchase a copy of Parted Magic since it has a nice GUI (I've never used it and it may not work in all situations, but I think it would for you).  If you have a SATA SSD, then you can use Parted Magic or you can use a free Knoppix Live USB/CD and the Linux command line to perform the ATA Secure Erase.  Using Knoppix will require you to pull the power cable from the SATA SSD in order to "unfreeze" it since you cannot put the system to sleep since Knoppix uses a RAM disk and won't wake up properly.

Consider that the SSD firmware update may just have revealed an existing Windows or system hardware problem.   Try plugging the computer directly into the wall outlet.   If nothing else helps, then I would consider trying another quality power supply.  Until you are done all your testing, keep everything at their defaults settings and just install the bare minimum of software for testing. 

You can try testing your memory using MemTest86 or MemTest86+ (not sure which is the best these days).  You can also stress test your system with Prime95.  Choose the "stress test" option and NOT the one for participating in computing prime numbers.

Edit:  Do you happen to have any devices* which would draw a lot of power  plugged into the same electrical circuit (circuit breaker)?  Items such as a Laser Printer, portable electrical heater, microwave, refrigerator, etc. can all potentially cause a power  issue with a PC when they activate causing system instability & lockups.

*I cannot believe the forum won't let me post using the word appli@nce!