Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SSD firmware update on a Mac

Posted By Moderator Moderator Posts: 1215 Registered 04-23-2009

To update the firmware on your SSD, follow the steps below. Please ensure you are using an internal SuperDrive for the update, and that your SSD is internally connected to a SATA port.

1. Download the latest firmware here : http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx
2. Click on the .iso to highlight it. Hold down Control and click on the .iso a second time.
 3. Select “Open With” in the menu that comes up,  then select Disk Utility.
4. In the list of drives in Disk Utility, select the ISO
5. Insert a blank CD into the SuperDrive
6. Click “Burn”
7. Ensure “Verify burned data” is checked
8. Once the burn is complete, shut down your Mac
9. Press and hold the Option key, and power Mac back on.
10. On the Startup Manager screen, wait for the firmware CD to appear. This may take a minute, or longer.
11. Click on the CD named “Windows” to highlight it, and then click the arrow just below the CD symbol to boot from the firmware CD.
12. Let the update utility run, following the steps on the screen to update your SSD firmware.

Once the firmware update has finished, use the power button to shut down and restart your Mac, and let it boot back up to your desktop.

One of the bloggers at The Cru has created a video on how to update the firmware on a Crucial SSD installed in a Mac. The video uses an M500, but the process is the same for the M225, the C300 , and the M4.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for more information on Crucial SSDs?  Learn more here!

Looking for Customer Service? Contact Crucial Support for your region.

Comments
by AlexLamPhoto on ‎04-02-2013 06:45 PM

Hi I already install my SSD drive with the 040H update before I install it in my MacBook Pro now my main drive with SSD M4 and my Optibay with HDD my question is can I update my firmware using and external CD ROM or USB Flash Drive? need advice ASP Thanks

by Moderator Moderator on ‎04-03-2013 09:31 AM

This article should have the answer you are looking for: Can I update the SSD firmware from an external CD drive?

If you have further questions, and if it is urgent, I would strongly recommend that you contact Customer Support for assistance. Make you you select the correct link for your region.

by gaznev2000 on ‎06-24-2013 12:48 PM

I also have a malfunctioning sdd that freezes my computer every hour and another 750gb drive in Optibay. So what is the solution for updating my ssd firmware on a mac?

by Moderator Moderator on ‎06-24-2013 01:03 PM

The easiest solution for you would probably be to temporarily put the SuperDrive back into your optibay to run the firmware update. If that is not an option, another method would be to temporarily move the SSD into a system that has an optical drive, run the update, and return the SSD to the original computer.

by pjw on ‎08-31-2013 04:14 AM

Hi,

you can update the firmware using an external DVD drive. I did it this way yesterday and the Unix System booted without any problems and made the firmware update. But it must support booting on OSX and it must be connected via USB (Firewire is not supported). 

Important is also that you have your keyboard connected via cable. 

by Cuyler on ‎10-28-2013 11:25 PM

So if the firmware installer works with an external USB DVD drive, shouldn't it also work with a USB flash drive?

by GrySql ‎11-03-2013 10:15 AM - edited ‎11-04-2013 01:52 PM

I bought a M500 960GB with the MU02 firmware for my 27" iMac 2.93GHz Quad as the second internal disk.

I used Disk Utility on my iMac to an external hard drive with the Crucial SSD M500 in it to initialize to the proper and newest Mac OSX format.

After the SSD's install into the iMac using the iMac's second internal SATA cable I followed the MU03 Firmware download/burn procedure here and was able to get to the DOS screen on the iMac for the firmware update.

At the point where I needed to type 'yes' I could not use my USB keyboard, I tried another - no response.  I re-booted this burned disk using the 'Option' method a few times and gave up.

My solution was to startup into my Bootcamp/Win7 partition.  From there I downloaded the Win7 Firmware, followed the instructions and re-booted Bootcamp/Win7, it started the MU03 Firmware update, I typed 'yes' to begin and all went smoothly.

I am now typing this on the Crucial M500 960GB SSD in my iMac, using the latest MU03 Firmware and Mac OSX Maveriks.

It is very smooth and fast.

This method should work with any MacMini, MBP or iMac that has Bootcamp with either Win 7 or Win 8 installed.

by wtzouris on ‎11-25-2013 06:08 AM

Is there any way to update a Crucial M500 480GB SSD to firmware MU03 using a MacBook Pro Retina and the this M500 SSD in an external enclosure?  I use this drive in a USB3.0 case, not in my laptop.  I don't have a spare laptop for just firmware upgrades.. there must be some other way?

by Moderator Moderator ‎11-25-2013 08:43 AM - edited ‎11-25-2013 08:44 AM

At this time, there is unfortunately not a way to update the firmware on a Crucial SSD that is connected through a USB enclosure.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Can-I-update-the-SSD-firmware-with-an-S...

by wtzouris on ‎11-25-2013 09:04 AM

Thanks.

by Prusten on ‎12-04-2013 08:55 AM

Is that possible to update the firmware on a Crutial SSD connected as internal second disk? My MacBook run with the OS on the other internal disk of course.

by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎12-04-2013 10:13 AM

Hi Prusten,

Thank you for contacting us today. The SSD would need to be installed internally (not via USB) and needs to be connected to the SATA port directly. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns about this process.

by Prusten on ‎12-04-2013 02:15 PM

Thanks YogiH for your quick replay.

I've just read the guides (from http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx), i think i will do the firmware update in windows (i have a bootcamp section on my OS drive) it seems easier in windows :smileyhappy:.

by dbarbetto ‎12-12-2013 04:27 PM - edited ‎12-20-2013 10:36 AM

Hi to everyone,

first of all sorry for my bad english. So let's go to the question.

I bought a M500 480GB SSD, to be installed on my Mac Pro 4.1, and precisely on the PCI card, Sonnet Tempo SSD.
Everything works great, fast boot, impressive speed, but ...
When I check the firmware version of my M500, I find that it is the MU02, so follow your instructions step by step and create a bootable CD with the sofware downloaded from your site, to upgrade to MU03..
I reboot my Mac Pro with the CD, the DOS program start, searching and spinning, but the program say that don't found any SSD, after a while remains only a blinking prompt A>:
Any suggestions would be appreciated :smileyhappy:

EDIT:  Since no one answered me, I rolled up my sleeves and I found the solution by itself. After several attempts and failures related, I also tried to install my M500 into a USB external case...., only later I read in the forum that you can not do a firmware update via USB.

But this has opened my eyes, so I simply connected the M500, directly to the motherboard of the MacPro. 

Exactly, i used the third bay, which is free from any obstacle. The entire update operation lasted 4 minutes.

I have to say that the performances are much improved now, so thanks Crucial (and Sonnet).

by grumpyolman ‎02-26-2014 03:45 PM - edited ‎02-26-2014 04:24 PM

Thanks for the info and options.  I plan to put the M500 SSD into an Apricorn Velocity X2 pcie adaptor.  Can I update the SSD when it is installed in the adaptor or should I remove on of the HDDs and insert the SSD directly into the motherboard as suggested above?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

by Moderator Moderator on ‎02-27-2014 08:19 AM

Unfortunately the SSD needs to be connected directly to a SATA port in order for the firmware update to run properly. So yes, I would suggest Temporarily connecting the SSD directly to the motherboard for the update. After the firmware has been updated, you can move the SSD back to the adapter again.

by jeroen on ‎04-28-2014 07:47 AM

Hello,

sorry for the bad English at first, its not my native language.

There is a small problem with installing the update (mu05) on my mac.

I have burned a cd with het iso image, so that’s good.

When I boot the mac I goes great until I come to this screen, 

Schermafbeelding 2014-04-28 om 15.34.13.png

then my mac screen goes black the cd stops spinning and noting happens.

What can I do , to resolve this problem ?

by Chris_Soucey on ‎10-27-2014 01:04 PM

Crucial needs a "quick sheet" on what drives latest revisions are somewhere on the site. 

We have multiple drives in our office and being able to look at them in a glance would be very helpful..also people would not have to do searches through a knowledge base to find the direct current revision to a direct link to the current update.

An Excel spreadsheet on the site would be more efficient..than finding what the current Revision is for M4 SSD. I've wasted 10 min just looking for it.

by kimbakat on ‎10-27-2014 03:56 PM

Did not work.

I also tried creating an ISO bootable USB. While it was successful in creating the USB...the MacPro did not recognize it.

Unfortunately, Crucial has no soluiton for Mac users that need to upgrade their SSD Drives.

Try Samsung SSD drives.

Article Dashboard
Our Latest Posts