Start cloning Ssd an P C immediately shuts down - how to tell if this is normal

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Start cloning Ssd an P C immediately shuts down - how to tell if this is normal

I read the instructions carefully and it does state that it’s okay if the PC shuts down or restarts, but it’s been an hour and I can’t tell if anything is happening 

i downloaded and started the Acronis program; identified the source and destination drives, hit proceed, then got message that won’t proceed unless I restart, so I agree and now nothing. I know it should take a while but I’ve got a black screen, no notifications, no noise although the computer is on. Is this normal? Or should I do something?

thanks for any help

4 Replies
Silicon Sultan

Re: Start cloning Ssd an P C immediately shuts down - how to tell if this is normal

Weird. I would recommend the trial verson of easeus, though I wonder how you are going about the cloning, such as how are the drives attached, etc.

SODIMM Sherpa

Re: Start cloning Ssd an P C immediately shuts down - how to tell if this is normal

It's possible your computer's security settings or drive encryption could be interfering with the clone.

You also did not specify how your drives are connected.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for helping.

I connected the SSD using a SATA to USB cable as instructions stated.

My system is a Windows 10, HP Envy 700-060 desktop from 2014. Its internal SSD of 128 GB is mostly full. My goal was to clone it to a new 500GB SSD and then replace the old smaller drive. 

How would I know if my security settings or drive encryption were interfering? 

(I can follow instructions, and I used to be knowledgable in the old days, but now I have to say I'm a beginner)

If cloning is a mistake and I should do a "clean install" on the new drive, can you direct me to instructions to do this?

Thanks again

Barrie

Kilobyte Kid

Problem solved after Ryan at Crucial tech support suggested I create Acronis bootable media and then proceed with cloning.
Thanks