Swapping cloned SSD

Kilobyte Kid

Swapping cloned SSD

Fyi - I'm new to 'cloning' so bear with me.

So I used Macrium Reflect to clone my 4 1/2 year old Crucial SSD onto a new Crucial SSD. (see pic below)

(1) - My C: drive is now Disk1 - it used to be Disk0 - is this normal?

Confession: I shut down the PC and went to bed; today when I got home, for some reason I plugged the new SSD into the Motherboard socket that was being used by the old SSD and vice-versa - and then powered on the PC - Mistake? - Also,  I haven't re-booted since swapping the motherboard connections,

(2) - Should I just power off, take out my old SSD and re-boot?

or

(3) - Should I go into Bios and make the new SSD the boot drive? Leaving my old drive in as a backup.

(4) - Looking at the pic below, does it look 'kosher' to you? They aren't exactly the same but....will the Disk0 drive populate with Boot, Page file, Crash dump, etc when the old drive is removed?

Please advise

Thanks

Widows 7 (btw)

new ssd.JPG

1 Reply
SODIMM Sherpa

Re: Swapping cloned SSD

It should be Ok to shutdown the PC.   I would put your new SSD on the SATA0 connector and disconnect your original SSD so you can confirm the system will boot with the new cloned SSD.  Once you get the new SSD booting, then you can try adding the original SSD.   

If your new SSD won't boot by itself, then you need to go into your UEFI settings and make it the default/1st boot drive or boot OS depending how your system handles these things.  (From the screenshot, it looks like your system is using GPT partitions and boots with UEFI).

Before trying to add the original SSD to the system, make sure to create a new file or folder on the Desktop which is unique to the new SSD so when you do try booting with both drives attached  you will be able to easily tell which drive actually booted by whether or not that file is visible on your Desktop. 

If you attach the orginal drive to SATA1, then before trying to boot Windows go back into the BIOS/UEFI settings to make sure your new SSD is still the first boot device.  I would remove any reference to the original SSD in the boot order.   Does the system still automatically boot to the new SSD (check for the special file you created)?  If so, then you can leave everything like this.  

If this is your only system, I'm not sure I would risk trying to boot to the original SSD in 2nd position unless you first remove the new one.   I'm not saying it cannot be done, but it's not worth risking your only system.  I can understand wanting to keep a spare boot drive in case of emergencies, but I don't think it is worth the trouble.   Most likely you will start to store stuff on it and that is not good as the drive is cluttered with Windows files.   Better to erase it now or put it in a drawer.

If you ever need to repair your Windows installation you will likely need to use a Windows installer to repair the drive.   If the system is not bootable and you need to recover files from it, then a Live Linux USB drive such as Knoppix can be used.

As for Disk Management showing Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, etc. it is because it is part of the booted drive.   Windows is treating the other drive as just a data drive so it is ignoring the Windows installation on it.    So when you finally boot to the other drive, it should show all that stuff in Disk Management.