Updating firmware with Utility for Crucial m4

Kilobyte Kid

Updating firmware with Utility for Crucial m4

Hello,

I have a crucial m4 500gb that keeps disappearing out of Windows 10.  It was also crashing my macbook pro when I had it installed.  It only works when I unplug, and then plug the sata cable back in my mobo.  I ran HD tune and everything seems healthy, so I suspect it could be a firmware thing?  However, my other crucial m4 SSD works just fine.

Anyway, I downloaded.crucial storage executive but I can't figure out what file to select.  Keeps saying error, wrong zip file.  It' meant for windows 7 but installed and is working on windows 10.

File I'm trying to update firmware with:

http://www.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/firmware/m4/070H/crucial-m4-070h-07-00.zip

Specs:

GA UD5 x79

windows 10

Thanks!

7 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Updating firmware with Utility for Crucial m4

Old M4 firmware revisions (0001, 0002, or 0009) have a bug so it is possible you are encountering some issues that are related to this bug. However Crucial Storage Executive tool does not support M4. You can update the firmware with Windows 7 updater, Windows 8 updated or with manual boot file (the file you have downloaded). In general you have to create bootable media with this .iso file - please take a look at firmware update utility guide.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

I have windows 7 on another HDD, do I just do it through control pannel or devide manager?  I don't see any updates, and device manager never finds the new driver.  Currently says they are from 2006 and it's the best driver.  Also I can't select folder from device manager when it asks, it just skips to "best driver already installed"

DIMMented

Download the firmware updater from here.    

BTW, which MBPro model were you having issues with this SSD?

JEDEC Jedi

Device manager manages OS drivers, SSD firmware is a different thing. 

If you have Windows 7 on another HDD you can download Windows 7 updater and use it for SSD firmware update -  Crucial m4 2.5-inch SSD Version 070H - Windows® 7 Updater Application

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks I'll try that next because this didn't work:

1.  Downloaded this, burned ISO to usb - http://www.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/firmware/m4/070H/crucial-m4-070h-07-00.zip

2.  Loaded USB and "No eligable drives were found"

I had both crucial M4s connected, neither were found.  However I have them running through a LSI 8i JBOD PCIe configure.  Does it need to be in my SATA ports to read properly?  Don't see how that would matter

thanks!

JEDEC Jedi

Yeah, as far as I know the drive(s) should be connected to SATA port (preferably via primary SATA controller, some motherboard have few SATA controllers). Peripheral PCIe/RAID cards may not pass the necessary commands to perform firmware updates.

Kilobyte Kid

Plugged into SATA.  SSD is fixed and is visible after windows boots.

Thanks.