Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SODIMM Sherpa
Holt

Re: low 4K-64K with AS SSD

in reply to lsdmeasasp

Running prime on one core ist just to avoid the CPU to enter Power-saving-States that effekt the 4k Performance. In 4k_64 it is not needed, as the Benchmark itself keeps the CPU busy.

SODIMM Sherpa
Dionysos

[ Edited ]
in reply to m0fus

I contacted the Crucial support already. I am not sure, if that is a reason for RMA, I just dont feel comfortable with a drive, that doesn't perform as all the other drives I've seen. I even tested with another m4 on the same system, same circumstances, etc.

The results are not average:

seq read and write is just 10-20 MB/s slower, I wouldn't care.

4K is good.

4K-64 is bad. I should get about 100 MB/s higher reads and about 50 MB/s higher writes.

I used the enhanced option for secure erase.

Tha "bad" drive came with firmware 0001,

the other one with 0009.

But I didn't torture the "old" drive, as you can see in post #1 (CrystalDiskInfo).

Edit: Hello Holt. :smileywink:

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Dionysos

There's a thread on the subject here but I don't think it went anywhere: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/4K-64Thrd-has-dropped-by-over-50/td-p/76626

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to Dionysos

Thanks for the info on Prime95, I've never heard of that but I guess it's probably because I always have all of that power saving disabled anyway because I'm an overclocker.

I agree, it does seem like something is up with one drive, when you directly compare like that they should be the same.  Are you testing each SSD by itself, from another windows install?  If not you should and see if they test the same or not, IE both SSD's empty and tested from a third disk running windows, so windows is not busy on the SSD's while you test.

What about my other questions, on the drives themselves?

SODIMM Sherpa
Dionysos

in reply to lsdmeasasp

Thanks for the link targetbsp!

Obviously the performance drop does not only happen to me.

The other questions : Is it normal and what causes it?

@ lsdmeasasp:

I used the enhanced option for secure erase.

The "bad" drive came with firmware 0001,

the other one with 0009.

Don't know if there are other differences, 0009 working again in another computer.

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
m0fus

[ Edited ]

it doesn't, as my scores dive wlhen any thing but full cpu power is active. so, you haven't disabled c states? you said you had, but now are concerned lthat they will come back?

in reply to m0fus

do not use the enhanced option. you would be writing random data to the drive, degrading it's performance. others have had issues after doing this. only use the regular internal option.

in reply to m0fus

I just used the enhanced option once before starting the tests.

After that I secure erased the drives one more time without the enhanced option.

Anyway, the enhanced option shouldn't be destructive, and it didn't affect the "good" drive, as you can see from the benchmark results.

SODIMM Sherpa
Dionysos

in reply to Dionysos

Crucial promises in the specs at least 40.000 iops read and 35.000 iops write for random 4k.

They use Iometer. I don't really know how to use that program and how to configure it to test the way Crucial does. Can anyone explain it to me or give me a link?

With AS SSD I don't get the promised iops. 

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
m0fus

in reply to Dionysos

in as ssd, you go by the 64Q depth results. if both of your drives have had the same things done to them, and one is performing sub par constantly, you should look toward crucial for an rma, or further instructions re your issue.