Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
jduffy

Re: Issue with 4GB Crucial Memory Module in 2011 21.5 2.5Ghz Quad iMac

in reply to jduffy

Replacement DIMM delivered, installed and appears to be working. System started right away without issue. Shows 12GBs of memory as it should, VMware Fusion running with Winblows7 and a whole bunch of other stuff. Seems to be good to go now.

Duffy

Bit Baby
gte864f

in reply to jduffy

Duffy,

My replacement DIMM arrived today as well.  I installed it and it is showing 16GBs of memory.  I'm glad thats all over with.  I'm thinking about selling the memory I replaced on ebay.  I'm sure someone would by 4Gbs of 1333Mhz ram. Time to test all this ram out on cs5.5.

Marv

Bit Baby
GaryKimes

in reply to jduffy

Hello .. I also bought the low end quad core iMac.  Apple support says memory can be configured to 16GB ONLY through the Apple store online,  yet,  the Apple store iMac does not allow an upgrade past 8GB!  Weirder yet MacMall wants $899 to top off @ 16GB where crucial is $188!  

I want this settled before I make a purchase.   I do not want to fry anything and not be under apple care.

Anyone running 16GBs on the MC309LL/A iMac?  I'd like to be in touch.

:smileyvery-happy:Unbelievable that I will be runnning 16GB ram with a quad core processor for 1444. :smileyvery-happy:

GaryK

Binary Boss
jduffy

in reply to GaryKimes

Don't buy Apple memory, it is just over priced. The Crucial memory will work....well it should...a few of us got bad DIMMS, but Crucial replaced them and they are now installed and working as you can read above.

I have 12GBs of memory now and I have had all sorts or programs running as well as Windows7 virtual machine and never used above 8GBs yet. So 16GBs....well it might be overkill. Why don't you just order 2 4GB DIMMs now and take it to 12GBs to see how it works for you before spending the money to go to 16GBs? Just a suggestion.

Duffy

Bit Baby
ephraimross

in reply to jduffy

Agreed, I received 2 x 4gb dimms for my new iMac as well.  1 of the 2 is bad.  It actually posts properly, i.e I can turn the machine on and it will tell me I have 12gb of memory (2x2 and 2x4 crucial).  But, after using it for a few minutes to an hour it will lock up and make the most god awful sound while it does it.  Ive isolated the bad stick, and am currently running with 8gb perfectly.  Time to RMA.

You'd think they could test these sticks before sending them out?  Just seems like a pain to install, get frustrated, troubleshoot, RMA, wait, reinstall, retest, etc.

Kilobyte Kid
laserman

in reply to jduffy

I have this same IMAC with 4gb of Apple memory; 2 gb on 1 memory stick & 2 gb on the other

I've purchased & am looking at Crucial memory sticks: 8gb; 2 sticks & each stick has 4gb

thanks to this discusion I will be installing 1 crucial memory stick & see if my computer accepts it before insert the other Crucial memory stick.

No where in this discussion have I seen anything being mentioned about whether or not the original Apple memory & the slots they are occupying, should be replaced with the 4gb Crucial sticks.  Does it make any difference which slots are occupied by the Apple memory sticks & the Crucial memory sticks?  I want the computer to use the higher gb Crucial sticks first & then use the lower gb Apple memory if needed

Crucial_maulmod

in reply to laserman

In general, we recommend that the largest modules are installed in the first/ main slots in a system so very often this means moving the original memory to the empty slots & adding the new ones to the previously occupied slots.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
laserman

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_maulmod

After watching numerous YouTube Videos & then stumbling onto Crucial.com TROUBLESHOOTING guide:

http://www.crucial.com/support/troubleshooting_install.aspx

I worked up the courage to put both Crucial Memory sticks into the top slots & move the existing Apple memory into the bottom slots.

I ran the GeekBench FREE download & got the numbers BEFORE & AFTER the memory addition & was happy to see the improved numbers (instant gratification)

NO PROBLEMS.  Everything worked fine.  The only thing I would recommend, which isn't covered by Crucial's TROUBLESHOOTING guide, is:

• Brace the computer up against a wall, so that when you exert 20 pounds of force with both thumbs to push the memory into their respective slots, the computer won't move.  The force need to insert the memory left dark red indentation lines on both thumbs.
  • Check the electrical outlet to be sure it is properly grounded so that when you plug the computer power cord into the computer & the electrical outlet you will know THE COMPUTER is GROUNDED
  • I plugged a separate line from the electrical outlet to my wrist, so I would know I was GROUNDED
  • I wore rubber gloves when handling the memory sticks.

This was the first time I've been inside this or any other computer.

I suspect, the problems others had was because they:

• didn't follow directions, 
  • didn't properly ground themselves & their computer.  
Bit Baby
Jean_LG

in reply to jduffy

I have a similar problem but with an older iMac. I was running on 2G, took the two memory modules out and put in the new ones that should give me 4g. 

When I plugged the computer back in it just started beeping loudly at me. 

Do you think I should try the trying one at a time of each process? The two older ones were really hard to get out. Is that typical?

Thanks!

Jean LG

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to Jean_LG

Hi Jean_LG,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your memory upgrade.  I would recommend trying each of the memory modules one at a time in the system to see if they both work on their own.

I would also check the sticker on your original memory to make sure that they are the same speed.  iMac systems are very particular about what memory speed they need so this is an important thing to check.  iMac's can also be a bit different for memory installation, even when your memory module looks fully installed it may need pushed in further.

Try these steps out and if you need any help or to arrange a return you can contact customer service with the links in my signature.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Our Latest Posts