Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Baby
surgeongeneral

late 2012 27" imac problem!!!!!! Won't accept memory

I ordered two kits of the CT8G3S160BM.M16FED memory for my new late 2012 iMac (3.4 Ghz i7) and it won't work. I get the three beeps of death every time. I used crucial's memory type selector to pick out my product, and it even lists my computer's specs on my receipt. I know how to seat the memory, and the apple provided RAM works every single time I reseat it. I've been emailing crucial every day, and they have been unresponsive until today when I received a lazy, lazy response that had me questioning if the person had even read my email. IN THE COMPLETE ABSENCE OF CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND ACCOUNTABILITY, I AM NOW FORCED TO THROW AN INTERNET TANTRUM. I WISH I HAD DEALT WITH A DIFFERENT COMPANY.
Kilobyte Kid
stevee

Re: late 2012 27" imac problem!!!!!! Won't accept memory

in reply to surgeongeneral

Hmm when I plug in the late 2012 27" to the memory selector I get the following results as compatible (I'm from Canada so maybe that's why the numbers are different?):

CT3650257 (8Gig)

CT3650258 (16Gig)

It is super confusing trying to figure out which RAM works with your system.  I too am looking to buy for the same system as you.  I've come up with 4 different sets, all with different numbers, all of which apparently will work.  However some come up as Non Compatible for the iMac system listed above...

Junket explained it in one of the previous posts, but it is still very confusing as a consumer who just wants to buy RAM...

Kilobyte Kid
dinnyf

Similar problem here.  Same machine, same model number RAM and I can't get my machine to recognize above 16GB.  Moreover, it won't even acknowledge that all 4 slots are full.  However, I can confirm that each slot works if I mess around a bit.  I just can't get them all to work at the same time.

Would appreciate Crucial looking into this to see if there's an issue.

Kilobyte Kid
dinnyf

in reply to dinnyf

Anyone else having problems with the late 2012 27" iMacs?

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: late 2012 27" Imac problem!!!!!! Won't accept memory

Hi Surgeongeneral,

First of all I would like to say sorry for the issues you have had with this memory update.  I have looked in to this system for you and I can confirm that you have ordered the correct type of RAM. 

This system does support 32GB of memory and that’s the exact memory type.  Apple systems are very particular about how memory is installed and can sometimes look like it’s fully installed but needs to be pressed in harder.  I would recommend trying each memory module one at a time in the system. 

This will let you know if there is a fault with any of the modules and we will exchange it.

You can also contact us toll-free on 800-336-8915 Monday - Friday: 7am - 6pm

Hi Stevee

If you can confirm the exact processor speed of your iMac I would be more than happy ro recommend the correct memory for you.

Hi Dinnyf

We don't have any underlining issues with that model at all and if you would like a memory recommendation we would be more than happy to recommend the correct memory for you.  Just confirm the processor speed and we will confirm the compatible memory for your system.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
dinnyf

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Hi Crucial_Junket,

I have a late 2012 iMac, i7 3.4 GHz with the big SSD.  I have ordered 3 pairs of the correct memory (using the Crucial configurator), but can't get the iMac to recognize anything above 16GB.  I have confirmed that all the RAM is good by placing each stick in a RAM socket on the machine in question.  I have also confirmed that each slot in the iMac (4 of them) is good by doing same.  The problem arises when more than 2 sticks are installed at once.  The machine just won't acknowledge above 16GB RAM and/or more than 2 slots full.  Very hard to troubleshoot this issue with Apple because of course they won't vouch for third party RAM and the Apple Store, rather annoyingly, doesn't have any of the new RAM to pop in to see if it works.  So I've ordered RAM through Apple.  If it works, Crucial can expect 3 RMAs.  If it doesn't, then Apple can expect a return of this machine due to logic board.  In the meantime, I'd ask Crucial to confirm that the sticks it is recommending with the highest spec'd iMac do indeed work. 

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to dinnyf

Hi dinnyf,

Thank you for your reply.  First of all what's the screen size of this iMac system?

Also can you confirm the exact Crucial part numbers as listed on the side of the memory modules?  That way I can make sure that you are ordering the exact correct memory for your system.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
Bit Baby
peterhoffman

in reply to Crucial_Junket

I just got my RAM today too - same kind as the OP and same 3 beeps not recognizing.

What's the deal?

I got 2x 8gig  sticks to go with the 2x 4 gig sticks on my 27" 2013 iMac but it won't work with even just one of the crucial sticks plugged in - and yes they are seated all the way in - double/triple checked and seated them hard enough to where i could barely pull them out.

What's going on with this incompatibily? 

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to peterhoffman

Hi peterhoffman,

Have you tried the new memory individually, one stick at a time? If so, what is the part number on the stick of memory? It should read something like CT8G3S160BM.M16, etc. Is your model also the 2012 iMac (3.4 Ghz i7)? Thank you.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

Bit Baby
sjoneill

in reply to peterhoffman

I had the same issue, called Apple support and they stated that I couldn't mix the Apple and Crucial memory (which sounded wrong, though by that point I was willing to try it). So if installed one of the crucial RAM modules alone it worked, then installed another, then they both worked (in certain slots - 2 & 3). Installed the Apple RAM on top and it stops working again, removed the Apple RAM and it somehow stops the Crucial RAM that was working from working. So repeated the original approach of 1 Crucial RAM followed by the next and it works fine (withough the original 8GB Apple RAM).

Looks like the hardware is very picky about the loading approach, I'm going to order 16GB more Crucial memory to see if they all work together... 

Our Latest Posts