Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
mikidagrate

Computer doesnt work right after i install my 4gb of ddr2 ram

[ Edited ]

hi my computer crashes on the start up screen ( where i log in to my account ) it was working fine before i installed my new memory. i took out my original 512 ram that i had in. i then installed the 4 new 1gb ram cards in the 4 slots available. they fit perfect and my computer registerd them and then it froze on the log in menu for windows xp. i have tryed everything i have taken the sticks out and put my original 512 back in and now my computer does not even work ( i am using a differnt computer to type this obviously ) i cant get into my computer now because the new ram has done something to it, i know this because it was working fine before i turned it off and installed my new ram. i am so annoyed.. what has happened? the ram cant be faulty? because even with the new ram taken out of the motherboard and the orginal back in it stil does not work!. could i please have some help!!

i have a hp microtower 7200 business desktop

windows xp

my computer now freezes at the start up menu with no mouse movement ( have tryed changeing mouses ) nothing seems to be any use.. 

P;s there is no point exchangeing the memory since my computer wont even work now even with the orginal 512. the new ram has done something and im sure there is a solution!!. 

crucial i would like a new computer though!

Kilobyte Kid
mikidagrate

Re: Computer doesnt work right after i install my 4gb of ddr2 ram

in reply to mikidagrate

bump. help please... i have no computer =(

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: Computer doesn't work right after I install my 4gb of ddr2 ram

in reply to mikidagrate

Hi mikidagrate,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your memory upgrade.

Faulty memory can't really damage your motherboard it would just prevent the system from booting.  This means even with the small possibility that we sent you faulty memory it would not have damaged your system.

It actually sounds like the memory is not installed firmly enough in the system.  When installing memory it can take up to 20 pounds of pressure to make sure it is seated correctly.  Make sure that the clips fasten to the memory module on their own and even then push the memory module a bit further and it should resolve your problems.

The only way a memory module can damage a system is if the system is turned on with the memory module not installed correctly.  As this is a user to user forum you may have to contact out customer service team direct to get faster support, please use the link below to contact customer service.

Customer Service

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
mikidagrate

in reply to Crucial_Junket

the 2 clips make a clicking sound as i apply firm pressure. my computer also reads the memory because it says so when i boot it, it tells me that i have changed it and it tells me how many mb i have.

but ok thanks for your help ill try customer support

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to mikidagrate

Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet?  If not please try that, and then test your old memory by itself again in slots 1 or 2 from the CPU.

Here's a PDF that shows where the Clear CMOS pins are and how to use them, I'd leave it shorted on clear CMOS for at least 10 minutes with the power supply unplugged from the wall

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02696097/c02696097.pdf

Kilobyte Kid
mikidagrate

in reply to lsdmeasasp

i tryed cmos. i put the 512 in slot 1 (other slots clear) unplugged the powersupply and pressed the little button for 5 seconds and left it. booted it back up, it registerd my 512 and then it needed me to set the date and time so i did that and then i saved the settings. it booted up and failed

" windows it starting up "

after that interface it freezes on the place i log in.

do i need a booting cd?  

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to mikidagrate

Since you cleared CMOS and it gets to windows but stalls or reboots, you may need to set the SATA/disk settings back to what they were before.   Find the SATA controller settings in your BIOS, and try AHCI if it's set to IDE now, or try IDE if it's set to AHCI now, one of those will get you to windows and one will fail depending on how windows was installed.

Our Latest Posts