Correct bios settings

Kilobyte Kid

Correct bios settings

Hello all,

I'm running into problems running my Crucial DDR3 ram at 1333 using auto settings in the bios such as blue screens and programs freezing. Is there a way to find more specific details about the ram I bought such as optimum bios settings for each setting under the DRAM section, the Crucial web page does not give enough information to go by. Because of these blue screens I've been forced to learn more about bios settings, ram, processor & motherboard and learned enough to try running the ram at 1066 and it seems to be stable so far.

Where would I be able to find Correct bios settings for this ram and am I better off just leaving it running at 1066 with the rest of the bios settings on auto? Thanks I'll leave my system info below.

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model:  GA-890GPA-UD3H
DDR3: Crucial Part #16JTF51264AZ-1G4D1, Kit 2 sticks 4GB each (I hope this is right I got it from CPU-Z)
Running this ram at default bios settings at 1333 in dual channel is causing blue screens of death/system lockups.

Tags (1)
23 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Correct bios settings

Hi SAustn2,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your memory upgrade.

I have checked your system and it can take 1333MHz memory so the speed should not be the issue.  The part number you have provided is not a Crucial part number.  Can you please confirm the full Crucial part number from the side of the memory module?

Also this system has four memory slots, can you confirm if you are using the Crucial memory only or do you also have other memory installed in the system?  If you have other memory it would also be good if you could try each memory module one at a time in the system to see if there is any faults with the memory.

If there are any faults then we would be happy to replace the memory for you.  To do this you can contact out customer service team HERE who would be more than happy to arrange an exchange for you.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi Crucial_Junket thank you for replying,

This isn't really an upgrade its the only memory we ever bought for this system. From the memory modules sticker I found part # CT51264BA1339.16FD this is from only one stick I hope they are the same if not I can pull the 2nd stick out and check the number on that one also.

I am using Crucial Memory only in memory sockets DDR3_1 and DDR3_2.

I see on many forums they talk about raising the voltage for the memory but I don't know what's safe and what's not. Also I have 2 text reports from CPU-Z one running @ 1333 Mhz when I was getting the blue screens and the current stable one at 1066 Mhz if those would be of any help, I did notice minor discrepancies between the actual bios dram timings and the spd tab dram timings for 1333. Bios showed 669.6 Mhz 9-9-9-24-33 2T, SPD JEDEC #5 shows 9-9-9-25-34 @ 685 Mhz.

I didn't see any way to include attachments but I could upload them to my Windows Live Skydrive account for viewing if needed.

Thanks Again,
SA.

Kilobyte Kid

I found this Crucial Forum thread doing a search the other day: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Standard-DRAM-Memory/Memory-unstable/td-p/21316. Here's what lordgillynn said about the same ram I have

"As noted above, you will want to verify all voltages. Don't accept that Auto has correctly set your values. Your settings should be 9-9-9-18 1T at 1.5 V. If you look at your BIOS and see that the settings are correct and you still cannot get a stable test (MemTest86+), try changing your command rate to 2T. Here is a link to your memory, for our benefit: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=F26F6169A5CA7304 . Make sure that you have installed the memory in the correct slots and that they are fully seated."

Seems like the person that started the thread had a different motherboard and a Phenom also but more cores. Would you recommend me try the 9-9-9-18 1T @ 1.5 V instead of 9-9-9-24 33 2T that my bios set it at? 

Kilobyte Kid

This sounds like the problem I have except it describes more than one stick on each channel.

AMD Erratum 379

379 DDR3-1333 Configurations with Two DIMMs per Channel May Experience Unreliable Operation

Description
     In systems with more than one DDR3-1333 configurations when only one DIMM per channel is populated.

Potential Effect on System

Memory system failure leading to unpredictable system behavior.

Suggested Workaround

In a configuration where two unbuffered DDR3-1333 DIMMs are populated on one channel, BIOS should derate DDR3-1333 system memory to 533 MHz operation (DDR3-1066) by setting the DRAM Configuration High Register[MemClkFreq] (F2x[1,0]94[2:0]) to 100b and adjusting memory subsystem timing parameters accordingly.

Fix Planned

Yes

Found at: http://www.hardware-infos.com/news.php?news=2739&sprache=1

I know I only have 1 stick in each channel but running the memory at 1066 like the suggested workaround says does make my system stable.

Kilobyte Kid

Is there more info you need to help me solve this issue?

Kilobyte Kid

After reading more about tRAS & tRC Timing at http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/AMD/memory/131/2 "Memory Timings Explained" I've come to the conclusion my bios is setting these 2 settings too low.

Quoted from techpowerup "

• tRAS Timing: Min RAS Active Time. The amount of time between a row being activated by precharge and deactivated. A row cannot be deactivated until tRAS has completed. The lower this is, the faster the performance, but if it is set too low, it can cause data corruption by deactivating the row too soon.

tRAS = tCL + tRCD + tRP (+/- 1) so that it gives everything enough time before closing the bank.

So going by this my old default timings of 9-9-9-24-33 2T the 4th number tRAS (24) was too low. I am now trying 9-9-9-28-37 2T and so far so good I really hope it holds up and I don't get anymore blue screens. I'll keep in touch and post back whether or not these timings fix the issue.

Community Manager

Hi SAustn2,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having issues with this memory.

I can see that changing the timings has made your system more stable which is a good thing.  I would also possibly contact Gigabyte directly to see what the recommend for this issue.  I can see that they advise that your system can take this speed so it should not be an issue.

I have found your motherboard on the Gigabyte website HERE you may want to check with them directly as it's possibly a common issue that they have a solution for.  I'm sorry I could not have been of more help with this one but it's not something that we come across usually and it seems like it's an issue that's motherboard specific.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi Crucial_Junket,

Thanks for getting back with me on this, actually I just opened a support ticket with Gigabyte yesterday before I found out about and tried the new ram timings in my last post. So far it's the beginning of the 2nd day and these new ram timings are still stable no blue screens as of yet. I did get a reply back from Gigabyte asking me if this happens with only 1 stick or 2 installed and if it happens running the ram at 533 MHz or not. I replied to him it was stable with only 1 stick and that it runs fine with 2 sticks at 533 MHz and that I had already lowered it to 533 to be able to use my system. And then I also mentioned to him about the new ram timings I'm trying out to be able to use 1333 MHz. I hope your right that this is common and they do have a solution for this.

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction, I've enjoyed being a part of this forum, sharing experiences and helping out a little if I knew how. I'll still keep in touch and let everyone know if there was a solution from Gigabyte and also if my new timings hold up (crosses my fingers Smiley Very Happy)

May Everyone Find a Solution,
Keep researching and don't give up,
SA 

Kilobyte Kid

Well its 6 days later and the ram timings I found are still stable so I'm closing my case. Gigabyte wasnt much help they wanted me to take out one of the sticks of ram therefore i felt as if i was going backwards in my quest for a solution and i had alreaady tried in that configuration and the system was stable it only became unstable using whatever the Bios read from Crucial Memory and set as default and I don't know why this happens and causes everyone a lot of grief.

My advice to everyone dont rely on anyone else in a forum to fix your ram timings, from my experience this is something you have to do on your own, do your own research to find out what each setting means, especially look into the 4th setting and make sure it equals the first 3 setttings combined (like 9+9+9=27 plus or minus one(26-28) make sure that 4th setting adds up to the first 3 settings and dont rely on the bios to read this correctly mine sure didn't.

Anyway just wanted to report that my new settings are still working correctly no more blue screens and frustrations with this new motherboard and ram. 

I found most of my help doing searches but mostly from ram timings explained at techpowerup which i believe i listed in an earlier post. Good Luck to Everyone trying to upgrade thier ram hopefully you wont have problems like i did.