Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
heinz57

Dell Dimension 5150 on Windows 7 64 bit, 3.25 GB usable memory

Hi,

I have just installed  Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on my Dell Dimension 5150 to make fuill use of the 4 GB RAM,

only to find od out that tMy Computer/Properties ays  4.00 GB (3.25 GB of usable)

It detects the 4 GB also in BIOS successfully, but why doesn't it show 4 GB usable memory then?

Couldn't find any explanation so far and am hoping you guys have come across it. :-0

Rgds,

Heinz

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lordgllynn

Re: Dell Dimension 5150 on Windows 7 64 bit, 3.25 GB usable memory

[ Edited ]
in reply to heinz57

That sounds odd. Usually, only Page File shows the 'usable' amount. Memory is just listed as total available or installed. Are you sure that you're looking at system memory and not virtual memory (Page File)?! Try typing in dxdiag into your Run utility. Then select Yes. Then click the 'Run 64 bit DXDIAG' button at the bottom. In the center of the utility window, you'll see two memory listings. One is RAM, the other is Page File. Will you post those here?

Here is what you should see:

DXDIAG.jpg

Kilobyte Kid
heinz57

in reply to heinz57

The details from dxdiag 64 bit:

Time of this report: 3/24/2010, 20:02:37
       Machine name: OFFICE
   Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.               
       System Model: Dell DM051                  
               BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A06
          Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3326MB RAM
          Page File: 2622MB used, 4027MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows

The screen from My Computer > Properties is called: View basic information about your computer.
Installed memory (RAM):  4.00 GB (3.25 GB of usable)

I might just have fallen prey of one of those small glitches, where everything is effectlively fine, just the figures are wrongly displayed. :-)

And as a reference the screenshot with the od 3.25 GB

http://www.heinzit.co.uk/basicinfo.jpg

BTW: I'm doing my first steps with Windows 7 and still need to learn lots more. Windows 2 was slightly easier to master some centries ago :-)

Bye,

Heinz

Kilobyte Kid
heinz57

in reply to heinz57

Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 2622MB used, 4027MB available

Now I'm getting more confused as even the text-version of DXDiag shows a difference in the memory details between text and graphic version.

http://www.heinzit.co.uk/dxdiag.jpg

I want my old ZX81 back. Memory handling was much easier with just 1 KB of RAM :-)

Heinz

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lordgllynn

in reply to heinz57

Ok, no worries. I was able to duplicate what you're seeing. It appears that you have something running in the background using a lot of memory. When my system starts up, I only have a few basic programs running. I manually disable programs that install and want to start up with Windows, but aren't needed. I re-enabled a few of those and was able to see about 350 MBs more memory being used than before. I use the Performance Monitor to check my system stats as my display reads differently than yours. So, I'm going to guess that your system is perfectly fine, you just have some big resource applications running in the background. You can check this by removing one stick of memory and then rechecking your available amount. If you remove one stick and check, you should have 3 GBs. If your system is indeed running properly, you should see about 2.6 GBs available. If something is wrong, you may see 3 GB. If you see 3 GB, try swapping the memory around, always using about 3 GBs total until all memory has been checked. Or, you can use MemTest86+.

Bit Baby
cdred

in reply to heinz57

The issue is memory allocation to video.  Vista had the same issue.  I ran into that when I installed a video card to my computer only to find out that the system automatically allocates memory to video and never figured out how to bypass.  Didn't need memory for video seeing how I installed a video card with 1gb of ddr3 memory but its a system level function I haven't been able to figure out how to solve.

Our Latest Posts