Different part numbers for same spec?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Different part numbers for same spec?

I have a Toshiba Satellite M30X-129 laptop, and want to add 1GB memory.  The Memory Advisor tool quotes a part number of CT434026.  However, other routes lead to a different part number of CT12864X335 which appears to have the same spec, i.e. 200-pin DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64.  And your price is the same for both part numbers.  Are these in fact the same product?  If not, what's the difference?

The reason for asking is that some resellers are quoting a lower price for the CT12864X335.  I don't mind paying more if there is a good reason, but not if it's the same product. 

10 Replies

Re: Different part numbers for same spec?

Hi Richardj,

The two codes do refer to the same part. The part number with CT followed by six numbers (CT434026) is the part number specific to your machine for referencing purposes on our database, and the other number is our generic part number which actually appears on the label. These parts are therefore fully compatible with your specific system.

Generally the price does not vary between us and resellers however sometimes there can be a small difference as they bulk buy parts in advance.  We currently have the part in stock and please also bear in mind that if you buy directly from us we can offer free technical support and a 30 day money back guarantee should you have any issues.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby

Hi Crucial, would it be the same for my case?? I have a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop, and the suggested 1GB memory by the tool, is CT463562. My relative bought thru Amazon and sent me a CT12864X335 1GB  and said the specs were the same, Should I proceed to install it or ship it back so he can get an exchange? Also, the pictures in both your site and the Amazon site, are not he same with the one I got??

Please help!!

Thank you

I'm not sure why they may appear differently in the pictures but CT463562 is the same as CT12864X335 so as long as the latter number is on the label you have the correct part.  You can go ahead and install this and should not have any issues.  Smiley Happy

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Bit Baby

I know this is an older discussion, but it is relevant...

1. Is part number CT2KIT25664AC667 the same as part number CT700418?

2. Is there a way we can easily compare the differing part numbers before purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Community Manager

Hello,

Yes, these parts are the same.  As far as an easy way to know if they are the same, the best suggestion I can give for this is match the spec. 

Guru, Crucial Moderator, US
Kilobyte Kid

1GB memory stick - is Amazon same as Crucial part #? how to upgrade BIOS?

I checked the Crucial memory configurator for my Dell Dimension 4600C and found the specs matched a 1GB memory stick on Amazon for the Crucial Technology CT12864Z335 1GB 184-Pin PC2700 333Mhz DIMM DDR non-ECC, unbuffered, RAM Memory.  Two questions:

1)  can you tell me whether the Amazon part is high density or low density? Apparently the high density DRAM sticks are NOT compatible with my Dell Dimension desktop. The Crucial configurator recommends a stick with exactly the same spec, but their model # is CT445046. Is that the same product? I want to order a pair of 1GB sticks, but I want to be sure they are compatible.

2) I have an XP Professional OS and it has been continuously upgraded and is Service Pack 3.  Does that mean the BIOS is upgraded?  If not what do I have to do to upgrade the BIOS?

Thanks

Bill

Tags (3)
Mo Betta Heat Spreada

Re: 1GB memory stick - is Amazon same as Crucial part #? how to upgrade BIOS?

Hello bkrepick,

The 1GB modules in the DDR PC2700 are all going to be 16 chip parts.  We have sold thousands of these parts for this machine, and they have worked fine.

Having Windows up to date does not make your BIOS up to date.  To update your BIOS, you will have to check Dell's website for the BIOS download, and instruction for updating.  BIOS updates can be different for each machine.  This is why you will want to get the information directly from Dell.

Dude, Crucial Employee, US
Kilobyte Kid

Re: 1GB memory stick - is Amazon same as Crucial part #? how to upgrade BIOS?

Trying to understand a little more about memory. It appears the longer Crucial PN refers to the chip arrangement on the module. I am having difficulties getting memory to work with different older machines and recently discovered the x4,x8,x16 differences which I dont fully understand yet. These are not specified usually in memory I see for sale and am thinking this info is part of the longer Crucial number. Am I correct?   Thanks Keith

Community Manager

Yes, you are correct to some degree. These revisions you are speaking about are the densities. Many of our modules come in a high or low density revision. These parts are usually not specified on our website or our vendors websites. You may contact us directly (using the information in my signature) and we would be happy to check the density for you. In many systems they are compatible with both densities. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

Want to be a Super User?