Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

Re: M61PME-S2P reading only 800mhz for this model of RAM CT2KIT25664AA1067

in reply to dustyn

Ahh ok, thanks, wasn't sure since all you have was X2 and the speed listed in your first post.

See above, you should be able to set your memory speed without changing the FSB at all, and I just remember that's how AMD is anyway (I'm an intel guy so I always forget AMD info :smileywink:)

Binary Boss
dustyn

[ Edited ]
in reply to lsdmeasasp

Unfortunately, my BIOS looks nothing like that (wish it did). It's from American Megatrends, and I do have a BIOS speed option under the MIT setting, and my maximum manual setting for memory speed is an 800 setting. I'll take a picture with my phone and upload a screen shot in an edit.

http://imgur.com/a/qpTYp

Alright, that's actually out of order, the MIT is the first option in BIOS, followed by that option to go from manual or auto for the RAM clock speed, and my available options. The first screen is in the deeper menu screen for DRAM configuration. 

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

in reply to dustyn

That CPU will not natively support DDR2 1066 memory; period!  Also, your CPU is at the "technological limits" for an AM2 type processor so there is little room for any stable overclocking. Now, as far as I know, only the Phenom CPUs such as X2 7000 series, X3s,or  X4s support DDR2 1066 memory speeds. And, even if you had one of those, there is a good chance that your specific mobo would still downclock the memory due to certain limitations identified in your mobo's CPU support list. BTW, many of those overclocking variables are "locked" on several AM2 processors; however, if you have that "Black Edition CPU", you may be able to play a bit... but no matter how hard you try, I doubt that you will ever get past the native CPU and motherboard limitations.

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Binary Boss
dustyn

in reply to norepli

Yeah, that's logical, and it's too bad a user forum was the most helpful entity I came across especially compared to gigbytes technical support which told me to download the easytune software which is not compatible with my motherboard and if that didn't work to "contact memory vendor". 

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]
in reply to dustyn

dustyn wrote:

Unfortunately, my BIOS looks nothing like that (wish it did). It's from American Megatrends, and I do have a BIOS speed option under the MIT setting, and my maximum manual setting for memory speed is an 800 setting. I'll take a picture with my phone and upload a screen shot in an edit.

http://imgur.com/a/qpTYp

Alright, that's actually out of order, the MIT is the first option in BIOS, followed by that option to go from manual or auto for the RAM clock speed, and my available options. The first screen is in the deeper menu screen for DRAM configuration. 

That is exactly from your BIOS!   I actually work very closely with Gigabyte, so I know their BIOSes inside and out.   It just looks that way in my images because I was using special tools that can edit the BIOSes, just to show you where the options were, what choices you have, and that the ones you want are indeed there, enabled, and selectable.

Maybe it's not there for you  because  you are on an older BIOS?  I looked in the latest BIOS (F7b), please flash update to the latest BIOS using Qflash or DOS

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3262#bios

Or your CPU ony supports 800MHz option as norepli mentioned? 

However, norepli is probably correct about the CPU, I know nothing about it, but I did find some user comments saying they overclocked the CPU and got their memory up to 850 or so, so it is possible to raise it if it's locked at 800

*Edit* Yes, found it, only support 800MHz for the top speed at default HTT/FSB clock speeds.

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

[ Edited ]
in reply to dustyn

Now you have more memory running at a stable speed; yes?  Personally, I'll always opt for additional memory over rated speed... even if it has to be downclocked a bit. Believe me, you won't even notice a real-world difference.

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Binary Boss
dustyn

in reply to lsdmeasasp

Oh, alright. I didn't mean to contradict your findings, lsdmeasap. I jumped to a conclusion since I don't have the option that I really wish I did, ha. I appreciate all of your time with this. Lesson learned with purchasing "inexpensive" motherboards and trying to upgrade very old components (relatively speaking) with newer components. Thanks again, LSDMEASAP!

Binary Boss
dustyn

in reply to norepli

I was running 2 GB at 677MHZ before this upgrade. I do notice a performance increase that's pretty nice despite "wanting to see that high advertised number". =)

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

[ Edited ]
in reply to dustyn

Hello lsdmeasasp,

Maybe someone else got to 850MHz using a different mobo but he won't get past his current mobo's limitations which are primarily based on the AM2 architecture. You need to be above M/T 2000 speed to go beyond 800MHz. Check out the Supported CPU List for more information.

Best regards,

norepli

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

in reply to dustyn

I guess I don't read very well anymore... (image must be approved before it will be visible):

oldman.jpg

Our Latest Posts