Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
miketackle36

Maximum ram capacity for Dell XPS 420?

Hello,

I have recently bought a Dell XPS 420, and it is currently running with 4 gigs of ram.  I would like to get it up to 8 gigs.  I  would like my computer to be as powerful as possible, however I do not know much about the hardware I am using, or in general.  My search on the internet has produced varied results of how much memory I can install.

Here are the specs to my computer, XPS 420, Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9450(2.66GHz 1333FSB) w/ 12MB cache 375W Power Supply

I greatly appreciate any help,

mike

Crucial_Guru

Re: Maximum ram capacity for Dell XPS 420?

in reply to miketackle36

Hello,

The Dell XPS 420 has a maximum memory of 4GB.  Unfortunately, you can not install 8GB of memory into this system.  To be able to support more memory, you would need to purchase a different motherboard.  Please visit the following link for the parts we offer for the XPS 420:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=XPS+420

Guru, Crucial Moderator, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby
nikong33k

in reply to Crucial_Guru

I also have an XPS 420 and want to upgrade to 8GB of system memory. Crucial's web site is saying that all XPS 420s can only be upgraded to 4GB total memory. BUT Dell's manual for the machine indicates that the maximum is 8GB (all usable if you have a 64-bit OS). Link and excerpt from the documentation is below.

Link: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/parts.htm#wp1462641

Click on Memory then scroll down to see the info. This is the first time I have seen disagreement between Dell's documentation and Crucial's info. Now I am confused. :-) What's the truth? Win 7 64-bit runds great on my machine but I want some improvement editing video and the 4GB in it does not appear adequate as far as Adobe Premier Elements 7 goes for a 4 minute video. Hmmm.

Addressing Memory With 8-GB Configurations

Your computer supports a maximum of 8 GB of memory when you use four 2-GB DIMMs. However, the amount of memory available to the operating system is less than 8 GB. This is because certain components within the computer require address space in the 8-GB range; and any address space reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory.

NOTE: 8 GB memory is available only if you ordered an operating system that supports 64 bits. If you ordered a system that supports only 32 bits then the memory available is 4 GB.

Bit Baby
Philjamin

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_Guru

I have a Dell XPS 420 and the Crucial Scan states that I have a 8GB capacity. Can I rely on that or are you are sure? I'm not sure what else to tell you about my system: 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)

3070 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 1024 MB *removed personal information*
Slot 'DIMM_3' has 512 MB  *removed personal information*
Slot 'DIMM_2' has 1024 MB  *removed personal information*
Slot 'DIMM_4' has 512 MB  *removed personal information*

Board: Dell Inc. 0TP406
Serial Number:  *removed personal information*
Bus Clock: 1333 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A03 01/02/2008

According to Findlaptopdriver.com, my Board supports 8GB.

Is my Board different than the guy who started this post?

Hope you are still on this site. lol

Thanks Ben.

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to miketackle36

Hi philjamin,

Thanks for contacting us today. If you have the Dell XPS 420, it will support 8GB of RAM. However, if you are not using a 64 bit operating system you will only be able to utilize around 3 to 3.5GB of RAM. From your post it did sound like you were running a 64 bit operating system. So you would be fine to go to the 8GB of memory and utilize all the speed :smileyhappy: Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Best regards, 

Heather 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Our Latest Posts