Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Memory Leak Geek
KevSuch

Problem with sleep mode after RAM upgrade Satellite A660

Hi, I have just upgraded my Toshiba Satellite A660-18N with the recommended 8Gb ram. The problem is when I bring the laptop out of sleep mode it shuts down. I have updated the BIOS but this has made no difference.If I put the original 4 Gb back in everything is fine. I have fitted the new memory one by one to see if one is faulty but the problem still persists. I have already sent a pair of modules back thinking they were faulty! There seems to be a compatibility problem somewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Kevin

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

Re: Problem with sleep mode after RAM upgrade Satellite A660

[ Edited ]
in reply to KevSuch

Hello Kevin,

Its not the RAM (as you have already found out) and the bios update was a great place to start your troubleshooting; however, more information is needed to unravel this mystery. Specifically, what is your OS and what are the specs on your laptop? It would also be nice to know the specific Crucial kit (part number) you purchased. I would also like you to confirm that it is the sleep function (not hibernate) that is not working correctly. Sleep and Hibernate FAQ.

I'm also very surprised to hear that this is a repeatable condition by swapping the 4GB and 8GB modules but that is a good thing. So, I'll wait for your response before we get into a full blow analysis; however, you might want to try these few simple things (if you haven't already done so):

Unplug any peripherals and retest.

Test sleep functionality with power cord plugged in and also when running on just battery (any difference?).

Review your current power scheme and change if necessary.

*Disable hibernation if never used (shouldn't have any bearing on sleep functionality but I'd do it anyway).

*Check to make sure your swap file is correctly sized to let Windows OS manage it properly (again, this should only have applicability to the hibernation issue but why not check it while you are in the troubleshooting mode?)

*Consider running without a swap file (I have 8GBs of memory on my Win7 laptop and I have been running without a swap file since day one and I have never had a single problem. I also have an XP desktop with 3 GBs of RAM and never a problem there as well. Now, there are many that disagree with this recommendation because they say you will have problems if you exhaust your free available RAM. I have never had this problem).

*The reason I have thrown in the hibernation and swap file information is because some reported fixes (for sleep issues) have included the disabling of hibernation and swap file sizing as part of the fix process... even though they shouldn't have applicability to the sleep functionality.

We await you response...

norepli

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Memory Leak Geek
KevSuch

[ Edited ]
in reply to norepli

Hi norepli,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Operating system is Windows 7 64 bit Quad core i7. Originally came with 4GB ram (2x 2gb) which are fine, replaced with 2x 4 Gb dual kit DDR3-1333 (PC 10600) part no.CT51264BC1339 which are giving me grief!

To confirm it is coming out of sleep mode where I have the problem. On awakening the fans seem to rev up then the laptop shuts down illegally.Have tested on battery  and AC power, made no difference, also unplugged all peripherals. I have reviewed the power management as this was one of the things microsoft suggested, but made no difference.Can you explain about swapfile please? Hibernation is already disabled.

Hope this info helps,

thanks

Kevin

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

[ Edited ]
in reply to KevSuch

Hello Kevin,

You've done a great job so far... now we need to get down to the 'nitty-gritty.'

Let's hold off on explaining, modifying and/or running without a swap file (also known as a paging file) at this point because I don't think that is an issue now because you have confirmed it is the sleep mode that is having problems. Now, based on your detailed response, I think we need to take a good look at your current memory configuration and see how much of it is being used when your laptop goes to sleep. Since you've already tried removing the peripherals, it might be a piece of software, resident in RAM, that might be causing your problem. Please do the following:

Type "task manager" (without quotes) into the search box and then click on "view running processes" at the top of the search result. The window below will open and the Processes Tab will contain information at the bottom. What I need is boxed in red in the image below:

NOTE: THE FORUM ADMIN MUST APPROVE ALL IMAGES BEFORE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THEM.

w7taskmgr.jpg

Once you have that info, close down the task manager and return to the search box.

Next type "resource monitor" (without quotes) and click on Resource Monitor at the top of the search result. Once opened, go to the Memory Tab and, either take a snapshot of it, or write down the readings for everything inside the red box (as shown in the image below). 

w7resmon.jpg

Once you provide that information, we can proceed to the next step.

I await your response...

norepli

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Memory Leak Geek
KevSuch

in reply to norepli

Hi norepli,

Information as requested:

Processes 74

CPU usage 1%

Physical Memory 22%

Hardware Reserved 70MB

In Use 2001  MB

Modified 192 MB

Standby 2140 MB

Free 3782 MB

Avaliable 5915 MB

Cached 2348 MB

Total 8122 MB

Installed 8192 MB

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

in reply to KevSuch

Hi Kevin,

I didn't forget about you but my time has been short today and I must get a few PCs fixed by tomorrow morning. However, I do have time to outline your next steps so hopefully you can take it from there and I'll get back with you in the AM.

You have 74 processes running and many have a residency in RAM. First, unplug your internet connection (if present) and/or disable your wifi service. Next, disable/untick all non-essential startup programs and services (temporarily). Then reboot and put your laptop to sleep. See if it recovers now. Also, if it does not, check your event viewer for any errors that have a time association with your sleep time.

If you don't know how to do the above, it will have to wait to the AM unless someone else wants to help you in my absence.

norepli

Memory Leak Geek
KevSuch

in reply to norepli

Hi norepli,

Thanks for getting back to me as any advice is gratefully received.

I did as you instructed but it still didn't cure it so I went to the event viewer after and this is how it looked

Error 14/03/2012 18:40:07 Kernel-EventTracing 2 Session Error 14/03/2012 18:39:49 Service Control Manager 7000 None Error 14/03/2012 18:39:40 Eventlog 1101 Event processing Critical 14/03/2012 18:39:23 Kernel-Power 41 (63) Error 14/03/2012 18:39:33 EventLog 6008 None

Hope this is what you are looking for,

Kevin

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

[ Edited ]
in reply to KevSuch

Event viewer headers are generally useless without the full log details; however, yours appear to be associated with an unexpected shutdown so there is no need to continue that analysis. So, let me summarize where I think you are right now:

Your PC only fails to wake from sleep when you have both of the new 2x4GB modules installed.

You have tested each new 4GB module individually (eg, one at a time) and the sleep functionality works fine.

Yes?

You have also confirmed that this is a repeatable scenario by reinstalling the original RAM to prove the sleep mode functionality starts to work properly again and then only breaks when the two new memory sticks are reinstalled in a paired configuration.  

Also, based on your last reported test results, I'm strongly leaning towards a power issue so you might want to review this very thorough step-by-step troubleshooting thread here.

Memory Leak Geek
KevSuch

in reply to KevSuch
hi norepli,
There seems to be some confusion here as if you check my original post you will see that I stated that the problem still existed, even if I fitted the new memory individually or as a pair.
After digging around the internet last night I found that this problem is not uncommon and a lot of times the power kernel is mentioned , but as yet no one seems to have a definate fix?
Any ideas?
Kevin

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

[ Edited ]
in reply to KevSuch

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for clearing that up. Now, when I reread your original post, you did imply that both of the new sticks did fail when tested individually. So, I wasted a little time and effort (on your part as well) because I didn't get it the first time. Sorry about that! Anyway, things are now simplified and the problem is a compatibility issue between your new RAM and your mobo (duh?). Prior to this, I was concentrating more on an 8GB installation as opposed to a 4GB installation.

In summary, the compatibility issue is (most likely) going to boil down to a RAM voltage issue. Looking ahead, you may have to up your RAM voltage by a small amount to sustain the two modules during sleep; however, before we look into that, it would be a great benefit for me to know the specific part number of the original RAM. So, give me that info and I think we can get to the bottom of this very quickly.

norepli

Our Latest Posts