Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
mikebilak
Accepted Solution

Quick Question about Dell Inspiron 570 memory

There were several memory upgrades listed for the Inspiron 570.  I was just curious why the recommended upgrade was the CT1165249 with a CL9 instead of the CT2525675 with a CL7.  Both are DDR3 PC3-10666 2 x 2GB upgrades.  Why does it recommend the slower CL speed??

Thank you.

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

Re: Quick Question about Dell Inspiron 570 memory

in reply to mikebilak

It could be due to the CAS 7 being more expensive, and really an overclocking part (Which you can't overclock on Dell).   And it very well could be due to Dell's BIOS, it may be locked into using CAS 9 anyway, so they may have set it like that so users don't get upset if they buy CAS 7 memory and end up only being able to use CAS 9.

It should work though, as it's listed compatible, it just may not run at the specified rated speed or timings.  And it could also require you updating the BIOS to use it, which may be another reason they don't suggest it up front, but I suspect it's because it wont run those timings or maybe that speed.

Dell BIOS will auto set JEDEC timings and speeds, so I assume it will run both modules at CAS 9 - 1333Mhz, or slower speed depending on your BIOS and or possibly the current memory speed.  What's your memory running at now?  The speed on dells is usually locked into the locked CPU frequency, so if it's running 1066 now then it's not likely to run any higher speed with faster memory installed, since it's a locked BIOS.

Binary Boss
mikebilak

[ Edited ]
in reply to lsdmeasasp

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I currently have ***Edit to remove Crucial competitor*** that I threw into the system when I got it at a yard sale the other day.  I runs okay but I periodically get BSOD errors.  When I run Memtest it runs about 15 minutes before it start throwing errors.  I went into the BIOS, but as you said since it's a Dell, nothing is adjustable.  The timing according to CPU-Z is 7-7-7-24 at 1.5v.  But the DDR3 itself is labled 1.65v.   I was just curious if, beside the price, why the CL9 was recommended over the CL7.   

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to mikebilak

I see that model at newegg and their site, and it shows as 1333Mhz at 1.65V, so maybe the stick you have isn't programmed right?   Does it show the 1.5V in the SPD tab of CPU-z, under the 1333Mhz profile with 777-24 timings? 

What speed and timings does CPU-z show currently in the Memory tab (not SPD tab)?  If it's 1333Mhz, well 667 for CPU-z, and 777-x timings, then you can probably use the CAS 7 part you initially asked about and it should run the same as what you are using now, if your current stick is actually running 1333 @ CAS 7

It's still hard to guess what your BIOS will do with a overclocked / overclockable part like the more expensive one you mentioned, unless the current one is already running the same speed and timings.   Otherwise you wont know until you can try it out, or another similar stick, and see what the BIOS sets it as.  You could also google around that motherboard model and faster memory, like 1600Mhz, and see what users are saying it gets down-clocked to in the BIOS.

Binary Boss
mikebilak

in reply to lsdmeasasp

I apologize for taking so long in getting back.  Too many irons in the fire right now.

Anyway in SPD it shows max bandwidth of 533.  There is no 1333Mhz listed. JDEC #3 shows 533Mhz 7-7-7-16-27 @ 1.5V .  That's the same information that is showing up in the memory tab of  CPU-Z.  

Sorry about the above typo where i said it was 7-7-7-24.

Anyway, I ordered the Crucial 9 CL 2 X 2 GB kit to see if that resolves the System Crashes.  As I said the system freezes during MemTest right around 15 minutes.  I just get a steady beep and have to literally unplug the machine to reboot it.  The reason I put in  the "unmentionable memory"  was that the system came without  memory or CPU when I got it.  I originally tried 2 X 2 GB of PC3 8500 CL 7 @ 1.6v but the system wouldn't even boot past BIOS.

But for $35.00 at a yard sale for the case, motherboard, Windows 7 Home Premium DELL Disk and a Geforce GT 240 DDR5 card, I'm not going to complain about $30.00 for some memory.  I thought that since I had this other on hand, I would see if it would work.  I did have to put out $37.00 for an older AMD Phenom II x2 CPU.

Thanks again for your input. 

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to mikebilak

No worries about the later reply, I'm often busy myself and get behind on replying, so I know what you mean!

Can you please post a pic of the SPD tab for me, I believe you, just want to see what all is there.   They may not be programmed for anything other than JEDEC specifications since they are budget, so that may be why the voltage isn't showing at 1.65V in CPU-z SPD.  Also, it would show up as 667Mhz in the frequency section of the SPD tab for 1333Mhz

Are you using this memtest86+ 4.20?  Anyway, no matter what you are testing with, it does sound bad if it's failing or freezing after only 15 minutes

Memtest86+

Nice deal you got on the system!!   Let us know how the new memory works once it arrives, and good luck!   Be sure to update the BIOS before you try it out, incase the latest BIOS is needed.

Binary Boss
mikebilak

in reply to lsdmeasasp

Here is an image I saved earlier.

I finally downloaded the Manual for this system from Dell.  The the  memory is supposed to be loaded in slots 3 & 4 first and then into slots 1 & 2 as you upgrade.   So I will give that a try shortly.  Not sure if that will give me a different  CPU-Z picture or not.

cpu-z.png

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to mikebilak

Thanks, it does look odd since it should be 1.65v, but maybe they changed the spec or I looked at the wrong one at Newegg (not sure, since the mods removed your initial info with the model #, unless it's the same as shown in your CP-z image, doesn't look like it from looking in my history)

Check with this, open it and click the SPD button, and see if there are any additional profiles showing

http://www.tweakers.fr/memset.html

On your memory slots, be sure you read the guide correctly and look at the board the right way.   I mean, sometimes slots are mentioned in manuals as 1 and 2, but physically they may be 1+3 on the motherboard from the CPU outwards.   Anyway, they should also be labeled on the PCB of the board so you can tell what's what.   If you aren't sure let me know and I'll grab your manual and help you verify

Binary Boss
mikebilak

in reply to lsdmeasasp

I understand about Dell, I'm was just overconfident on the 570 because it had 2 blue DIMM slots and 2 black DIMM slots.  the 2 two blue slots were closest to the CPU so that's where I stuck the memory.  I'm running MemTest+86 4.20 now on the 570.  The first module ran a little over 7 minutes and start throwing errors.  Once the error count got to 200,000 I stopped it.  The 2nd module has been running for about 1.5 hours now and nothing yet.  I did place the ram in DIMM slot 4 as stated in the Dell Manual. 

The ram itself is labeled PC3-10666 7-7-7 @ 1.65v (I won't list the P/N again).  You have the same spec's that I have. I will run your suggested software after Memtest has run a little bit longer.

Thanks again for your input.

dell2.PNG

dell1.PNG

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

in reply to mikebilak

Hello Mikebilak,

I have read a few of your previous posts and you seem to be very knowledgable; however, I must ask why you are concentrating your efforts on trying to figure out the voltage requirements of the yard sale RAM vs. the voltage requirements for your Inspiron 570. Moreover, I see that you have already run memtest and at least one of the yard sale modules has failed, so what's the point in continuing?

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Our Latest Posts