RAM upgrade for Asus M4A78LT-M LE

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

RAM upgrade for Asus M4A78LT-M LE

Hi - hoping someone can help.

I have today received my order of 2 x 4GB sticks of DDR3 RAM - part number CT51264BA160B.

I built this system myself from scratch.

I'm installing these into an ASUS M4A78LT-M LE motherboard, having used the Crucial memory suggestion app to do so.

I find that the pc will not boot at all, and simply get a clicking noise from the optical drive. 

I have quadruple-checked that the RAM is seated correctly, and have tried each stick individually in each slot, but to no avail.

The moment I put the old memory back (2 x 2GB Corsair), everything works fine.  This is not a problem with the mobo as I am typing this message right now using the PC with the old RAM reinstalled.

Can anyone help at all?  I'd really rather not be forced to return this to Crucial and try again with a different supplier.

Thanks in advance

J

6 Replies
Community Manager

Re: RAM upgrade for Asus M4A78LT-M LE

Hi Biscuits,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your memory upgrade.

It's very strange for one memory module to be faulty never mind two modules.  When installing new memory in the system it can take up to 30lbs of pressure to install.  I know you have checked it a number of times but I would try it again just to make sure.

I would also recommend trying one new module next to one old module.  If this boot's it's possibly an issue with the memory speed.

Do you know if you have the most up to date BIOS in the system?

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hiya - thanks for the quick reply.

The RAM was guaranteed to work via the app provided by Crucial, so I'm puzzled by all this - I don't think the sticks are faulty, but all indicators seem to be saying that they simply aren't compatible.

The only possible lead I've read on the M4A78LT-M LE motherboard was (as you say) about a BIOS update, and also about memory clock mode.

This is set to auto by default, but I read that changing this might work, but I don't know what to.

I will try the BIOS update tonight, but in the absence of this working, could you advise on any possible fixes?  Or will I simply need to return these?

Thanks

Kilobyte Kid

Hi - good news... BIOS update worked.

If anyone else has this problem, I downloaded v801 of the BIOS as a ROM file from the Asus website, then used their updater utility to install the update.

Thanks to Crucial_Junket -  RAM running smoothly, satisfied customer!

For anyone in the same boat:

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A78LTM_LE/#download

Select your Operating System first, then download 

ASUS Update V7.18.03 for Windows XP 32bit/XP 64bit/Vista 32bit/Vista 64bit/7 32bit/7

from the "Utilities" section.

Then download the latest BIOS (v801 at the time of writing this) from the BIOS section, labelled as 

M4A78LT-M LE 0801 BIOS

Unzip both files to your desktop, install the Updater, and then when prompted point it to the location of the BIOS ROM file (which should be your desktop if you've unpacked it there).  It'll take you through the rest.  Do a restart before installing new hardware.

Worked for me anyway Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Hi Biscuits,

I'm happy to hear that you got this issue resolved and thank you for posting how you resolved it as I'm sure this will help other users in the future.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Hi Guys

I am having the same problem but the thing is it still does'nt work after updating BIOS. any other ideas?? my problem is that my motherboard wont recognize my new 4GB ram stick. Please Help!

DIMMented

Before anyone can assist you we need you to confirm your motherboard is:  Asus M4A78LT-M LE.     Also we need to know the Crucial part number of the memory.  Did you purchase one stick or two?

If you are using 32bit version of Windows, then you won't be able to use more than 3GB.

Does your BIOS recognize the memory correctly?  If not, what does it show?

Make sure to use Auto settings for your memory in the BIOS.  Also disable any overclocking if enabled (set to Auto as well).   Then reboot and re-enter the BIOS again to check on the memory.