price..im sure is asked about alot

Bit Baby

price..im sure is asked about alot

Hello,

I am looking to purchase 8gb ram for my laptop, 

last year i was about to buy some for 50 quid, last week it was 86 and now it's 79.

Why is the price fluctuating so much? am i better off waiting for the price to drop?

cheers

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: price..im sure is asked about alot

Hello captain_tdog,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I'm pleased to hear that you are interested in purchasing Crucial products.

Being as we (Micron) manufacture our own RAM and Flash memory, our prices are dictated by the spot market. This pricing can typically be influenced by market behavior and responses to economic factors, largely supply and demand.  As such, our pricing is subject to daily review and whilst it may not change every day, frequent price fluctuations can be seen.

Our products are sold by various resellers and at times they may be cheaper than our prices. I'm afraid we are unable to price-match other suppliers or resellers of our products, who may buy in bulk with corresponding discounts, at times when prices are competitive and whose pricing structure operates differently from ours.

That being said, regardless of where you purchase from, we honor the warranty of the product directly with us at Crucial.com. We also offer free technical support to all customers, including installation instructions, troubleshooting etc.

I hope this helps explain things and if I can be of further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Crucial_NG, Crucial Moderator, UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
SODIMM Sherpa

Re: price..im sure is asked about alot

captain_tdog,

Memory prices have risen sigificantly in the past year as you've noticed.  A lot of it has to do with the demand for  production of memory for SSDs and other mobile devices.    There are limited number of foundries which can only produce so much at a time.  Once they are at maximum, then the tech companies have to decide if it is worth building another foundry and that takes a while to build & test.  I've heard that hopefully memory prices will begin to fall later this year, but only time will tell.   FYI,  years ago I saw memory prices fluctuate significantly almost day to day.