Binary Boss
Crucial_404

Speed!

Memory can make a computer run a lot faster. Anything else?  This forum is all about speed. Post your ideas and tricks to a faster, more responsive computer here.

Kilobyte Kid
matthewsheeran

Re: Speed!

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_404

WinPatrol and disable all of the boot-time autorun **bleep**... (except for intel graphics persistemce which is needed)

as you work it out you can enable or disable at will e.g.: Way to go! Improves performance both boot-time and in general and saves RAM.  (BTW: WinPatrol(.com) remembers whatever you have blocked (Adobe and Apple **bleep** especially) and re-applies the disabling whenever you upgrade the software (Adobe Acrobat and iTunes/Quicktime especaially).)  Most things are safe (stay away from Microsoft ones Winlogon Shell!) and in case you disable something that does automatic updating to keep a program safe then install, use and autostart SecuniaPSI for real vulnerability patch security!

WinPatrol 'Display Startup Info...'.png

Kilobyte Kid
matthewsheeran

in reply to matthewsheeran

BOTH are MUST HAVES that will keep your system running FAST and SAFE!!

Binary Boss
SAustn2

in reply to Crucial_404

I use "The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion" by Koroush Ghazi, it really helped my computer run smoother, start up faster and shutdown faster. It also helped me learn a lot more about how computers work. It's a free PDF download he also has an illustrated one which isn't too expensive. His website also has guides for different games,tweaking Firefox,installing video cards and drivers, etc... . The system guide took me about 2 or 3 days to finish but it really improved my PC's performance.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to SAustn2

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/ to help you turn off services you don't need.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

Autoruns for Windows v11.1

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

Here's another program for your consideration; however, I am recommending this program for ADVANCED USERS ONLY!

IMHO, this is the most comprehensive "startup evaluator" available today... and its free!

autoruns_image.jpg

Download Autoruns for Windows v11.1

Please make sure you read the introduction thoroughly and also any related documentation to gain a full understanding of how this utility really works. You might also want to take a peek at their forum for some tips as well.

Here's an example of what I was able to disable on my bare-bones laptop that I just use for testing:

(Note that I have removed registry and program paths to make the image more readable)

My_Autoruns_Disabled.jpg

Color Legend for the above:

YELLOW - Programs

GREEN - Gadgets

TURQUOISE - Shell Extensions

BLUISH GREY - Drivers*

*Windows loads a bunch of generic drivers that may/may not have applicability to your hardware so what you see disabled on my laptop are drivers that are not needed because I don't have the necessary hardware. Also, note that I have disabled a few INTEL and NVIDIA drivers and that is because I have an AMD processor, motherboard, and (internal) graphics chip.

Again, I will caution that this program is for ADVANCED USERS ONLY; however, I found it helpful in stabilizing my startup times and even shaving a few seconds off as well.

Enjoy but be careful!

norepli

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Autoruns for Windows v11.1

in reply to norepli

Autoruns is the one I use too. :smileyhappy: The aforementioned WinPatrols looks similar but I've never tried it so dunno which, if either ie better.

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

Re: Autoruns for Windows v11.1

in reply to targetbsp

I've tried the free WinPatrolToGo (portable version); however, I think you would have to buy the "plus" version to even come close to what Autoruns has to offer (notice the PLUS and PLUS REQUIRED tabs are optional).

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Bit Baby
scorr

in reply to Crucial_404

My computer is 8 years old. It chugs along, even with 4G internet. Is it better to upgrade the memory or just get a new computer?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to scorr

We'd need the model and/or specification of your current computer and what you use it for really to be able to answer that. :smileyhappy: