Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

Re: SSD cache kills your PC - BSOD problems

in reply to bertie2

Nice to see you found a controller that works!   Does it have it's own AHCI driver?  Do you have to use it, or can you also use MSAHCI default AHCI driver instead?   If you can use the default one, you should benchmark with both to see which is faster at sequestial speeds and 4K / 4K threaded speeds

Binary Boss
bertie2

in reply to lsdmeasasp

I think I have installed the latest AHCI driver from Silicon Image. No sign of an MS driver.

Still working well so will leave well alone.

Nick R

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to bertie2

Well if you installed one then, and it was required to use the controller, then ya it wouldn't be the MSAHCI one.

But, if you can uninstall the driver you installed, and it still works, it would be the MSAHCI one probably.  You can verify what driver is in use with AS SSD, download is at the very bottom of the page

http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9

Kilobyte Kid
Whizzo

in reply to lsdmeasasp

I was having similar problems to the thread starter when I installed my Adrenaline, Windows partition disappearing completely after the first reboot with Dataplex running and having to try and get the Dataplex cache deleted before I could get it back up and running.

My problem turned out to be down to how I've changed operating systems on the same PC over the years, my system partition was on my old XP partition rather than the Windows 7 one I was actually using and with two near identical Samsung hard drives I didn't realise the Dataplex software was actually caching the wrong one!

Disabling the XP drive from the boot order allowed me to then use my Windows 7 disc to do a boot repair, which made my Windows 7 drive the system and booting partitions and after that Dataplex installed, cached the correct drive this time and it's been working rather nicely.

So if any other multi-os users have similar issue, fire up your PC's disc management and make sure the Windows 7 partition you're going to cache is your system partition and it's active before your install the software, just to be on the safe side.

Kilobyte Kid
spyro

Crashed my system, too :(

[ Edited ]
in reply to bailey-t3

After 2 or 3 reboots and 2 days my system crashed. It took 10 Minutes to boot and delivered a BSOD because "the verification of a known DLL failed". Chkdsk found several errors but the system didn't come up again, even with Dataplex disabled an startup repair.

It was a NVidia RAID-0, so I think that Dataplex screwed it up by writing directly to one of the HDDs. Why does Dataplex set it's virtual driver BEFORE the RAID-Driver?! And if RAID wasn't supported at all, why is there no message about that? Dataplex status was normal ("enabled!!!")

BTW: The DRM within the driver (!) sucks. I could'nt believe that I have to enter my personal data and mail-adress to download a storage driver which will deactivate itself on hardware changes. You can't be serious with that! 

I am very disappointed. I waited extra for the crucial product because of bad experiences with ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor*** and now this. :smileysad:

spyro

Kilobyte Kid
cdrsteve

in reply to Whizzo

Great tip.  I believe this was at the heart of a recent problem I had with the SSC also.  I ended up doing a complete system reinstall after reformatting boot drive which is something my system REALLY needed since it too started off as dual boot XP/7 system!

Kilobyte Kid
jdftwth99

Re: SSD cache kills your PC

in reply to bailey-t3

Hi,

Had similar problem except it didn't kill the pc (although I almost used mine as a boat anchor after this latest adventure with the dataplex product) instead after sucessfully installing the dataplex software and rebooting, I left the system running for a couple of hours and then went through a graceful shutdown, later that day I turned system on and went to get a cup of coffee. I got back to my desk and the pc was just sitting there, with a blank screen and no activity. Tried rebooting again and same problem. Loaded up the Windows 7 recovery cd and it churrned around and then announced that it could not find any windows 7 installation. Went to command prompt mode and tried to do a simple dir command, the reponse was that the disk format was RAW, not fat, fat16, fat32 or ntfs, just plain RAW.

I deleted the existing partition and restored my previous backup, got back up running and poked around on the web to see if any other issues like this had been reported. Didn't see any and chalked the problem up to the fact that my system was new. The old one had gone up in smoke literally so i have replaced the mobo and cpu.

Figured that since it may have been a one time occurance i would try the dataplex cache install again, so i went through the install, reboot, run for a while, shutdown, reboot and the same thing happened again! My system drive was gone.

I bought another small hard drive and restored my backup to it and ran for a few days and then this morning I tried to install the dataplex cache software again and now i have this message when I try to install:

"No qualified Cache SSD detected" and a suggestion that i call Crucial for support.

I am at a loss, anyone have any reasonable suggestions?

Thanks

JD

Kilobyte Kid
wooster

[ Edited ]
in reply to jdftwth99

Installed Adrenaline on my system yesterday and it has utterly detroyed it within 24 hours...this is on a system that hasn't given me a single BSOD in over two years.

To repair the system (post: inaccessible device message) I had to remove all other drives except the Adrenaline and Boot drive.

I recieved the 'Incorrect Shutdown Detected" message and was prompted to hit any key to continue, or D to disable caching.

It would not accept any keystrokes and the countdown timer was stuck on 10.

Rebooted and spammd the D key after POST **Success** managed to diasble it.

Waited for it to dump its files (or whatever it does) and rebooted (bearing in mind it still isn't accepting keystrokes).

Disconnected the Adrenaline drive and rebooted to find more issues (just a flashing cursor instead of Windows booting)

Inserted Win 7 disk, booted off it and used the Recovery console to Fixboot, Fixmbr and a RebuildBD for good measure.

First boot found massive file corruption on the drive and took around half an hour repairing them.

**Success** I can boot into Windows again.

Being a complete **bleep** at this point, I decided I'd give the Adrenaline drive another shot (this time installing it and the software with only a single drive installed).

It worked for about an hour after hooking up the other drives a couple of reboots down the line.

First inkling something was wrong was when executables started falling over like dominos and I was forced to reboot again.

This time the sytem reported that system files needed to be checked, and again there was masses of file corruption.

Got called out to work for a couple of hours, so after watching the system cycle through the file check/repair a few times, I decided to leave it to it and see how it had got on when I got back.

It was still cycling through the same old routine.

Presently I'm typing this up on a system that is a probably irrecoverable (managed to get Firefox to load, Opera won't), so I'm going to have to reinstall everything again from scratch, box up the Adrenaline drive and ask for a refund.

System:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

i5-750

8GB RAM

ASUS P7P55D

2 X SAMSUNG_HD321KJ (one of which is the boot drive)

1 X SAMSUNG_HD103UJ

p.s. I'd actually purchased the Adrenaline to install on the 1TB drive which holds games and programs not my boot drive.

When I found out that there was no option available except installing it on the boot drive I was extremely reluctant to continue since I had a nagging suspicion it would end badly.

I should have listened to my hunch.

Kilobyte Kid
CurtJones

[ Edited ]
in reply to wooster

I had similar problems.  Installed last evening on a very stable win7 pro system and it trashed the boot drive. Now trying to figure out how to recover.  Hoping I do not have to rebuild the entire system.

WIN7 Pro

ASUS M4A79 MB

8GB Memory

AMD processor

Note that I do have multiple drives in the system plus two SATA DVD drives. Other input seemed to indicate this was a problem.

Have email out to both Crucial and Dataplex.  No reply as yet.

Memory Leak Geek
Dave_NVELO

in reply to CurtJones

Hi Curt, If you see the option to DISABLE Dataplex at bootup, press 'D' to disable Dataplex and then try to boot to windows.

Thanks,
Dave / NVELO Representative (developers of Dataplex)
Our Latest Posts