Why did my SSD "disappear" from my system?

by Moderator Moderator on ‎09-28-2011 11:39 AM - edited on ‎11-15-2013 03:44 PM by Moderator Moderator

A sudden power loss is most common cause for a system to fail to recognize an SSD.  In most cases, your SSD can be returned to normal operating condition by completing a power cycle, a process that will take approximately one hour.

We recommend you perform this procedure on a desktop computer because it allows you to only connect the SATA power connection, which improves the odds of the power cycle being successful. However, a USB enclosure with an external power source will also work. Apple and Windows desktop users follow the same steps.

1.      Once you have the drive connected and sitting idle, simply power on the computer and wait for 20 minutes. We recommend that you don't use the computer during this process.

2.      Power the computer down and disconnect the drive from the power connector for 30 seconds.

3.      Reconnect the drive, and repeat steps 1 and 2 one more time.

4.      Reconnect the drive normally, and boot the computer to your operating system.

5.      If the latest firmware has not been updated to your drive, do so.  You can find our firmware update page here.

A laptop computer will also work, but you’ll have to connect the drive and navigate to the system's BIOS menu. (Please refer to your system manufacturer’s documentation on how to access the BIOS.) Allowing the drive to sit in the BIOS will improve the odds that the power cycle will work. For laptops, we don’t recommended using a USB enclosure powered via USB. In addition, Apple users must hold the Option key while they power on the system (with the SSD installed). This will boot the Mac to the Startup Manager screen. The Startup Manager screen works like the BIOS screen on a laptop, in that it gives the drive power without any data throughput.

1. Laptop users will need to be in the BIOS menu, or Mac Startup Manager as stated above. The computer will need to stay powered for 20 minutes. We recommend you don’t use the laptop during this process.

2.  Power the computer down and disconnect the drive for 30 seconds, by removing it from the drive bay. If you have an mSATA drive, remove it from the port.

3. Reconnect the drive, and repeat steps 1 and 2 one more time.

4. Reconnect the drive normally, and boot the computer to your operating system.

5. If the latest firmware is has not been updated to your drive, do so.  Click here  for our firmware updates.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for more information on Crucial SSDs?  Learn more here!

Looking for Customer Service? Contact Crucial Support for your region.

Comments
by hzu44 on ‎01-05-2012 03:01 AM

nice recommendation - BUT i would return such a drive: You can't reliably use it in a server i you newer know if that could happen again

by poppy211 on ‎05-08-2012 10:21 PM

i had this happen i did the 20mins 2 times the sdd was bricked this does not work at least for me m4 512gb my drive just died

and will not come back to life

by ShinySteelRobot ‎05-20-2012 10:27 AM - edited ‎05-20-2012 10:30 AM

My 512GB m4 SSD was disconnecting once an hour and it turned out to be a bug in the early m4 firmware. A firmware update fixed it. Too bad it was the last thing I tried. IMHO, if you have an m4 SSD that's about 4-5 months old that disconnects a lot, try the firmware update first.

Note there is a bug in the 000F m4 firmware that causes constant beachballs on Macs. If you have a Mac, then use firmware 0309 or else whatever is released after 000F.

by DeathPunk38 on ‎08-24-2012 04:11 PM

For my M4 on 0309 {000F is lower performance} it's don't resolved this issue.

only 1300 hours...

by mib8888 on ‎01-09-2013 07:56 PM

The suggested fix did not work for my M4 512GB, firmware 000F, it remains bricked after less than 200 hours of use. Very annoying - I'm on a business trip with my laptop right now and have no way to replace the drive and install it from scratch until I return.

Any more suggestions to things I might  try?

Also, I'm interested why the proposed procedure should do anything in the first place. Is there some magic in the drive logic that attempts a repair when its powered on but not accessed for 20 minutes?

by bolender on ‎01-15-2013 09:00 AM

I have 6 ssds on 6 machines. This happened on two of them in one week.  This fix worked for me.  I'm updating the firmware in all my pcs... 

by kinhow on ‎01-19-2013 11:37 AM

I installed my M4 yesterday. I restarted my desktop a few times because of installation processes, and turned it off when I wasn't home.

Today when I restarted it after installing sound driver it said I had to choose a proper Boot device. For some reason my M4 is not being recognized.

I tried this solution but it didnt work for me... I don't know if I did right, because this is the only SSD with windows installed, my other HDD500GB is acting as a secondary... So I left it on the "select proper Boot device" for the 20 minutes, is that right?

by Moderator Moderator on ‎01-29-2013 10:53 AM

kinhow,

The boot device selection screen works just as well as booting into BIOS, so yes, leaving your computer on that screen should have worked.

If you did that twice for 20 minutes, and disconnected the SSD for at least 30 seconds after each 20 minute strech, and the SSD still is not recognized, I would recommend that you contact Customer Service for your region, for more indepth troubleshooting.

by shimrod on ‎02-10-2013 11:46 AM

My 64G M4 disappeared last week. I've gone through several power cycles with disconnections, it is still not seen by my BIOS. However, when I purchased it I got the kit with USB connector and transfer software. I installed a new SSD, loaded W7, then connected the M4 via USB cable. The EZGIG software can see my drive (asked me to format it, I declined for now). It appears the drive is functional via USB  I reconnected the drive to a known good SATA connector and power cable, the BIOS is still not seeing the drive. I would really like to get this thing working in order to get my configured OS and programs back and save the headache of configuring a new system.

What else do you recommend to get the drive working again?

by Moderator Moderator on ‎02-11-2013 12:30 PM

If your computer sees the drive when you connect it with the SATA-to-USB cable, then this power cycle process may not change the situation you have with your SSD. I would suggest that you contact Technical Support for your region at this point. They can assist you with further troubleshooting, and if necessary they would also be able to help with an RMA.

by SoCalUser on ‎08-03-2013 04:29 PM

I have used a 60 Gb Crucial M4 as my boot drive in one PC for about a year, and I had never encountered the problem described above until a couple of days ago when a driver barfed, and I had to shutdown my PC.  After this occurred, the Crucial SSD would disappear about 5-15 minutes after startup.  If you restart your PC, the drive still won't reappear - the PC has to be cold-booted (powered down and restarted) for the drive to appear.  I tried the power on/off procedure above several times, but it resolved nothing.  Fortunately, I just downloaded the Rev H software and updated the firmware.  After a few reboots, the problem appears to be resolved.  Hooray!  Good luck to those of you who still have the problem.

by RealFrank on ‎01-08-2014 07:14 PM

This was the main drive in my laptop, and I was so freaked out it disappeared!  I was using my laptop when the whole thing hard locked in Windows 7.  I poked at it a bit, but eventually had to hold down the power button to force it off.  Then on the reboot, the BIOS complained there was no hard drive!

I forget how I found this page, but I have a Thermaltake BlacX5G USB3 to SATA adapter, which has AC power, so I used that to power the drive (leaving the USB completely unplugged).  And for the 30 seconds unplugged, I removed it completely from the adapter.

After the second 20 minutes, I pulled the drive, waited 30 seconds, then plugged the drive back in and plugged the USB into another computer, hoping it would mount at that point, but it never did.  I was crestfallen, but I put the SSD back into the laptop, thinking I'd follow the instructions regarding waiting in the BIOS, but when I turned on the laptop, it found the drive, and boot back into Windows!!!

I immediately backed up the important files, and am now looking into determining the firmware (and presumably updating it to the latest).

by Moderator Moderator on ‎01-09-2014 08:43 AM

I'm sorry you ran into issues with your SSD, but I'm happy to hear the power cycle process worked and that you're back up and running now.

If you are interested, we have another article that has directions on how to determine your firmware version, and the latest firmware can be found here.

by Trelokor on ‎01-31-2014 06:36 AM

Hope this will help anyone.

I run into the same issue and even serveral times having the computer idle for about 20 minutes and than disconnecting the power did not help. Usually I did get a blue screen after just a few minutes.

Using a Crucial M4 120GB on a Gigabyte MB (Exact model currently not at hand) and had the SSD on SATA channel 0, DVD drive on SATA channel 1 and another HD on channel 4.

All issues seem to have been gone since I changed the DVD drive to channel 2.

by jpntw on ‎02-08-2014 07:38 PM

Firmware 07MH doesn't work.  My laptop ASUS B121 still hung every once a while and

the  BIOS cannot detect it after suspension.  I call custom service here in Taiwan but no one

answer the phone.  The agency said it is not their business and tell me to go to Asus.

by Moderator Moderator on ‎02-10-2014 09:20 AM

Hello jpntw,

I am sorry to hear that you're having issues with your SSD.

We do not have a customer service center located in Taiwan, but you are welcome to contact our US Customer Service. They will be happy to assist with troubleshooting, and if you need to do an RMA, they would handle that for you as well. Be sure to let them know what troubleshooting steps you have already taken on your own, to make it easier for them to assist you. :smileyhappy:

by xneox on ‎04-29-2014 03:09 AM

Tryed it didn't work. 

I'm trying to reach support for 3 hours. 

I'm about to go balistic ! 

by Lanjan on ‎05-29-2014 08:48 AM

C300-128GB

Worked for me! Did the cycle three times.

Thanks a lot

by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎05-29-2014 10:08 AM

Hi Lanjan,

I am glad that your issue has been fixed! Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

by tchase on ‎06-23-2014 12:42 PM

Same problem as everyone else…. M4 worked great for 18 months and then gave up the ghost. I took it out of my Dell E6230 and hooked the drive up to the Crucial USB transfer cable I used to copy my hard drive to the SSD during initial installation. I then plugged the USB end into a standard USB (phone) charger.  I did two cycles of the power on for 20 minutes and power off for 30 seconds (or so) by disconnecting the USB charger and then put the SSD back into the Dell and it worked good as new.  I have also modified the power plan for the Windows 8 system to keep power to the drive at all times. Check back with me in another 18 months…

by JSanderbeck on ‎09-29-2014 03:30 PM

I just recently swapped out my M4 for a new MX100. I shut down the system, unplugged the M4, installed the MX100 and installed Windows 8.1, then plugged in the M4 to get my data off it. Nothing.  System wouldn't recognize it. I have tried everything and the REALLY frustrating part is that I unplugged the drive EXACTLY 3 years to the day of purchase (September 27th, 2011). They won't cover the three year warranty even though I tried to submit an RMA on Saturday the 27th. Arghhhh !!!

John