Memory Leak Geek
RR4711

Re: 0x00000f4 error on M4 64GB

targetbsp wrote:
If, for instance, the issue can't be reproduced by reprogramming a drives smart info to 5200 hours (assuming the issue is related to that) it might take them a long while to run a drive that long if they haven't already been running some 24/7!  I only run mine 16/7 myself.

The issue seems not to be happen only after the 5200 hours, but also effects drives that were almost new like mine.

I see the point that it will be easier to reproduce with the drives that already made the 5200 hours, but it could be that we have 2 bugs showing in the same result (blue screen because drive is not responding any longer)

Kilobyte Kid
ssass24

I had pretty much all the same symptoms as you are having.  Sporadic lockups and BSOD starting in December and happening after 1 hour of use.  This on a machine at work that I must remote into at (unfortunately) all hours of the night, so it is on 24/7, and has been on since May or so when I bought the drive.

I called Crucial support.  The very knowledgeable guy that helped me suggested that the windows driver was causing the issue.  As my HP Z600 has an Intel chipset, he recommended downloading the latest driver.  He said the driver could be leaving the drive in a bad state, and then making it unavailable for any data transfer, which would lock up windows, and make in not visible after a warm boot.  Only after a power cycle it would come back.

I did the update and it made no difference.  He also suggested that the drive would get better over time, but after 3 consecutive cycles of the same exact problem, I gave up and called them back.  They RMA'ed the drive.

The thing that I did not ask that I wish I would have:  why would a Windows driver that has been working for 7 months all of the sudden be putting the drive in a bad state?  Doesn't make sense to me.

The part that stings is this has cost me at least 2 days of work in the past few weeks.  Trying to update BIOS firmware, drive firmware, moving partitions around and trying to get the OS imaged within the 1 hour window, then getting the OS back on a mechanical drive.   ..and some additional downtime at our plant for me not being able to get to this machine from home when things were down.  Not sure I can use the replacement drive when it gets here.

slz
Kilobyte Kid
slz

Glad I saw this thread. I was just about to buy an m4. I'll be holding out now until this issue is fixed.

JEDEC Jedi
m0fus

[ Edited ]

as soon as i get my tax refund, i'll buy at least two of the 128 gb M4

[ Edited ]

Is this happening on M4 drivers other than the 64 gig ones?   If yes, the title of this post should be changed to reflect this.

Crucial
Crucial_Dude

[ Edited ]

We are aware of an issue that is currently affecting a small number of users whereby their m4 causes their system to require a restart. This issue occurs after approximately 5,000 hours of actual “on time” use. Following the initial reboot, the system then requires subsequent restarts after each additional hour of use. However, the data on the SSD is unaffected and will not be lost due to this condition.

Through our investigation, we have determined the root cause of the problem and will be releasing a firmware update that rectifies the situation. We are currently running through our validation and compatibility process. Once this process is complete, the firmware will be made available to our customers. Although we understand the desire of some people to start using unreleased firmware now, we want to ensure that our solution works across multiple chipsets, systems, and operating systems before publishing the release code. We are currently targeting the week of January 16th, 2012 to publicly release the new firmware update.

We understand the impact that this is having on some users right now and apologize for this inconvenience. We appreciate your continued support, feedback, and patience as we finalize code and resolve this issue.

Dude, Crucial Employee, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
fastech

Thanks Crucial_Dude, appreciate the update.

Kilobyte Kid
ikachu

Yep thanks for the update; glad to hear it's a firmware issue.

Kilobyte Kid
Unhandled

[ Edited ]

I am presently losing money on my Bitcoin mining operation that runs off of 64 gb SSDs right now to the tune of ~$40/day, will you be providing a firmware solution to those of us willing to void our warranty to test this update on one of our SSDs?

Crucial
Crucial_Dude

We understand the desire of some people to start using unreleased firmware now, we want to ensure that our solution works across multiple chipsets, systems, and operating systems before publishing the release code. We are currently targeting the week of January 16th, 2012 to publicly release the new firmware update.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Dude, Crucial Employee, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service