Crucial
Crucial_Dude

BSOD Crucial M4

M4 customers,

We are aware of an issue that is currently affecting a small number of users whereby their m4 causes their system to require a restart. This issue occurs after approximately 5,000 hours of actual “on time” use. Following the initial reboot, the system then requires subsequent restarts after each additional hour of use. However, the data on the SSD is unaffected and will not be lost due to this condition.

Through our investigation, we have determined the root cause of the problem and will be releasing a firmware update that rectifies the situation. We are currently running through our validation and compatibility process. Once this process is complete, the firmware will be made available to our customers. Although we understand the desire of some people to start using unreleased firmware now, we want to ensure that our solution works across multiple chipsets, systems, and operating systems before publishing the release code. We are currently targeting the week of January 16th, 2012 to publicly release the new firmware update.

We understand the impact that this is having on some users right now and apologize for this inconvenience. We appreciate your continued support, feedback, and patience as we finalize code and resolve this issue.

Dude, Crucial Employee, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Memory Leak Geek
Ron5382

Re: BSOD Crucial M4

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the "heads-up"

I just ordered the M4 two days ago and it will be hear today...Thought for sure that I was going to have to send it back unopened.....upgrading from ***Edit to remove Crucial competitor*** to The M4 because of the M4's reputation for being stable.

Glad you guys are on top of this problem....Makes me feel much better about my purchase..

Just like to say hello to all members......

Ron

Kilobyte Kid
Whybother

Thank you for the quick response!

JEDEC Jedi
m0fus

hey ron, welcome!

Whybother wrote:

Thank you for the quick response!

i second why's comment!

thanks cruical_dude

Good thing, I was scared when I read about the problems...

Hopefully when the FW is released, no problems will arise.

Tracer Lite
DooRules

Can't ask for much more from any oem.

We admit there is an issue. We have worked on it and have a fix. It will be released in a few days.

No body or nothing is perfect, it's all in how you handle issues, own up and get it fixed. Good job Crucial.

Not like someone else who had 4 - 5 stickied threads blaming their issues on Intel. :smileytongue:

RIVE X79 with 3960x
3 x EVGA 580 HC2
16 GB Gskills 2133
2 x Plextor M3P 128 gb
2 x M4 128 GB in R0
1 x M4 128GB storage
Thermaltake 1200W PSU x 2
SODIMM Sherpa
tommyv2

I haven't hit anywhere near 5000 hours, but I love how Crucial is handling this. Admit the problem, fix it, and move on. I wish every company was so thoughtful.

SODIMM Sherpa
Doctor_Hades

[ Edited ]

Just my luck... I bought a 256 MB Crucial M4 SSD just before Christmas as an update to my previous 128 MB Crucial M225 SSD and have been delighted with it so far. Despite only having SATAII, my Windows Experience Index rating increased from 7.3 (the lowest figure from my previous SSD) to 7.8. I've had no problems with it so far but obviously I haven't used it anywhere near 5,200 hours yet and I always power my PC down when it's not in use anyway so it would be sometime before I reached that figure anyway. It's still a little unsettling to read about the issue though.

When I discovered it had the performance boosting firmware 009 I was ecstatic as I thought I'd have to mess around updating the firmware, which always carries a risk of something going wrong, no matter how small. As such I'm not too keen on doing them unless absolutely necessary. Obviously, in this case the firmware is necessary as eventually I'll reach that dreaded 5,200 hour use figure.

*sigh*

I guess I always have my M225 to fall back on if something goes wrong during the firmware update but why do I always buy things then find out there's a problem with them?

Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.7 GHz, ASUS P6T Deluxe v2209, 12 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1,600 MHz RAM, 2 x 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (SLI), Creative X-FI Titanium HD, 256 GB Crucial M4 SSD + 4 TB HDDs, 2 x BD-ROM/DVD-Rewriters, Cooler Master Silent M850 PSU, Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
JEDEC Jedi
m0fus

have you read the preceding posts? there is a fix in sight, and it didn't take long for crucial to do this, either. looks like you are rather lucky in your choice of ssds :smileywink: