Binary Boss
jpalmerlee

Complete Hard Drive Lockups, increasingly persistent C300-256 on P6X58D

I have the non-updated bios on my C300-256 and the latest bios version on my Asus P6X58D motherboard. I am connected to the 6gbps Marvell Controller (9123, original drivers) I have a 6gbps cable in this connection. Speed tests reveal fairly good performance otherwise, in line with other configurations. I am using W7 Professional 64bit with all latest drivers. I have done all the recommended tweaks to SSD's , Prefetch, Superfetch, index, etc. I also am using AHCI and MSACHI drivers.

Problem: With increasing frequency my system will stop responding for periods of 15-30 seconds and then resume and every task will resume. Its as if all activity on the drive stops then suddenly resumes later. It is occuring almost hourly at this point.  Any idea what I can do to fix this?

DIMMented
_jb

Re: Complete Hard Drive Lockups, increasingly persistent C300-256 on P6X58D

in reply to jpalmerlee

That is almost identical to my system, except I have a smaller 128GB C300.

How full is your C300 SSD? 

=jb

Bit Baby
shimbley

in reply to jpalmerlee

I have win 7 64 bit and a crucial CT128M225 as the operating system drive.  I have had this installed since Feb 2010.  Just about 2 weeks ago I started having the same problems intermittent hangs for about 30 to 60 seconds.  For this time the activity light stays steady on.  I still have approximately 40gig free.  I am using a sabertooth 55i motherboard.  Today I was running a file sync software and I got "read error press ctrl alt del to restart.", and since then the operating system will not boot.  Any suggestions?

Binary Boss
jpalmerlee

in reply to jpalmerlee

I have 168 gb free.

Binary Boss
Yemble

in reply to jpalmerlee

Could be file system corruption...

Try CHKDSK C: /R

Binary Boss
jpalmerlee

in reply to jpalmerlee

Tried it out... we'll see the results.

Binary Boss
DragonRR

[ Edited ]
in reply to jpalmerlee

I'm not sure if this is the same problem.

C300 256gb, a few weeks old. 172gb free

Firmware V2

Windows 7 64bit

Sometimes when I, for example, copy a small file to my desktop and then try to rename it or even delete it explorer hangs for 10-30secs. Five mins ago I created a folder with 5 400k wav files in it. I went to rename one. Explorer hung for 20 secs but Windows itself stayed active. When explorer became active again I shift-deleted the enitre folder. Nothing "seemed" to happen but actually all but one file inside the folder did delete. The remaining file just sat there. I couldn't then access the file. After a couple of minutes the file vanished but the folder stayed. I then shift-deleted the folder and it worked.

Needless to say this only happens on my SSD. Renaming, deleting files on my normal drives works without a problem.

Chkdsk shows no corruption.

The problem usually seems to occur when I try to do something with a file I've just copied on although I'm not 100% sure.

Binary Boss
jpalmerlee

in reply to jpalmerlee

Well, I reformatted the drive installing bios v2. Still experiencing the same problem. Randomly, my computer completely locks up. If I perform a ton of actions (ie clicking on my Firefox shortcut) those actions, after some time will eventually all perform at once, once the hard drive catches up. This is becoming increasingly annoying, it occurs in games, watching videos, booting, etc. No idea how to fix it.

DIMMented
_jb

in reply to jpalmerlee

Are you sure it's a hard drive problem?

You might want to download (free) Process Monitor from the Systems Internals guys.  They were bought out by Microsoft a while ago, but have been keeping all their tools up to date.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

There's the download link for Process Monitor.  It's a simple executable, so just put it in a folder some where and add a desktop shortcut.  Start it up and click the toolbar button to  "Show File System Activity."  Make sure the other four buttons are released, turned off, otherwise you will really get bombarded with info.  You can filter the info, but you shouldn't need to.  Just clear it right before you start up your programs and see what happens.

I'd be curious to see what happens.

-jb

Binary Boss
jpalmerlee

Ill try it out, thanks for the tip. What should I be looking for specifically after the long hang occurs?