Kilobyte Kid
dccwilliams

Crucial CT256M225 SSD drive crash/failure on MacBook Pro

Hi,

Around about 6 working days ago, I installed a 256GB Crucial CT256M225 SSD in my April 2009 MacBook Pro.

I am a software engineer and this machine is a workhorse with 8GB RAM installed, and runs both Snow Leopard and Windows Vista, which each have their own partition.

The install onto the drive went fine. Mac Disk Utility recognized the drive immediately and allowed me to make the necessary partitions.

There is no doubt the drive was "stress tested" by the numerous Windows security updates, Vista Service Pack 3 etc. However it

performed absolutely faultlessly (SATA was reported at 3Gbps, so I guess my machine doesn't have the problems of the

mid 2009 MacBook Pros).

But... argh OMG... two hours ago I put it into suspend (I had disabled safe sleep already, so for the avoidance of doubt, that had nothing to do with it) and when I opened the lid an hour later... the machine worked for a few seconds then seemed to freeze... and on rebooting I got the folder + question mark of death.

Booting using the Snow Leopard installation DVD, and running Disk Utility, I can see that the drive is no longer showing i.e. this looks like a total failure (and silly me, I lost a weeks work because I couldn't believe this drive would fail so soon... but anyway...)

MY BIG QUESTION, is whether other people are having similar experiences... should I put this down to experience and go back to a normal hard disk, or risk another CT256M225 on MacBook Pro hardware???

The drive performed great, and not having to worry about moving parts is superb... but only if this doesn't happen every time after a week!

Advice greatly appreciated.

Kilobyte Kid
Nato

Re: Crucial CT256M225 SSD drive crash/failure on MacBook Pro

in reply to dccwilliams

This just happened to me today also (same model CT256M225). I have had it in my MBP 3,1 for about 3 days then it died. (show the folder icon with the question mark in the folder). I have to put back my old hdd to continue my work.

I have put the ssd drive in my external enclosure to test it. both of my mac and my Windows don't see the drive. I guess I have to RMA the drive...

Sorry for my English

Memory Leak Geek
applepip

in reply to dccwilliams

I have the same drive in the same machine (13" version, no Bootcamp), with SSD firmware 1571, which I don't plan to update until there's a new new one, and it's currently working fine for me BUT.... 

I had repeated problems with sleep, which as far as I recall did result in the folder with flashing question mark a couple of times, but I was able to recover that, probably by holding down an appropriate key combo at boot up (sorry, don't remember exactly what happened when). Disabling the hibernate transfer fixed the problem for me for nearly a month now.

Maybe the Mac powers down the drive before it's finished all its complicated flash book keeping for the huge hibernate disk write. Maybe the later firmware sometimes leave the flash in an inconsistent state at this point, leading to a later failure.

I'm still nervous about this drive, but fairly confident the situation will eventually be sorted out via software updates for drive or Mac.

I too am a software engineer (but retired). My only suggestion is that an interaction via dual boot / boot camp / windows is turning safe sleep back on. (Mine is still safely unsafe in mode 0 after 3 weeks) Check out this guy who set up a cron job to whack it back off once an hour (crude but effective):

TidBITS Opinion: Stewing Over Safe Sleep

Did the failure happen after Vista was sleeping, or OS X? Is Vista using "safe sleep" - maybe Apple's Vista drivers transcribe that to NVRAM. 

Binary Boss
jonHemmingsen

in reply to dccwilliams

Hi

I have had 3 of theese drives die on me within hours of use. I ended up giving up on 13" MBP and M225. I how ever have a collague with the same combination of drive and MBP 13" - he is daily suffering crashes and system freezes. We have both tried all the advice found on the net even downgrading from 1.7 to 1.6 EFI, calling apple support (Dont waste your time as apple truly does not care about this problem). All I can say is that Crucial at least has a super great customer support and their other products has never failed me.The problem may be defect hardware in the SATA/SD controller combination of 13/15 inch MBP or just a bad EFI firmware. Apple has a forum thread with thousand of postings about the problem.

/Jon

Kilobyte Kid
jwloader

in reply to dccwilliams

Hi,

I too am having issues with my Late 2008 Macbook Pro (model 5,1)  Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0074.B01 /  SMC Version (system): 1.33f8 and also early 2008 Macbook (white).

I just received my CT256M255 and duly installed it in my MBP.

I booted from my Firewire disk and tried to format the SSD drive as Mac OS X Extended, Jornaled.  Disk Utility hung halfway through formatting and I had to force quit.

When I rebooted from my Firewire disk once more, the SSD drive wasn't recognised in Disk Utility.

I cold booted, booted from my Firewire disk and once logged ran I ran System Profiler.  The Serial-ATA section showed the disk as being present.

I tried to format the disk again - this time, it worked.

Great I thought, so I ran SuperDuper to restore all my data.  The restore started quickly - around 45 MB/sec, then dropped to 12 MB/sec, then hung and I had to force quit.  

When I rebooted from my Firewire disk, again the SSD disk was not recognised.

I tried an SMC reset, then I cold booted once again this time using my Snow Leopard DVD.  The Disk Utility program on the DVD failed to recognise the SSD.

I changed tack, and tried installing the SSD in my early 2008 Macbook white and booted from the Snow Leopard DVD.  Again, the SSD drive was not recognised.

I spoke with Crucial UK support who recommended me speaking to Apple to see if there was a firmware update for my Macbook Pro, but it's already up-to-date.  

I repeated the steps I have detailed above to the reseller who are going to issue an RMA for the drive.  I spoke to Crucial UK support again - they were in agreement with this course of action.

I *really* hope this is a faulty drive (my experience with my two Macbooks seem to suggest so) and that this does not turn into a nightmare.

Will keep you posted!

Cheers,

James

Bit Baby
mickm

in reply to jwloader

Doubt if it will help anybody but here goes. I installed a CT256M225 three days ago with no problem, did a clean install with SL and have had no problems at all. I have disabled the sudden shock system (SMS) and also the hibernate mode, sleep still enabled. MacBook Pro 13.3" June 2009 model

System as below:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

Serial Number (system): ??????????????????

Hardware UUID: 3DCA8CBC-111C-5907-8AC3-1ADAAB23DF57

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Disabled

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia

Product: MCP79 AHCI

Speed: 3 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

CRUCIAL_CT256M225:

Capacity: 256.06 GB (256,060,514,304 bytes)

Model: CRUCIAL_CT256M225                       

Revision: 1571    

Serial Number: P577492-BDBX-8259062

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Mac OS X HD:

Capacity: 255.72 GB (255,716,540,416 bytes)

Available: 146.36 GB (146,357,116,928 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

rjc
Memory Leak Geek
rjc

in reply to jwloader

Well, I have a MacBook Pro 5,1 with a 256Gb M225 - all working perfectly.

I used SuperDuper to make a bootable back to a FW800 drive.  Installed the SSD, booted from SnowLeopard DVD, used Disc Utility to format the drive then used it to copy the SuperDuper backup back to the SSD.  Lastly turned of the sudden motion sensor.   Not a single issue since, works perfectly.

Details as below...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0074.B01

SMC Version (system): 1.33f8

Serial Number (system):

Hardware UUID: 463A6A38-B3F5-5111-AD5E-E585F325DE72

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Disabled

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia

Product: MCP79 AHCI

Speed: 3 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

CRUCIAL_CT256M225:

Capacity: 256.06 GB (256,060,514,304 bytes)

Model: CRUCIAL_CT256M225                       

Revision: 1571    

Serial Number: P565045-HDIX-7019069

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Macintosh HD:

Capacity: 218.91 GB (218,909,114,368 bytes)

Available: 80.28 GB (80,283,918,336 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

BOOTCAMP:

Capacity: 36.81 GB (36,806,066,176 bytes)

Available: 11.4 GB (11,398,356,992 bytes)

Writable: No

File System: NTFS

BSD Name: disk0s3

Mount Point: /Volumes/BOOTCAMP

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lordgllynn

rjc -

Looks like you have NCQ enabled too. SSDs don't need that. You might be able to increase your performance some if you disable that.

rjc
Memory Leak Geek
rjc

in reply to lordgllynn

Over NCQ, I thought this was a good thing with SSD's.  As they have multiple channels for access to the flash, it can be used to spread the access via multiple channels.

As I have no way to turn this off in Snow Leopard (Max OS X 10.6) I cannot test this theory...

Kilobyte Kid
jwloader

in reply to jwloader

Well I'm very pleased to report that since the vendor replaced my faulty SSD drive, all is well.

I simply restored the contents of my HDD to my newly installed SSD using SuperDuper - the speed increase is extremely beneficial.  I can't wait to find out how many simultaneous tracks of 44.1 KHz / 24 bit audio I can record in Pro Tools and Logic!

Cheers,

James