Kilobyte Kid
NomisR

Re: Crucial M4 0002 Firmware Update feedback Thread

lsdmeasasp wrote:

You will have to do the update with the drive connected to another system then since it's unable to work with your laptop.   A desktop would be the best alternative to try this on, as they usually have more BIOS options than laptops

I don't have another computer available that can do this.  Would I be able to run the firmware update off of USB?  I may be able to do this at work. 

Kilobyte Kid
onemandivision

I found a way to create a bootable usb stick with the firmware update program from the cd. Have a look at my Howto thread: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/HOWTO-Update-SSD-Firmware-with-bootable-USB-Stick...

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

NomisR wrote:

lsdmeasasp wrote:

You will have to do the update with the drive connected to another system then since it's unable to work with your laptop.   A desktop would be the best alternative to try this on, as they usually have more BIOS options than laptops

I don't have another computer available that can do this.  Would I be able to run the firmware update off of USB?  I may be able to do this at work. 

Yes, you can update the firmware from USB as mentioned above, but since you cannot adjust BIOS disk settings on your laptop and the drive is not found then the same is going to happen with a USB update.

You need another system that will see the drive, or that allows you to adjust BIOS disk settings until you can see the drive.  That would be the same requirement if using CD or USB to update, they would both be the same in regards to this as it's nothing to do with how you are trying to flash but rather that the controller is not allowing the drive to be detected to the software update because it's not in the correct mode.

Bit Baby
rody084

Hello Everyone,

I have a Crucial M4 256GB drive in my MacBook Pro 15" (early 2011) via OWC Data Doubler. 

I have updated the drive to firmware v2, have let it idle for several hours, reset SMC and PRAM. My OSX Lion is basically unusable as every command results in a 1-2 minute beachball.

I do notice in system profiler (when viewed from my HDD still running a working copy of Lion) that the SSD drive does NOT show TRIM as being enabled. Is there a resource where I can find a way to enable TRIM? I tried a terminal code that I had found online but it did not work.

Also, does anyone have any other ideas of what I can try to make this drive usable?

Thanks in advance!

Memory Leak Geek
skwakk

Rody, I have the same configuration as yours (Macbook Pro 2011 15") and everything works fine. However, I plugged my SSD in the main SATA (6G) port and my old drive in the OWC bracket....as my optical sata is only 3G (I read some  units have both 6G sata).

After transferring SL to the SSD, I enabled TRIM by following this:

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

I then upgraded to Lion. Everything is working well.

Bit Baby
fosiacat

hi all, 

after updating to 0002 (which cured my constant freezing/pausing) i am finding now that at times (hard to say how often, but often enough that its driving me nuts, once or twice a day or more) what i am seeing is that i will change a tab in chrome, or switch to a different application, and the computer pauses for a second, and then all apps simply quit (regardless of activity, its as if im getting SIG KILL for everything, and the puzzling thing is, all the apps then RELAUNCH! they don't exactly go back to where i was (for example, i was just in the middle of creating a disk image in diskutility.. typically if you try to quit, you would get a notice saying "there is something going on, you SURE you wanna quit?" and it won't allow further action until you respond. what just happened was everything quit, the image creation simply stopped, and then all my apps re-launched and came back..but i had to start the image creation that i was doing all over again. 

does this make sense? its as if the computer is rebooting without.....rebooting. maddening. 

any help or suggestions would be great.

2011 Macbook Pro, running 10.7...

Memory:4 GB

Model Name:MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:MacBookPro8,1

Processor Name:Intel Core i5

Processor Speed:2.3 GHz

Number of Processors:1

Total Number of Cores:2

L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB

L3 Cache:3 MB

Content:Apple_Boot

Capacity:256.06 GB (256,060,514,304 bytes)

Model:M4-CT256M4SSD2                          

Revision:2

Serial Number:000000001116030633FD

Native Command Queuing:Yes

Queue Depth:32

Removable Media:No

Detachable Drive:No

BSD Name:disk0

Medium Type:smileyfrustrated:olid State

TRIM Support:Yes

Partition Map Type:GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status:Verified

Volumes:

disk0s1:

Capacity:209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

BSD Name:disk0s1

Content:EFI

Pink Opaque:

Capacity:255.2 GB (255,200,755,712 bytes)

Available:78.09 GB (78,091,685,888 bytes)

Writable:Yes

File System:Journaled HFS+

BSD Name:disk0s2

Mount Point:/

Content:Apple_HFS

Recovery HD:

Capacity:650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)

BSD Name:disk0s3

Kilobyte Kid
mac_user

Hi RC,

Congratulations for successful FW update with Mac mini!

I am using Mac mini server mid 2011, and wants to know how you did it in details.

The questions are:

1. What optical drive did you use?

2. What kind of boot option did you use? holding down "C"?

3. How did you burn .iso image to CD media?

Thank you in advance!

I am in pain!

Bit Baby
yuto

Hi there, 

I am having trouble following exactly what the instruction(http://www.crucial.com/firmware/m4/0002/ProductFlyer-letter_m4-firmware0002_06-11.pdf) says. 

How did you guys change the bios setting 4-c. "Change Sata mode to IDE Mode"?

I did research and I read the bios of intel mac is not accesible. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081022091127AAxqu0y

I guess I can ignore this part, but I am wondering how you guys get around this. 

Appreciate any help. THanks!

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

The newer firmwares (including those for the M4) work on AHCI in most cases.  And in the cases where it doesn't, it simply won't see the drive.  It won't do any harm.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
mac_user

In my case, with Mac mini server mid 2011.

Problem solved with Macbook Air Super Drive..