Bit Baby
xchaotic

Crucial M5?

It's been a year now, since m4 was introduced, I'm a happy owner since May.

Any plans to introduce m4 successor soon?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Crucial M5?

in reply to xchaotic

I'm not aware of one personally.  Read limit wise we're at the sata 3 limit now anyway.

You could boost the write speeds but (and this is my opinion here and no doubt differs from those trying to sell us SSD upgrades :smileyvery-happy: ) I'm not sure its worth it.  How often do you need to write fast?  The fastest blu-ray speed is 60mb/sec. My internet downloads at all of 5mb/sec.  Faster write speeds look good on paper but unless you're into high speed network monitoring I'm not sure I'd be wanting to pay a premium for the privalege.  Unfortunately, I suspect those high sequential speeds are what looks good on the box and sells product.

I guess if possible, boosting the IOPS and the all important small file speeds is where i'd focus any new drive.

But I kind of like the fact that the M4 is continuously dropping in price.  I personally favour a period of a fast reliable drive dropping towards more mainstream prices than continuously cutting edge hardware.  Power users are goign to want a new toy soon though I expect so they;re probably goign to need a new drive at some point.  I hope if there is one it doesn't ramp the prices up again or if it does there's a mainstream version of it or the M4 is kept around or something.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Upgrade Ace
error-id10t

in reply to xchaotic

Personally I think they have a lot of work to do to bring up the speed of the current M4. Technology hasn't changed but there are competitors out there with the same Controller being faster than what Crucials own SSD is.. only because of the firmware.

If and when M5 comes (whatever it will be called), they'll likely use the new Controller so it's not like they need to hold back and bring gains that way.

Bit Baby
1080_P

[ Edited ]
in reply to xchaotic

Personally I am waiting for the M5 and holding on to my money, I have seen the ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor***, and its really fast.

I hope that crucial uses the same controller, and writes a kick-**bleep** firmware, that matches or supersedes the speeds on the ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor***. 

If I had to have an ssd now, id go for the ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor***, but Id rather go for crucial. I really do not want to buy the first drive with this new controller, because I can not make a comparison yet. Crucial might do it better then ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor***!  I was thinking about getting the 128GB one, but since I am waiting, and saving.. I might get the 256GB if crucial releases the new drive around June of this year.

I don't really mind the write speeds, though its nice when you are copying things, and if I am going to use thunderbolt periphrasis I might look at it. For now though, small files, IOPS are the most important for me :smileyhappy:

SODIMM Sherpa
Holt

in reply to 1080_P
The m5 will be out when 20nm NAND production process is nature for SSDs and I expect it to have the new Marvell 88SS9187 Controller. Anything else would be disapointing. If you look ip the news at anandtech how else uses that controller, rebranded and overclocked and compare the performance gains in IOPS, small block transfers and seq. write speed against the same competetors SSDs with the rebranded and overclocked Marvell currently used in the m4 and compare that performance to the m4: The m5 should do even better and should become the fastet SATA SSD out there. Just how long it will take and how much the m5 will cost compared to the m4, this I can not predict either. For the time beeing, it is as always with computer hardware: You can always wait for the next generator that will be faster and cheaper or you buy when you (feel you) need something. After the m5 there will be a m6 comming.....
Bit Baby
1080_P

I would really like it if they would let us know that 

1. they are working on it

2. its coming soon

3. anything

I dont know how much longer I can work with this 5400 rpm drive I have, I really want an ssd, and now that the new *cant tell here* drive is out with the new marvell controller, I am inclined to just buy that and get it over with.. :smileysad:

Bit Baby
1080_P

in reply to 1080_P

Nothing yet?

SODIMM Sherpa
tommyv2

in reply to error-id10t

error-id10t wrote:

Personally I think they have a lot of work to do to bring up the speed of the current M4. Technology hasn't changed but there are competitors out there with the same Controller being faster than what Crucials own SSD is.. only because of the firmware.

If and when M5 comes (whatever it will be called), they'll likely use the new Controller so it's not like they need to hold back and bring gains that way.

Absolutely not true. Many of them use Toggle NAND, not the same type of flash memory that Crucial uses in the M4. They perform very differently. Since Micron makes the normal NAND for Crucial, it would make zero business sense to buy a competitor's NAND to put into their own consumer drives!

Dual Channel Surfer
alex486

in reply to xchaotic

If Crucial say the m5 is coming "real soon now", then people won't want to buy the "old one", so Crucial will have to drop the price of the m4 before the replacement is ready.

If the m5 comes out and is quite different to the m4 and much faster than the m4, then that will mean two things:

1. Much greater price than the m4.
2. Perhaps a greater risk than the m4, since a totally new design will mean more unknown factors, more firmware updates needed...

On the other hand, if it turns out to be just a minor improvement over the m4, you will regret waiting when you could have had the m4 already.

The worst thing would be if Crucial rushed to market a product that wasn't properly tested.

Bit Baby
1080_P

in reply to alex486

Yes reliability is key, I just saw a video about inte*s reliability and its really good, Im of the opinion that crucial is doing really good at the moment with their m4. 

The prices of the m4 are dropping every week here in the Netherlands! I guess when more competitors come to the market with the new controller and new firmware, crucial has to has an answer. I would just like them to be one of the first with a new drive :smileyhappy: To bad we can not see if the m4 supply is dwindeling, that would be a good indicator of a new drive, since if they sell all their drives they would not loose anything :smileyhappy: