Kilobyte Kid
Matty87

M4 256Gb SSD problem

Afternoon all,

I bought a new PC recently with all the bells and whistles and it uses a M4 256Gb SSD as the C:/ drive (running Win7 Professional 64-bit).  I wanted extra space to play with so I bought the exact same model SSD figuring that it would work better than mixing and matching.

I plug the thing in and it doesn't show in "My Computer".  I've checked the BIOS and it shows there and reads exactly the same as the master drive, I've plugged it into different ports and used a different cable incase I had duff ones, and I've also check on "Device Manager" where it shows up there.

I've done a bit more hunting in the properties tab for the drive in "Device Manager" though; under the "Volumes" tab when I try to populate it the window crashes, and when I show "Hardware Ids" in the "Details" tab I notice that it reads "0009" compared to my master drive which reads "0309".

To me it looks like it needs an update which seems fairly straight forward BUT... I'm not confident of running the update incase I end up updating my master drive and causing all sorts of problems.

So, does anyone have any advice/hints/tips for updating the firmware of a non-master SSD without resulting in me crying? Or indeed does anyone have any ideas as to other possibilities as to why this SSD isn't working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

Re: M4 256Gb SSD problem

You need to initialize the disk and assign it a drive letter before it will show up in your my computer.   You do that with Disk management, right click my computer icon on your desktop and choose manage or type this in a run box >> diskmgmt.msc

Answer MBR when you open Disk Management if it asks, then right click the box on the left for the drive and choose initialize, then in the middle area where it says RAW for the disk right click and choose assign drive letter. Then once you format it you'll be set!

You should format the drive with diskpart from the command prompt, open a command prompt and type diskpart, then follow the following guide to format and align a partition.

BE SURE you enter the correct drive number, based on the new drives number from Disk Management!

Since this will be a secondary drive I assume, not your C main OS drive, you will not be using Zero, so be sure to keep that in mind while following the guide below.

Once you are done with this we'll help you update the firmware!

Diskpart commands to align and create a partition

Diskpart >List Disk

(Here note the Disk # you want to align and create on based on size of drive, if only one drive then you are fine disk 0 will be the one you need)

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
(Or other disk number if need be)

Diskpart > List Partition
(Just to ensure you have the correct disk listed and no partitions are found)

Diskpart > Clean
(Removes any previous partition table information, and or MBR's)

Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
(To create and align your partition)

Diskpart> Format Quick FS=NTFS
(To Quick format-NTFS)

(To check partition was created properly and aligned)

Diskpart > Active
(To set partition Active for OS Install)

Diskpart > Exit

Done!

Clean and simple for those who have only one disk connected and need no explanations

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
Diskpart > Clean
Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
Diskpart > Format Quick FS=NTFS
Diskpart > Active
Diskpart > Exit

Kilobyte Kid
Matty87

Evening,

I never even knew I had to do that! Last time I installed a new hard drive was on an old Win XP machine... been a bit slow with keeping up with the times.

I followed your steps as much as I could, but the drive didn't show in the middle area after it was initialised, but I managed to assign a drive letter and format it though right-clicking the where the drive showed (at the bottom of the management window).  The short of the long of it is that the drive now works as it should, which makes me happy.

Will a firmware update still required do you think?

Many thanks for your help so though.

Matt

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

Sorry this will be short, I'm in a hurry on my way out the door.   Yes, it would be best to still update the firmware, however, you should have waited for more help as it's very important that you align the drive and not create a partition with the disk management toot.

There was no problem in the middle, the drive was not meant to be visible in your my computer until after you finished the partition guide, but sorry I  did forgot to put the assign command in there for you, which assigns the drive letter!    So can you please show me an image of your disk management window and I will write out a set of commands specifically for your disk again, including the assign command this time too!  Which may not be required since you already assigned a letter, but you still need to format the drive with alignment correctly, otherwise it will be slow and can corrupt data.

If you feel you understood the guide enough to try again without a new one, this is the command to assign or remove a drive letter, you would do this anytime after the format quick command, before you exit diskpart

Diskpart > Assign Letter=X       (Where X is the letter you wish to assign)

Diskpart > Remove Letter=X    (Where X is the letter you wish to assign)

If you go ahead without a new list of commands, BE SURE you select the disk based on the same numerical value as it's listed using in Disk Management, that way you do not select the C drive which would normally be disk zero

Kilobyte Kid
Matty87

Well to avoid any further confusion on my part I should probably wait and see what you guys make of this screen-grab.

The data thats on there now can easily be taken off as its not at all important.

http://imageshack.us/f/31/diskmanagementsnap.jpg/

Thanks for your help with this still.

Matt

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]

What do you want us to check?  That looks like a normal windows 7 install, with the 100MB hidden system reserved partition.  That all looks correct if you wanted don't mind the hidden partition, and that type of setup is perfectly normal for users that do not align there own drives manually.

As for the alignment itself, you'll need to show us an image of this benchmark, select the SSD drive (C) and post an image of it here.   You can run the benchmark, or not, we only need to see the information in the upper left corner to check alignment.   It will say alignment amount - Good in green or alignment amount - BAD in Red (if it's bad)

Download is at the very bottom of the page

http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9

Kilobyte Kid
Matty87

If it all looks good then Ill leave it as it is since I'm not having any issues with it.

Thanks for your input and help with all this though, It's been most appreciated.

Kind Regards

Matt

Binary Boss
boogeyman

He's not saying it all looks good until you download the program he links to so we can see if it's properly aligned.

Kilobyte Kid
Matty87

Ok,

This is the benchmark test for my C:/ drive: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/cdriveasssdbenchm4ct256.png/

And this is the one for the new "G:/" drive: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/gdriveasssdbenchm4ct256.png/

Let me know if and what I need to do or if there's any other info you folks need.

Kind regards

Matt

Binary Boss
boogeyman

Looks properly aligned but the ide driver mode is not doing you any favors. See how it's RED - BAD.

You should run in AHCI but you need to do the registry change (Google it) and set that mode in the BIOS.