Kilobyte Kid
entilza
Accepted Solution

M500 detected but not booting

Hi team,

I have a new Crucial M500 (480GB) with a cloned boot partition on it, set as a Primary disk.  It is refusing to boot.  It sits on an ASUS P6T motherboard.  (NB: The M500 was aligned as per recommended install guides for cloning.)

To begin with, I had cloned an existing HDD-based system disk to the M500 SSD.  The SSD looks like it is working fine as a "passive disk" under Win 7.  All the files are there and Win 7 is having no issues with it.

Rebooting and reconfiguring the BIOS, I swap the M500 into the boot list, ready to be booted from.  However, upon rebooting with the M500 as the system disk, the BIOS reports "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

I'm guessing either the BIOS can't find the boot sector on the M500, or the BIOS thinks the storage device can't be booted from at all for other reasons.  Just a guess.

A search here found similar problems with older Crucial SSD's, but they were fixed by patching the SSD firmware.  It appears the M500 has no firmware available at this stage (??).

I have updated the BIOS to the latest one (1408, Nov 2010) and done the same for the chipsets on the mobo.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Ent.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: M500 detected but not booting

Did you clone the 100Mb boot patition?  You would need to.

What cloning software did you use? http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx is good and free.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
entilza

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I'm using EaseUS Partition Master.

Re: your point about cloning the 100MB boot partition - no I did not.  I have one, but it's strange.  It does not sit with the system disk, but rather is a partition off a data HDD (not a booting disk!) that I installed long ago.  I don't recall seeing this 100MB partition prior to installing the data disk and have always wondered what it was doing there.

I have copied the partition to a new partition on the SSD.  It still does not boot.

Is there anything I have to do to tell the BIOS or Windows to look to that new partition for booting?

Thanks again

Ent.

Kilobyte Kid
entilza

Doing some further research, it appears I need to set the newly copied 100Mb "boot partition" on the SSD to be Active.

However, I am shy of doing this because it sounds like the system won't be rebootable if it fails.

Is this the right thing to do?  And how does that Active boot partition have a "relationship" with the SSD Windows partition?  As per my previous post, my boot partition is on a different disk to Windows currently.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

So isgnoring the SSD for a sec, for your current Windows install, the OS is on one drive but the boot partition is on another?  I don't actually know what to do about that.  If it were me, I'd unplug all other drives but the SSD and clean install Windows to ensure the boot partition is on the corrrect drives with the SSD.  But obviously you'd have to install all your apps again.

If you do need to clone, and no-one else here can help, I'd recommend asking on for advice on the forum for your cloning software.  Perhaps they've seen this setup before?  Or are they the ones advising to set the partition active?  I'm not sure what you can do but try their advice if that is the case.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
entilza

Thanks for helping.

I've pretty much resolved to try a fresh install and see if the SSD works fine.  If it does, I will try a Windows restore to the SSD (from the original HDD) and see where that ends up.

I had run Windows Repair on the SSD.  With the old HDD's turned off, it gives me two OS boot options (both windows).  One errors stating the hardware can't be found, and the other appears to be the true SSD and it either bluescreens (text is only on screen for a fraction of a second before it reboots) or it boots into windows with the background saying the copy of Windows is not genuine (incorrect) and with no icons or buttons to click on, and no right menues either.  Very weird.

I'll report back how the fresh install goes.

Ent

Kilobyte Kid
entilza

OK - this issue has been resolved, but unfortunately there was no clear reason why or how it was resolved.

Some highlights of the next phase of trial and error, roughly in order:

The clean install of windows partially succeeded.  It booted, but immediately reported the copy was non genuine.  Not sure if this is normal behaviour for Win 7 that hasn't registered yet.

I then attempted a restore of the Win 7 image (made by Win 7 itself) and these all failed after a few seconds of attempting to restore.

Then then tried copying the HDD copy of Win 7 yet again using EaseUS partition master (setting the partition to Active), and this time it partially worked.  But the desktop was locked out, complete with non genuine warning.

I then tried yet another copy (again setting the partition to Active) and it worked!  Perfect copy, no non genuine warnings, no BSoDs, no locked desktops.  It's booted perfectly ever since.

Really, I have no idea why my situation kept improving.  I was not flashing chips in between these tests - that was the first thing I did.  But for some reason, ever since I got a successful boot off the clean install, every image copy attempt I made worked better each time.

I've never seen anything like it before. I can't explain it.