Kilobyte Kid
royn

Re: MacBook Pro w/ M225 SSD can't boot from Windows CD/DVD & Boot Camp

ok, went through hell to upgrade the firmware on my m225, then put it back in my macbookpro just to confirm it makes no difference to the windows bootcamp deal...

so thats it? no way to install bootcamp?! pathetic....

Memory Leak Geek
BoClawson

OK, so we know that incompatibility stops my $700+ 256GB Crucial SSD from doing what it was bought to do:  Run Windows7 fast on my MacBook Pro.

A Fact:  Apple sells 90% of ALL notebooks in the U.S. priced over $1000.  Apple's market share should make Crucial responsive to customers needs, BIG TIME, given this is a core product growth area.  Crucial needs to state what solution/s are available to the 90% of laptop users in the U.S., some of who NEED windows on their Macs.

This is not too much to ask and the solutions are limited:  Special firmware, software, installs or just a new Crucial SSD with appropriate guarantee of merchantability for the task.  SSD's have to be a core product at Crucial and a solution or solutions certainly exists, so lets hear it straight right now.

Crucial Moderator:  Please consult with top SSD management and get us a "straight" SOLUTION.  No canned answers.  Get a REAL solution so all of us users can offer a solution to the other dozens of Mac laptop users we know and interact with on a routine basis.  That is what this forum is for.  This is the same sort of solution I must answer for my work everyday.  If I gave "no current solution" as an answer, I would be out of business.

From a User's Standpoint:  Buying a nearly $800 boat anchor is not an easy pill to swallow.  You support us, and we support you.  Turn about is fair play.

Many Thanks - Bo

Memory Leak Geek
BoClawson

To Clarify My Prior Post Asking for BootCamp Solutions for the M225:  My 2008 early MBPro Mac OSX 10.6.2 with the 256Gb SSD works wonders in that it drops boot, opens & save times by about half over my prior 7200 rpm HD.  That is great…as far as it goes.  In today's world, half way is not far enough.

Macro Perspective:  Not running Windows7 (XP & Vista, too) in native mode via Boot Camp means carrying 2 laptops on the road.  That conservatively adds nearly 15 pounds extra to wang around all day, and that hurts.  Worse yet, it makes me look like a wonky programmer, pulling out two laptops.

In other words, an SSD that cuts my physical load in half is why I spent $1000 on the SSD and the extra Crucial memory (6GB) so I could stay 'up to snuff'.

Crucial may look at it as if it is a minor issue (probably only a $250 cost to Crucial to make the M225 SSD), but to us users who bought in good faith, we have been left hanging with a large expenditure.  That is not good P.R.

With the new MB Pros due to come out in March, we will start all over wanting to know if both OLD & NEW Crucial SSDs are going to support Boot Camp "Out of the Box", or whether the "old" Crucial SSDs will run and support Boot Camp in the new machines.

Can we have some direct reply on the situation?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]

Not meaning to start a flame war but I do like the fact that Macs greatest claim to fame effectively involves being high priced. :smileyvery-happy:

Would be nice for some official comment as to whether the fault lies with SSD's Or Apples EFI though. I suspect the EFI seeing as early Intel drives didn't work either - though their later drives with a later version of the boot loader (not firmware) do work.  So the question is - did Intel work around an EFI problem in which case these complaints should be at Apple?  Or did both main SSD competitors (Intel and Indilinx) happen to have the same fault?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Memory Leak Geek
BoClawson

I have no complaint about Macs being high priced & no flame war is ever needed.

For me to run SolidWorks 3D & FEA analysis applications like Mold Flow means I have $20k+ in software on the Windows side).  So much for cost savings in any significant % of the total system price.

Buying a Dell that is CAPABLE of running those things fast is…well let's see.  I just used one at SolidWorks World.  A simple 4 step mold fill application took 30 minutes to render on the M6400.  That is 30 minutes for one short analysis.

The Dell M6400 that ran it (not as fast as I would like) was about $4,882, not including tax or shipping & I would prefer the nextgen chipset. 

I figure the next generation MacBook Pro (due in March) decked out w/8 GB memory and at least the 254GB Crucial SSD is going to be more cost effective and safer all the way around than a Dell M6400.

I don't do flame wars. Facts suffice.

Bit Baby
PhilD

so, will this problem be fixed by crucial?

Memory Leak Geek
BoClawson

According to Crucial, it is Apple's problem.  Crucial is particularly closed mouth.  That is ad odds with Crucial's policy on memory chips where they tell you each specific computer model and exactly which chip works.  Crucial DOES NOT do so with the SSDs.

The early 2008 Mac Book Pro has a boot loader apparently that has an error that prevents it acknowledging the Crucial SSD I noted.

You can apparently hack the Mac Book Pro with some open source stuff (maybe http://sourceforge.net/projects/refit/) to make it work.  I am not so sure about this as I don't find easy confirmation anywhere.

Everyone seems so **bleep** closed mouthed about this it is frustrating.  What is the BIG secret here?  All I want is a simple statement of what the workaround is and neither Crucial or Apple wants to talk about it.

Memory Leak Geek
borice

I'm also affected by this problem.  I was able to successfully partition the disk to allocate space for the Windows partition, and also successfully installed Windows 7 (tried both 32 bit and 64 bit versions).  The problem is that upon restart after finishing the first stage of the Win7 install, the computer would bluescreen at boot.

My computer:

Model Name:    MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacBookPro5,3
  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    2.8 GHz

Boot ROM Version:    MBP53.00AC.B03
  SMC Version (system):    1.48f2

Crucial - please step up and find a solution to this problem!!!!

Memory Leak Geek
borice

Still no solution for this?  What's taking so long?

Bit Baby
Jillamyalice

Ok just to play catchup. I have a 128 M225 delivered and am awaiting a new 13" MBP which I need to bootcamp with Windows 7 Enterprise. Am I right in stating as of now this will not work with bootcamp on a brand new MBP 13" and this is effectively useless to me? If so will Crucial accept a return as defective merchandise and are there other working Crucial options ? **bleep** :-(