Kilobyte Kid
K3cT

Need help using Parted Magic to revive my dead 64GB M4.

Hi, 

My first post here, pleased to make your acquintances. :smileyhappy:

I'm having a rather serious problem with my Crucial M4 drive and hopefully I can get some inputs from the community here to troubleshoot the issues. Long story short, recently after updating to the latest firmware 040H I seem to be getting frequent BSODs with the error message "Kernel Data Inpage Error" and now the hard drive is no longer detected in the BIOS. 

I have tried the two popular solutions namely, the 30-minutes power cycle and letting the drive sit for 6-8 hours which supposedly activates its active garbage collection function, unfortunately to no avail. 

After some research on the Internet, I have discovered some success stories of people using the Parted Magic program to revive their M4s. I'm unfamiliar with Linux so a little hand-holding is required here. I followed the instructions and booted the program with a USB thumb drive but the M4 remains undected. I then proceeded to unplug and replug the SSD and fortunately, the hard drive is now detected in the system profiler and disk health but I cannot access it at all. I guess this is a little good news because it means that at least the M4 is not bricked. 

The question is what should I do next in Parted Magic? 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Kilobyte Kid
K3cT

For the record, this is how the M4 looks like using the G...

For the record, this is how the M4 looks like using the GParted utility in Parted Magic.

Kilobyte Kid
K3cT

Here is what the GSmartControl reports when I try to acce...

Here is what the GSmartControl reports when I try to access the SSD. Hopefully this will help to diagnose the problem.

Command: 'smartctl' -i -H -c '/dev/sda'

Output:

smartctl 6.0 2012-10-10 r3643 [i686-linux-3.7.5-pmagic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-12, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Vendor:               /0:0:0:0
Product:              
User Capacity:        600,332,565,813,390,450 bytes [600 PB]
Logical block size:   774843950 bytes
>> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

Command: 'smartctl' -H -i -c -A -l error -l selftest -l selective '/dev/sda'

Output:

Product:              
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

Upgrade Ace
front360

Re: Need help using Parted Magic to revive my dead 64GB M4.

In Parted Magic, open the program Disk Erase(I think, or Erase Disk) and run Internal Secure Erase command.  Click "No" if you are asked to run the 'Advanced' Secure Erase.  Make sure you only erase the M4 Disk and not any other Disks you may have connected.  All data will be erased and cannot be recovered, so clone or backup drive prior to erasing.

Kilobyte Kid
K3cT

in reply to front360
Hi, I got an error message "this routine can only run for disks supporting the security mode feature set" for Secure Erase.
Kilobyte Kid
K3cT

In the event that Secure Erase does not work, which erase method will work best? 

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

[ Edited ]

It seems you drive is not being recognised correctly - user capacity 600PB it is not a good news here.
Are you able to see the content of the drive somehow? (Windows, Linux, external USB enclosure)
I think the most important thing would be to let the drive be recognised correctly and then I would try either reflashing 040H firmware with ISO Manual Boot File method or I would try flashing with 000F firmware.
Parted Magic is easy to use and it works with M4s but they should be recognised correctly prior to secure erase.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
K3cT

in reply to bogdan
Unfortunately no, whether from the PC itself or attached externally to USB enclosure. Parted Magic seems to detect the drive but I kept getting I/O errors if I tried to open the content in file manager. On external enclosure, the SSD is not detected at all.

Is there an alternative power cycle procedure that I can use?
Dual Channel Surfer
alex486

Re: Here is what the GSmartControl reports when I try to acce...

K3cT wrote:
Command: 'smartctl' -i -H -c '/dev/sda'

Output:

Product:              

I'm not sure what Parted Magic does in the background, but from command line, did you try running smartctl using the "-T permissive" options?

e.g. # smartctl -i -H -c -T permissive /dev/sda

In any case, what the messages are suggesting is that the drive is not responding to some ATA and SMART commands, so we should use the 'permissive' tolerance level.

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/man/smartctl.8.html

This suggests some type of drive failure or perhaps some other ATA/SATA interface issue. Perhaps it might be worth moving the drive to another machine or at least try a different SATA port.

You could also try some of the secure erase options here:

http://tinyapps.org/docs/wipe_drives_hdparm.html

Kilobyte Kid
K3cT

Re: Here is what the GSmartControl reports when I try to acce...

in reply to alex486
It gives me an "Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page" error when I tried to run # smartctl -i -H -c -T permissive /dev/sda

I tried switching to another machine to run Parted Magic, no luck either.

Is the drive a lost cause at this point of time?