Memory Leak Geek
mstein

Re: Problem with boot on SSD crucial M4 256Go on ASUS N73SV

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with a laptop ASUS ref: N53SN-SZ126V with a Crucial CT256M4SSD2 replacing the original HDD (AHCI & Intel controller).

When the computer is completely shutdown (that includes hibernation), a cold boot will just hang for several seconds, then automatically reboots and launch Windows 7 correctly.

I also had the occasional freezing, but I've just applied the LPM fix, so I'll see if that does the trick for this specific issue.

I hope that a new firmware will be able to fix this issue, I bought a Crucial SSD because I thought I wouldn't have to tweak it too much by myself to make it work correctly.

Regards,

M. STEIN

Bit Baby
rich4066

Good moning chaps,

I have just installed a 256gb in my vaio and am having the same issues.

Recognised in bios, Win7 64 installed fine but hangs on cold boot. reboots from windows fine but will not boot cleanly from power up.

Tried the ctrl-alt-del and that seems to cure the 'hang'. Guess it fools it into thinking its a reboot.

Reading the posts I would tend to lean towards a firmware issue and needs to be addressed ASAP. Its a lot of money to spend on a disk if it doesnt work as it should.

Rich

Kilobyte Kid
dvanzan

Hi,

I have the same problem on an ASUS N53SN with a crucial M4 256GB SSD

The system wont cold boot Windows 7 x64 if I dont enter then exit BIOS without powering off

Sometimes in Windows 7 I have severe slowdown due to disk access

In the BIOS, the SATA mode is set to AHCI

The computer is far slower than with the classic Hard Drive

Last Asus BIOS revision (206)

Even with a fresh Win7 install the problem is present

I am really disapointed as the SSD upgrade was to speed up the system

Kilobyte Kid
dvanzan

The only workaround I have found is to switch Windows 7 from AHCI to IDE using this trick :

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271218-switch-ahci-ide-tutorial-howto.html

Then change SATA mode to IDE in the BIOS

And apply the LPM fix in registry

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]
"LPM"=dword:00000000
"LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000000
"DIPM"=dword:00000000

Kilobyte Kid
dvanzan

Hi guys

I found a solution to the cold freeze problem with SSD and Asus N53SN with AHCI enabled

In BIOS, enable Fancystart and set the logo to Animated

Ensure that SATA mode is set to AHCI, save, reboot and shutdown the computer. Restart

and voila!  no more freeze on cold start

Further informations:

I think that enabling the animated Intel logo give enough time to the system to detect the SSD in AHCI mode at cold power on (millisecond in human conception but years in computer point of view... TRON)

Ensure that in Windows 7 you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers installed (IRST) and the SATA controller set to Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

(if you have switch to ide controller before, you will have to manually override the SATA controller 1C09 to Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller driver in computer management then reboot and change the controler mode to AHCI or you will have a BSOD)

Here are the tweaks I applied in Windows

- Windows search service disabled

- Defragmenter service disabled

- LPM fix in registry applied to avoid random freezing

- System restore disabled

- I did not disabled write cache on the disk, neither Pagefile nor Hibernating

Hope that it will help

Memory Leak Geek
mstein

[ Edited ]

Hi dvanzan,

Thanks a lot, it worked! I didn't try to activate these options in the BIOS before because I didn't see how the fancystart could change anything with this issue, but your guess about giving enough time to the system to detect the SSD may be true :smileywink:

Well, in my case, I had an ASUS N53SN like yours, so I could apply the same workaround, I don't know if this fix can be applied on other brands' laptops, so we're still waiting for a Crucial staff member intervention for a global solution!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your fix.

A summary of my settings:

- LPM fix in registry to avoid the random freezes

- Using Intel SATA AHCI Controller

- Fancystart enabled in BIOS

- Logo type set to "animated" in BIOS

Regards,

M. Stein

Kilobyte Kid
dvanzan

de nada Mr Stein

I hope Crucial will release a firmware update that improve the SSD startup delay at boot time in SATA AHCI mode

Regards

Binary Boss
oressac

I have the same problem with the x53sv..

Kilobyte Kid
marten

The new M4 firmware (0002) does not fix the problem that I have on the HP 8540w.

Kilobyte Kid
amiax

Exactly the same problem in my SONY laptop. How can i disable that AHCI in BIOS there are too few options in laptop BIOS